Bartman

One External Drive packed it up...

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My Seagate 1TB drive packed it up on me. I have 2 other 1TB WD's and they're still doing fine. This particular one had most of my TV shows on it as opposed to others with Movies. So I went online looking for Free Recovery software. Found a couple but neither one could help, One could see all the Video files but said they were Unrecoverable. So I decided I had to Bite the Bullet and look for some Pay software. I shelled out $50 online for Acronis Revive. Long story short, this one Worked! I hooked up a spare WD 1TB drive on one USB slot and the Bad Seagate on another. It scanned the Seagate and listed all the File Folders for each show. All I had to do was check each folder one at a time and denote the WD drive as the Target drive. This software recovered every video file but it took me Hours over 3 days to do each file folder one by one. FYI, 1 TB is a Buttload of TV shows! Every Season of Seinfeld, Taxi, Married w/Children, Las Vegas, The Big Bang, both Battlestar series, Old & New etc. etc, etc... GEEZ!!! Maybe I could've checked All the File Folders at once and just let it run but I did it I guess the Hard way, each folder one by one to see if all the Video files were recovered. Everything was Saved! So I Formatted the old Seagate and it shows as good now and all empty but don't know if I can trust it anymore. I'll grab a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup all my movies & TV shows on them just in case. WHEW!!!

Edited by Bartman

Good info......

Family pics are the only thing I would worry about and have them backed up on a separate external.....

Glad you got it back, and thanks for posting this in case any of the rest of us are ever faced with a similar problem-- I have yet to have an external go bad, but its bound to happen someday.

Edited by Saticon3

On 1/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, Saticon3 said:

Glad you got it back, and thanks for posting this in case any of the rest of us are ever faced with a similar problem-- I have yet to have an external go bad, but its bound to happen someday.

Everything was recovered and transferred to another ext drive but the 1st one somehow lost its file structure. It just came up as my F: drive but all the folders didn't show and Windows told me I had to Format it for me to use it. The "Acronis - Revive" software found everything and I was able to copy it all again to another drive. An IT guy at work said it lost "something, something" when I told him about it but I don't remember specifically what he said. I asked him if it would be OK now that I reformatted it and if I could trust it again and he kinda shrugged his shoulders and said that was up to me. Gee Thanks! Think I'll just order a couple more 1TB externals and back everything up just in case.

Yeah, I think I would use it, because I hate discarding things that can still be used. but I would just use it for stuff I didn't mind losing

Think I'll use it for Backup on the Main PC upstairs. That's got an Old Iomega full size 1TB drive backup that has its own power supply. That thing's gotta be 10yrs old or more! Would free up some of the desk clutter. I never see anyone with those big old things anymore.

Edited by Bartman

How old was it Bart? Seagates are pretty reliable. I have a 500GB model that's 10 years old. 

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

How old was it Bart? Seagates are pretty reliable. I have a 500GB model that's 10 years old. 

Best guess it was abt 4yrs old. Was putting TV shows on the Seagate and the WD has the Movies. My WD Elements 1TB drive is at least 5yrs old and not a hiccup out of it. The Micca Speck is sitting on the front of the 50" TV stand. I had the Movie drive on the left side of the stand & the TV drive on the right so I could just switch between them anytime. Both drives look different and that way I figured I wouldn't mix them up. Gonna get a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup everything. Have to anyway since the 2 WDs I have now are both almost Full! Glad I had the One Spare I could use and Luckily I recovered everything off the Seagate. The Specs say the Micca can handle up to a 2TB drive, But 1TB is a Buttload of Folders with movies & TV shows as it is and a 2TB drive would just be Ridiculous! I'm sure you've spent time scrolling down the screen on the TV!

Edited by Bartman

On 1/19/2018 at 7:44 PM, Bartman said:

Best guess it was abt 4yrs old. Was putting TV shows on the Seagate and the WD has the Movies. My WD Elements 1TB drive is at least 5yrs old and not a hiccup out of it. The Micca Speck is sitting on the front of the 50" TV stand. I had the Movie drive on the left side of the stand & the TV drive on the right so I could just switch between them anytime. Both drives look different and that way I figured I wouldn't mix them up. Gonna get a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup everything. Have to anyway since the 2 WDs I have now are both almost Full! Glad I had the One Spare I could use and Luckily I recovered everything off the Seagate. The Specs say the Micca can handle up to a 2TB drive, But 1TB is a Buttload of Folders with movies & TV shows as it is and a 2TB drive would just be Ridiculous! I'm sure you've spent time scrolling down the screen on the TV!

