Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

126 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/world/europe/uk-national-health-service.html

Quote

 

LONDON — At some emergency wards, patients wait more than 12 hours before they are tended to. Corridors are jammed with beds carrying frail and elderly patients waiting to be admitted to hospital wards. Outpatient appointments were canceled to free up staff members, and by Wednesday morning hospitals had been ordered to postpone nonurgent surgeries until the end of the month.

…The situation has become so dire that the head of the health service is warning that the system is overwhelmed.

Some doctors took to Twitter to vent their frustrations publicly. One complained of having to practice “battlefield medicine,” while another apologized for the “3rd world conditions” caused by overcrowding.

…More than nine million people at emergency wards in the 2016-17 fiscal year were sent home after receiving only guidance that in many cases could have been obtained from a pharmacist, the health service said in a statement on Tuesday.Mary’s Hospital on Wednesday. “This is a disgrace. We injure ourselves while working to pay our taxes, and the government just leaves us to suffer.”

Yeah, we need this system over here, don't we? 

Edited by Ode2Joy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The caues of this: budget cuts.

What's Congress want to focus on this month: budget cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/world/europe/uk-national-health-service.html

Yeah, we need this system over here, don't we? 

How true:

Quote

A man goes to the doctor and says: 'Doctor, there's a piece of lettuce sticking out of my bottom.' The doctor asks him to drop his trousers and examines him.

 

The man asks: 'Is it serious, doctor?' and the doctor replies: 'I'm sorry to tell you, but this is just the tip of the iceberg.'

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hst2 said:

The caues of this: budget cuts.

What's Congress want to focus on this month: budget cuts.

They cut budgets in GB ..???

Thought that only happened here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hst2 said:

The caues of this: budget cuts.

What's Congress want to focus on this month: budget cuts.

The causes?  Undoubtedly, it's global warming which is killing off all the geese that lay those golden eggs and all those money trees.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, workerbee said:

NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese 

"The NHS will ban patients from surgery indefinitely unless they lose weight or quit smoking, under controversial plans drawn up in Hertfordshire."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/17/nhs-provokes-fury-indefinite-surgery-ban-smokers-obese/

 

The Telegraph's story header is deliberately misleading. In the actual article it more accurately states the it is Non urgent surgery ban that is being considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, workerbee said:

NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese 

"The NHS will ban patients from surgery indefinitely unless they lose weight or quit smoking, under controversial plans drawn up in Hertfordshire."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/17/nhs-provokes-fury-indefinite-surgery-ban-smokers-obese/

 

Well, there are risks in surgery for the obese, and smokers, well folks knowingly except the risks .....

There has to be consequences to choices ......

But of course everyone knew that supply and demand would eventually lead to rationing in government health care plans for thay promised cheap, affordable care for all .....

Resources are limited after all ..... .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The restrictions mean those with a Body Mass Index of 30 or more will be set targets to reduce their weight by 10 per cent over nine months, with those with a BMI over 40 will be told to cut their weight by 15 per cent.   At the end of the nine months, any patient who failed to lose enough weight will have their circumstances “considered by a clinical panel” a spokeswoman said."

A Rose By Any Other Name... !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only two organizations that employ more people than British NHS are the Chinese Army and the Indian railroad service.  You would think they could get their act together.  

Anecdote alert:  A friend of mine living there has a daughter who was about to give birth in London.  She spewed (to use the UK term for barfing) on her pillow and requested a new one.  Sorry, but each patient is allocated one clean pillow per day.  Lucky you didn't give birth yesterday.  Beds were full so they locked the doors and a women gave birth on the sidewalk out front.  

Budget cuts my ***.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Surgery is very dangerous for the obese, and difficult for the surgeon doing the work. I have heard it described as "working at the bottom of a greasy mineshaft by touch". Smoking is likewise a risk. For non-urgent (non-lifesaving) surgeries, the patient should be trying to avoid. I had a colleague over here who must have weighed 400. When a disc in his back failed, confining him to bed, the surgeon would not operate at all unless he lost at least 100 pounds.

I have heard stories about long waits for non-urgent care in the UK and in Canada, which also has single-payer.

Edited by Evil Yoda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

The Telegraph's story header is deliberately misleading. In the actual article it more accurately states the it is Non urgent surgery ban that is being considered.

Ode2joy caught lying again. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jdsample said:

The only two organizations that employ more people than British NHS are the Chinese Army and the Indian railroad service.  You would think they could get their act together.

