Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bartman

One External Drive packed it up...

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My Seagate 1TB drive packed it up on me. I have 2 other 1TB WD's and they're still doing fine. This particular one had most of my TV shows on it as opposed to others with Movies. So I went online looking for Free Recovery software. Found a couple but neither one could help, One could see all the Video files but said they were Unrecoverable. So I decided I had to Bite the Bullet and look for some Pay software. I shelled out $50 online for Acronis Revive. Long story short, this one Worked! I hooked up a spare WD 1TB drive on one USB slot and the Bad Seagate on another. It scanned the Seagate and listed all the File Folders for each show. All I had to do was check each folder one at a time and denote the WD drive as the Target drive. This software recovered every video file but it took me Hours over 3 days to do each file folder one by one. FYI, 1 TB is a Buttload of TV shows! Every Season of Seinfeld, Taxi, Married w/Children, Las Vegas, The Big Bang, both Battlestar series, Old & New etc. etc, etc... GEEZ!!! Maybe I could've checked All the File Folders at once and just let it run but I did it I guess the Hard way, each folder one by one to see if all the Video files were recovered. Everything was Saved! So I Formatted the old Seagate and it shows as good now and all empty but don't know if I can trust it anymore. I'll grab a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup all my movies & TV shows on them just in case. WHEW!!!

Edited by Bartman

Good info......

Family pics are the only thing I would worry about and have them backed up on a separate external.....

Glad you got it back, and thanks for posting this in case any of the rest of us are ever faced with a similar problem-- I have yet to have an external go bad, but its bound to happen someday.

Edited by Saticon3

On 1/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, Saticon3 said:

Glad you got it back, and thanks for posting this in case any of the rest of us are ever faced with a similar problem-- I have yet to have an external go bad, but its bound to happen someday.

Everything was recovered and transferred to another ext drive but the 1st one somehow lost its file structure. It just came up as my F: drive but all the folders didn't show and Windows told me I had to Format it for me to use it. The "Acronis - Revive" software found everything and I was able to copy it all again to another drive. An IT guy at work said it lost "something, something" when I told him about it but I don't remember specifically what he said. I asked him if it would be OK now that I reformatted it and if I could trust it again and he kinda shrugged his shoulders and said that was up to me. Gee Thanks! Think I'll just order a couple more 1TB externals and back everything up just in case.

Yeah, I think I would use it, because I hate discarding things that can still be used. but I would just use it for stuff I didn't mind losing

Think I'll use it for Backup on the Main PC upstairs. That's got an Old Iomega full size 1TB drive backup that has its own power supply. That thing's gotta be 10yrs old or more! Would free up some of the desk clutter. I never see anyone with those big old things anymore.

Edited by Bartman

How old was it Bart? Seagates are pretty reliable. I have a 500GB model that's 10 years old. 

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

How old was it Bart? Seagates are pretty reliable. I have a 500GB model that's 10 years old. 

Best guess it was abt 4yrs old. Was putting TV shows on the Seagate and the WD has the Movies. My WD Elements 1TB drive is at least 5yrs old and not a hiccup out of it. The Micca Speck is sitting on the front of the 50" TV stand. I had the Movie drive on the left side of the stand & the TV drive on the right so I could just switch between them anytime. Both drives look different and that way I figured I wouldn't mix them up. Gonna get a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup everything. Have to anyway since the 2 WDs I have now are both almost Full! Glad I had the One Spare I could use and Luckily I recovered everything off the Seagate. The Specs say the Micca can handle up to a 2TB drive, But 1TB is a Buttload of Folders with movies & TV shows as it is and a 2TB drive would just be Ridiculous! I'm sure you've spent time scrolling down the screen on the TV!

Edited by Bartman