Hey this is off topic. I discovered a series from 1973 called The World At War. It’s a 26 episode series of the complete history of WW2. It follows each major players involvement starting in the 30s before the invasion of Poland. It’s the best documentary series I’ve ever watched. I’m sure you can find it on your Usenet site if you’re interested. 

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey this is off topic. I discovered a series from 1973 called The World At War. It’s a 26 episode series of the complete history of WW2. It follows each major players involvement starting in the 30s before the invasion of Poland. It’s the best documentary series I’ve ever watched. I’m sure you can find it on your Usenet site if you’re interested. 

Yeah I remember when it used to air on the History Channel. I'm sure I've seen them all several times. I think the AHC (Heroes) channel has been running them at some times. It's Old and not really "Out There" much anymore. Maybe you'll see someone post them again once in a while. Coulda grabbed them some years ago but I passed on them. Getting tougher to find stuff all the time. Posters Encode the filenames so you can't tell what it is but I can pull up Thumbnails and see what it is. Problem is now Usenet is Flooded with almost Every TV show on the Planet! The Movies are scattered in with all the TV shows so it's really hard to find stuff now. AND there's a God Awful load of Anime floating around out there too now! Sheesh! Not all that much coming out I really want to see anymore. Didn't care for the Blade Runner remake, way too long and to me it just Dragged and Ford didn't help it all that much in the end. Last ones I grabbed were Dunkirk, Churchill and Darkest Hour. Dunkirk was pretty good but Brit movies are kinda slow paced so you just live with it. Churchill wasn't bad but Darkest Hour was a bit better. Just wonder why the filmmakers decided to launch all 3 of those movies of the same Era pretty much all together.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:34 AM, bmore_ken said:

I own those DVDs ......

They have them at my library .....

They also now have ww2 in color on Netflix....

Not the biggest fan of colorizing b&w footage but the gave some rare footage in this 13 part series ......

They have a good Auschwitz documentary series on Netflix as well, it's 5 or 6 hrs ......

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, bmore_ken said:

Just searching in alt.binaries.documentaries I found a 4 part series on Battleships, a particular fetish for me if you will, from the earliest Ironclads to their retirement. Then a 2 parter on the Battle of Jutland in WWI that which has always held my interest.

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Just searching in alt.binaries.documentaries I found a 4 part series on Battleships, a particular fetish for me if you will, from the earliest Ironclads to their retirement. Then a 2 parter on the Battle of Jutland in WWI that which has always held my interest.

I'm going to look those up. 

4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I own those DVDs ......

They have them at my library .....

They also now have ww2 in color on Netflix....

Not the biggest fan of colorizing b&w footage but the gave some rare footage in this 13 part series ......

They have a good Auschwitz documentary series on Netflix as well, it's 5 or 6 hrs ......

I've watched ww2 In color. That was a great series. I'll check out that Auschwitz series. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I've watched ww2 In color. That was a great series. I'll check out that Auschwitz series. 

You watch that series and you know how disgusting it is when folks throw the nazi accusation around every time folks disagree with someone (I know you have called folks out along with me) ......

https://www.netflix.com/title/70213112

45 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

You watch that series and you know how disgusting it is when folks throw the nazi accusation around every time folks disagree with someone (I know you have called folks out along with me) ......

https://www.netflix.com/title/70213112

I know what you mean. I'm a documentary freak , so I've seen several on Auschwitz. Nazis were seriously evil people. There's no comparison to anyone today.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:14 PM, Bartman said:

My Seagate 1TB drive packed it up on me. I have 2 other 1TB WD's and they're still doing fine. This particular one had most of my TV shows on it as opposed to others with Movies. So I went online looking for Free Recovery software. Found a couple but neither one could help, One could see all the Video files but said they were Unrecoverable. So I decided I had to Bite the Bullet and look for some Pay software. I shelled out $50 online for Acronis Revive. Long story short, this one Worked! I hooked up a spare WD 1TB drive on one USB slot and the Bad Seagate on another. It scanned the Seagate and listed all the File Folders for each show. All I had to do was check each folder one at a time and denote the WD drive as the Target drive. This software recovered every video file but it took me Hours over 3 days to do each file folder one by one. FYI, 1 TB is a Buttload of TV shows! Every Season of Seinfeld, Taxi, Married w/Children, Las Vegas, The Big Bang, both Battlestar series, Old & New etc. etc, etc... GEEZ!!! Maybe I could've checked All the File Folders at once and just let it run but I did it I guess the Hard way, each folder one by one to see if all the Video files were recovered. Everything was Saved! So I Formatted the old Seagate and it shows as good now and all empty but don't know if I can trust it anymore. I'll grab a couple more WD 1TB drives and backup all my movies & TV shows on them just in case. WHEW!!!