Wealthy folks and politicians will always have what they want and need, the former because of their wealth and the latter because they make the rules. They are the only two groups who have any chance of changing broken systems, and they are not motivated to do so. It is also why the VA was a disaster over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Wealthy folks and politicians will always have what they want and need, the former because of their wealth and the latter because they make the rules. They are the only two groups who have any chance of changing broken systems, and they are not motivated to do so. It is also why the VA was a disaster over here.

I can't disagree too much, but a little more pessimistic than me.  We can't throw out the wealthy but the politicians we can.  Just a little ironic that we threw out the politician and replaced him with the wealthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Is it the system or is it the FACT that people need help?

What you are essentially saying is that some people should be left to die.

What you are essentially demonstrating is that your reading comprehension is lacking if you think that's what I said or that we need to better emulate the British system.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

What you are essentially demonstrating is that your reading comprehension is lacking if you think that's what I said or that we need to better emulate the British system.  

 

 

My reading comprehension is perfect when it comes to trump supporters like you. Your attempt at sugarcoating your meaning is big FAIL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

My reading comprehension is perfect when it comes to trump supporters like you. Your attempt at sugarcoating your meaning is big FAIL.

Sugar is bad for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Calamari said:

Ode2joy caught lying again. B)

To be fair to Ode2Joy it was the Telegraph that lied (by ommission), Ode2Joy just picked it up and ran with it because it suited his agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

To be fair to Ode2Joy it was the Telegraph that lied (by ommission), Ode2Joy just picked it up and ran with it because it suited his agenda.

More like Calamari lied and you're swearing to it.  The story was picked up by the New York Times.  The NHS situation seems to be worsening.  This is from a year ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/11/nhs-crisis-20-hospitals-declare-black-alert-as-patient-safety-no-longer-assured

Feel free to tell me that Black Alerts haven't been issued at present for a number of hospitals now. 

There are a pretty fair amount of recent pieces within the last few days alone that verify the story. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

To be fair to Ode2Joy it was the Telegraph that lied (by ommission), Ode2Joy just picked it up and ran with it because it suited his agenda.

Still quite shameful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

More like Calamari lied and you're swearing to it.  The story was picked up by the New York Times.  The NHS situation seems to be worsening.  This is from a year ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/11/nhs-crisis-20-hospitals-declare-black-alert-as-patient-safety-no-longer-assured

Feel free to tell me that Black Alerts haven't been issued at present for a number of hospitals now. 

There are a pretty fair amount of recent pieces within the last few days alone that verify the story. 

 

Doncha know, everything in the world is great except in the USA and Israel. ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a bonus article I wasn't even looking for about the health situation in Britain:

Dental crisis leaves Britain reliant on charity from the developing world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/02/dental-crisis-leaves-britain-reliant-charity-developing-world/
 

Quote

 

Britain is being forced to turn to charities from the developing world amid a crisis in dentistry,  dentists claim today.

In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, dentists said they were being swamped by red tape and targets, without time or resources to prevent tooth disease, with poor so care that charities from abroad were stepping in to provide aid.

...“Not only does rotten teeth remain the number one medical reason for any young child being admitted to hospital, but third world-based dental charities are expanding here from previous years and large American charities are looking to come to the UK as our inadequate dental systems are now an international disgrace,” the letter states.

Dr Tony Kilcoyne, a dentist from Haworth, West Yorks, who co-ordinated the signatures from more than 400 dentists, said urgent action was needed to improve access to dentistry, and prioritise prevention of decay.

“It is a terrible situation when you have got charities looking at Britain and seeing there is a desperate need to provide basic care,” he said.

 

God bless those dentists from the U.S. and third world dental charities who are going to Britain to help with the dental crisis they have over there. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

More like Calamari lied and you're swearing to it.  The story was picked up by the New York Times.  The NHS situation seems to be worsening.  This is from a year ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/11/nhs-crisis-20-hospitals-declare-black-alert-as-patient-safety-no-longer-assured

Feel free to tell me that Black Alerts haven't been issued at present for a number of hospitals now. 

There are a pretty fair amount of recent pieces within the last few days alone that verify the story. 

 

You have me at a disadvantage, I haven't got a clue what a "black alert" is.

I am only alive and kicking today because of the NHS. My condition has been teated for the last 12 years and is ongoing,. I have absolutely no complaints about the NHS, my treatment and drugs cost me absolutely zero today. Of course, I made my contributions to the National Insurance since i was 16 and never begrudged paying toward others health care then, now younger people pay for mine.  It's a concept the Americans, or the rightie ones anyway, just cannot grasp.

You carry on with your crazy agenda, I am, and will continue, living with the reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0