EgyptKang

White Men’s Hostility to Black Women

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2011/04/16/white-mens-hostility-to-black-women-a-deeper-look/

one respondent stated the following, when sharing his thoughts about black women:

Just the term ‘black women’ conjures up thoughts of an overweight, dark-skinned, loud, poorly educated person with gold teeth yelling at somebody in public. I hope that doesn’t make me racist but honestly that’s the 1st thing I think of (white male respondent)

This respondent is middle-class with no black female friends, rare interactions with black families growing up, and who states his interactions with black women only consist of work-related experiences, yet, he expresses strong racialized, gendered, and classed views of black women as the first impressions that come to his mind.

The very definition of racism and he States that : "he hopes that doesn't make him racist". It is as if whites want to wish away racism while being racists which also fits the definition of a narcissist.

Edited by EgyptKang

8 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

http://www.racismreview.com/blog/2011/04/16/white-mens-hostility-to-black-women-a-deeper-look/

The very definition of racism and he States that : "he hopes that doesn't make him racist". It is as if whites want to wish away racism while being racists which also fits the definition of a narcissist.

Sounds more like the very definition of ignorance and lack of experience in the world.

How are you not a racist when you insult white men as a group because of the rantings of this one individual?

Posted (edited)

seeing all issues through the lens of skin color must be a horrible burden for you to bear.   You have my sympathy.

Edited by Boobie

I think I'm in love!

Posted (edited)

Send Halle Berry to my house and I will show you hostile.  I would be on her like white on rice.  Unless that would be a micro aggression.  In which case I would be on her like Bill Clinton on Jennifer Flowers, but I'm not a lip biter myself.  

Edited by jdsample

33 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Nobody treats the sisters worse than their brothers.

Truer words are rarely spoken or written for public consumption.I can list dozens of examples to support that.

In fact, nobody treats or has ever treated black people worse than they already saw black people treating each other. Ever!

As far as white men being "hostile" towards black women I have on many many occasions seen the exact opposite, that is black women being hostile to white men. When is the last time a white man killed a black woman? Now when is the last time a black woman killed a white man or was involved with the death of a white man...here in Baltimore??? Less than a month ago?

And this description.... Just the term ‘black women’ conjures up thoughts of an overweight, dark-skinned, loud, poorly educated person with gold teeth yelling at somebody in public. I hope that doesn’t make me racist but honestly that’s the 1st thing I think of (white male respondent).  

Does not come from whole cloth or racism, it is from many people's experience with black women and the image black portray in the media, including the news, an image usually promoted by black women themselves. I have seen the black women described above. We all have.

Of course, it is not all black women.

So glad I am color blind.

2 minutes ago, com6063 said:

So glad I am color blind.

LOL.  Reminds me of the movie, Can You See what I Hear about a blind guy.  He has this drop dead gorgeous black girl friend.  And they are talking in bed and she mentions something about being black. And he says (paraphrase) Oh my God!  You are black!?  Don't tell me I am color blind too!

3 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Send Halle Berry to my house and I will show you hostile.  I would be on her like white on rice.  Unless that would be a micro aggression.  In which case I would be on her like Bill Clinton on Jennifer Flowers, but I'm not a lip biter myself.  

Halle Berry is a mixed white woman who found it advantageous to further her Hollywood career by portraying the beautiful black woman in movies. If she were to take more race-neutral roles, she'd be yet another pretty white woman among dozens and dozens of pretty white female actors. By portraying herself as "black" she stands out as one among fifty black women and pulls from both sides of the aisle, both black and white. She will always get the jobs over the black women with lesser white features than she has. Halle Berry is not a black woman nor a white woman, she is mixed and she is not desired and called beautiful because of any black or 'negro' features she has, but rather because of her white features.

Look for yourself.

In Hollywood, going all the way back to Lena Horne, men of both races have always admired and desired mixed race white/black women and black women with white features.

12 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

Halle Berry is a mixed white woman who found it advantageous to further her Hollywood career by portraying the beautiful black woman in movies. If she were to take more race-neutral roles, she'd be yet another pretty white woman among dozens and dozens of pretty white female actors. By portraying herself as "black" she stands out as one among fifty black women and pulls from both sides of the aisle, both black and white. She will always get the jobs over the black women with lesser white features than she has. Halle Berry is not a black woman nor a white woman, she is mixed and she is not desired and called beautiful because of any black or 'negro' features she has, but rather because of her white features.

Look for yourself.

In Hollywood, going all the way back to Lena Horne, men of both races have always admired and desired mixed race white/black women and black women with white features.

Mixed Race people tend to have the most attractive features 

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I've noticed that.

The thing about Berry is that she is actually just as pretty when she's not all made up and photoshopped. I met her on a beach outside of The Atlantis. Just a gorgeous woman.

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

The thing about Berry is that she is actually just as pretty when she's not all made up and photoshopped. I met her on a beach outside of The Atlantis. Just a gorgeous woman.

I remember a bad Eddie Murphy film in which Robin Givens was supposed to be the pretty leading lady and Halle Berry was supposed to be her plain sidekick. You can try to cast her as plain but it just doesn't work. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Certainly in Hollywood mixed race women are striking.  I'm not sure that is the case universally.  Hollywood is not exactly a representative sample anymore than the Victoria Secrets runway.  

Edited by jdsample

8 minutes ago, Rael said:

I remember a bad Eddie Murphy film in which Robin Givens was supposed to be the pretty leading lady and Halle Berry was supposed to be her plain sidekick. You can try to cast her as plain but it just doesn't work. 

Yup.  But the most miscast role ever IMHO was Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.  I mean he has played the good guy for 50 years and now casts himself as a racist who reforms?  His racial slurs don't horrify you.  They sound like jokes.  I laughed at some of them, because we all know Clint is a good guy.  It was Archie Bunker stuff.  A slur with an underlying heart of gold.  They needed an unknown guy you could hate at the beginning of the movie because he was a racist SOB, and then his transformation would make sense.  

3 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

Nobody treats the sisters worse than their brothers.

And white men beat and murder their families. That's not the point of the article.

20 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

And white men beat and murder their families. That's not the point of the article.

So do black men.

2 hours ago, prodigalson1 said:

Look for yourself.

So because she is not black enough for you, you're going to minimize who she is as a person? 

2 hours ago, Rael said:

Boomerang wasn’t Eddie’s best but it’s a solid romantic comedy. Definitely among his better movies

39 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Sulu...yes captain....shields on maximum....yes captain.

Captain Kirk....deflection is on full maximum.......:lol:

Thank you Sulu.....now lets see what is really out there.

1 hour ago, AugusteDupin said:

So because she is not black enough for you, you're going to minimize who she is as a person? 

Wow, I don't see how you read any such thing into what I said. Halle Berry is not black she is mixed. How can she be "not black enough"??? And what did I say that 'minimalized' her as a person. I have no power whatsoever to do that. 

I apologize if what I said offended you, but I stand by every word.

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Boomerang wasn’t Eddie’s best but it’s a solid romantic comedy. Definitely among his better movies

I agree. He’s also done some God awful movies too.