My wife had lost some work files on an old external that quit. I kept the drive but was unable to recover anything. I might just try this if she still wants her files.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:27 PM, bmore_ken said:

I know what you mean. I'm a documentary freak , so I've seen several on Auschwitz. Nazis were seriously evil people. There's no comparison to anyone today.

I don't agree with this completely. No one thought the Nazis were as bad as they were and it wasn't until after the war when they really found out how bad they were. They just became progressively evil and it didn't happen overnight. Also, they needed the help of passive people and people who were willing to overlook things.

But when people called Clinton, Bush and Obama Nazis it was just laughable. The verdict is still out on Trump though. IMO he is capable of doing very dangerous things if unchecked.

BTW - I had a history minor in college and had a whole course on WWI and WWII as well as other courses that skimmed wars. It's amazing how dictators can gain power simply by promising things to an angry/depressed and using a group of people as the scapegoats.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

I don't agree with this completely. No one thought the Nazis were as bad as they were and it wasn't until after the war when they really found out how bad they were. They just became progressively evil and it didn't happen overnight. Also, they needed the help of passive people and people who were willing to overlook things.

But when people called Clinton, Bush and Obama Nazis it was just laughable. The verdict is still out on Trump though. IMO he is capable of doing very dangerous things if unchecked.

BTW - I had a history minor in college and had a whole course on WWI and WWII as well as other courses that skimmed wars. It's amazing how dictators can gain power simply by promising things to an angry/depressed and using a group of people as the scapegoats.

Actually many people pegged the nazis from the start. Jews were being systematically persecuted in Germany long before 1939. Many jews who made it out gave warnings and were ignored. It took British and German jews to convince the British to start the kindertransport system after kristallnacht. Lots of newspapers at the time reported about things going on there. If you want to debate that the world knew nazis would kill 6 million jews , you got me there, but there were plenty of warning signs that nazis were evil nasty people. The governments of the world ignored all the signs out of political expediency.  I'll walk this back when Trump starts eliminating minorities from American life or detaining legal citizens because of their heritage. Nothing today compares to what Hitler and the nazis did  even before the war. 

Edited by bmore_ken

5 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

It's amazing how dictators can gain power simply by promising things to an angry/depressed and using a group of people as the scapegoats.

Read the book -

Propaganda:The Formation Of Men's Attitudes by Jacques Ellul

Very frequently propaganda is described as a manipulation for the purpose of changing idea or opinions of making individuals 'believe' some idea or fact, and finally of making them adhere to some doctrine—all matters of the mind. It tries to convince, to bring about a decision, to create a firm adherence to some truth. This is a completely wrong line of thinking: to view propaganda as still being what it was in 1850 is to cling to an obsolete concept of man and of the means to influence him; it is to condemn oneself to understand nothing about propaganda. The aim of modern propaganda is no longer to modify ideas, but to provoke action. It is no longer to change adherence to a doctrine, but to make the individual cling irrationally to a process of action. It is no longer to transform an opinion but to arouse an active and mythical belief.

In this book Ellul but argued that modern propaganda was intended to spark action towards a desired response by developing learned attitudes, and that it drew from scientific analyses of psychology and sociology. Ellul took the view that prior attempts to define propaganda generally left out the sociological side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda:_The_Formation_of_Men's_Attitudes

On 1/5/2018 at 11:14 PM, Bartman said:

Absolutely Useful Information For Me.

I had a WD that I could not access data on.

I used this software,  I forget the name of, Spotmau....something. that spent 13 hours reading the data after I finally bought another 1T external....but it didn't work. But it Did let me see that I could live without most of the 700+Gigs of stuff I had most of was repeats of stuff on external 1T...#2.

I reformatted the 'broken' drive and now use it strictly for movies.

I will remember the method you mentioned above should I have a similar problem in the future. 

For years I wondered why when I  put photo files of pictures on my 32 or 64g jump drive sometimes they would not show through my LG DVD players USB port. I could load thousands as long as they were not in a folder. Some folders would work, some would not.

Solution...I believe....had to do with using Fat 32...exFat. Ex fat is for storing data (folders) 4G or larger. Fat 32 cannot do that and play that large a file through a USB DVD and the DVD cannot play exFat at all.

Being a belt and suspenders type of person. I ALWAYS burn a DVD of the important stuff. Short of a fire the images are impossible to destroy. Of course I have backup to OneDrive and USB for more recent pics I want to carry with me and share. And that maynot be necessary soon as I figure out how to get Android/LG/MS/OneDrive to exchange information. 

Found out one nasty thing with MS and the 'cloud' be it office etc. ….. it is NOT as snap as they imply. Especially emails....yup they sync just fine provided your provider is MS Exchange literate....with AOL/Verizon is NOT. 

I was very disappointed after I found that out. Nice if they told you that before you sign up for Office 365. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Being a belt and suspenders type of person. I ALWAYS burn a DVD of the important stuff. Short of a fire the images are impossible to destroy. Of course I have backup to OneDrive and USB for more recent pics I want to carry with me and share. And that maynot be necessary soon as I figure out how to get Android/LG/MS/OneDrive to exchange information. 

Found out one nasty thing with MS and the 'cloud' be it office etc. ….. it is NOT as snap as they imply. Especially emails....yup they sync just fine provided your provider is MS Exchange literate....with AOL/Verizon is NOT. 

I was very disappointed after I found that out. Nice if they told you that before you sign up for Office 365. 

I have 4 1TB external drives now, 2 Western Digitals that I like the most, 1 is full of Movies with folders for each Topic, Action, Comedy, Clint, Arnold, Stallone, War in Land, Sea, and Air folders, Sci-Fi, Western .etc and the other is mostly TV Series folders. The one Seagate that crashed and I reformatted seems to be doing OK now has some Miscellaneous Overflow on it that I have to categorize. The 2 WD's are Full and I can't put anything else on them. I can see I'm going to have to shuffle some stuff around to a 3rd drive. There's 1 Toshiba that I haven't used yet but got it 'cause a friend raves about his so I thought I'd grab one and try it out. Maybe I'll start using that one now too. And 1 older 500Gig WD Passport I have on the Main PC with other Misc. Folders on it. I don't trust the Cloud, what if the servers there go down? Plus I don't have a Super speed Internet, just 10Mb so I have no intention of putting any of my stuff "Out There". The only DVDs I burn are Movies for my gal (God she wants Every Movie that comes out!) and a couple friends. I can burn Blu-Ray on the PC but Why? If DVD isn't good enough Resolution for them, screw it! I don't use them myself anymore and got rid of most of what I had. I play all my stuff off the drives on the TV through my Micca Speck. It's a handy little box no bigger than a pack of smokes and plays every Video format I've thrown at it right off the ext HDs and Thumbs too if you stick movies & TV shows on them. It's like $40 on Amazon and you can find them on Ebay too. Been using that on my Big TV for Years now and have a spare still in the box. I told Ken about it some time ago and I think he said he bought 2 of them.

Edited by Bartman

10 hours ago, Bartman said:

I have 4 1TB external drives now, 2 Western Digitals that I like the most, 1 is full of Movies with folders for each Topic, Action, Comedy, Clint, Arnold, Stallone, War in Land, Sea, and Air folders, Sci-Fi, Western .etc and the other is mostly TV Series folders. The one Seagate that crashed and I reformatted seems to be doing OK now has some Miscellaneous Overflow on it that I have to categorize. The 2 WD's are Full and I can't put anything else on them. I can see I'm going to have to shuffle some stuff around to a 3rd drive. There's 1 Toshiba that I haven't used yet but got it 'cause a friend raves about his so I thought I'd grab one and try it out. Maybe I'll start using that one now too. And 1 older 500Gig WD Passport I have on the Main PC with other Misc. Folders on it. I don't trust the Cloud, what if the servers there go down? Plus I don't have a Super speed Internet, just 10Mb so I have no intention of putting any of my stuff "Out There". The only DVDs I burn are Movies for my gal (God she wants Every Movie that comes out!) and a couple friends. I can burn Blu-Ray on the PC but Why? If DVD isn't good enough Resolution for them, screw it! I don't use them myself anymore and got rid of most of what I had. I play all my stuff off the drives on the TV through my Micca Speck. It's a handy little box no bigger than a pack of smokes and plays every Video format I've thrown at it right off the ext HDs and Thumbs too if you stick movies & TV shows on them. It's like $40 on Amazon and you can find them on Ebay too. Been using that on my Big TV for Years now and have a spare still in the box. I told Ken about it some time ago and I think he said he bought 2 of them.

Thanks for all that info....I"ll have to check that Micca Speck.