Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

126 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Still quite shameful.

Indeed, as can be evidenced by his continuing rant. I see that 'they' have got around to teeth now, unlike him, probably, I still don't have to take mine out at night. ;) :lol:

Last time I looked, Brits were still outliving Americans, funny that, eh?

The ignorant anti-Brit healthcare bigots might actually have a point if we didn't have private healthcare in this country too, and a lot more affordable than the US version. At the end of the day, just how much can you charge for an Aspirin? And you think that we're the suckers. 😂

There are hospitals with very long waits over here - they tend to be those that serve the poorest neighborhoods, which should surprise no one. It takes a long time to get a routine doctor's appointment (about four months for mine, unless you pay his high concierge fee) for a physical. Less, but far from zero, for complaint care. There's a lot wrong with medicine here. The ACA tried to address some of it, and Trump is working his butt off to dismantle that law. He and his wealthy friends will always be okay, though.

23 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/world/europe/uk-national-health-service.html

Yeah, we need this system over here, don't we? 

Just the predictable results of austerity measures imposed by conservatives and championed by many on this board.

Of course, here in America, the GOP seems hell bent on kicking as many people off health care as possible while simultaneously cutting Medicare. i guess the thinking is that if people can't afford health care there won't be any lines.

15 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

The ignorant anti-Brit healthcare bigots might actually have a point if we didn't have private healthcare in this country too, and a lot more affordable than the US version. At the end of the day, just how much can you charge for an Aspirin? And you think that we're the suckers. 😂

Do you have urgent care centers?  There are popping up all over here as an alternative to emergency rooms for many urgent cases and can get a patient in and out in about 1½ hours as opposed to multiple hours in an emergency room, and at a much lower cost.  

24 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Do you have urgent care centers?  There are popping up all over here as an alternative to emergency rooms for many urgent cases and can get a patient in and out in about 1½ hours as opposed to multiple hours in an emergency room, and at a much lower cost.  

Yes we do, you can contact them for advice and if they think you should be seen they will take you in immediately. They can be contacted by dialing 111 or you can just visit them of the cuff. Clearly the sources being quoted on this thread choose not to mention them. there is zero cost at the point of treatment, as in all NHS treatments, other than Dental.

However, it must be said that there is a bit of a crisis in the NHS, particularly in the A&E (Accident and Emergency) departments and in short, the government needs to throw more money at it. However, it is not as bad or life threatening as Ode2Joy and the other usual suspects wish it would be. 

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Doncha know, everything in the world is great except in the USA and Israel. ......

Another swing and miss by Eastside Terp.

I hope you don't intend to start charging me rent for living in your head.

Edited by WKDWZD

27 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Yes we do, you can contact them for advice and if they think you should be seen they will take you in immediately. They can be contacted by dialing 111 or you can just visit them of the cuff. Clearly the sources being quoted on this thread choose not to mention them. there is zero cost at the point of treatment, as in all NHS treatments, other than Dental.

However, it must be said that there is a bit of a crisis in the NHS, particularly in the A&E (Accident and Emergency) departments and in short, the government needs to throw more money at it. However, it is not as bad or life threatening as Ode2Joy and the other usual suspects wish it would be. 

The shark has been jumped on the UK!  Sad.

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

Oh, look!  The BBC must be full of anti-Brit bigots too because according to you, things aren't that bad and you've never even heard of "black alert".  This is from BBC News (UK) Twitter:

6 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Oh, look!  The BBC must be full of anti-Brit bigots too because according to you, things aren't that bad and you've never even heard of "black alert".  This is from BBC News (UK) Twitter:

Quit making the BBC lie .....

Let the poor folks focus on their royal wedding.....

It's about the only thing they have anymore that they are any good at ......

2 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

You have me at a disadvantage, I haven't got a clue what a "black alert" is.

I am only alive and kicking today because of the NHS. My condition has been teated for the last 12 years and is ongoing,. I have absolutely no complaints about the NHS, my treatment and drugs cost me absolutely zero today. Of course, I made my contributions to the National Insurance since i was 16 and never begrudged paying toward others health care then, now younger people pay for mine.  It's a concept the Americans, or the rightie ones anyway, just cannot grasp.

You carry on with your crazy agenda, I am, and will continue, living with the reality.

Arrogance!

Your reality is not everyone else's reality.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

...the GOP seems hell bent on kicking as many people off health care as possible...

That's how the "pliers model" works, and most businessmen and GOP politicians subscribe to it. When a pair of pliers breaks, you toss them out and get another pair. To the GOP and their supporters in the corporate and 1% world, that's how you handle broken people, too.

12 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Last time I looked, Brits were still outliving Americans, funny that, eh?

Do you suppose that is because your cancer cases are better treated or that the streets are less filled with the blood of gang bangers?  

10 hours ago, VOSA said:

Arrogance!

Your reality is not everyone else's reality.

Ignorance!

Your reality is only that which is force fed to you.

12 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

There are hospitals with very long waits over here - they tend to be those that serve the poorest neighborhoods, which should surprise no one. It takes a long time to get a routine doctor's appointment (about four months for mine, unless you pay his high concierge fee) for a physical. Less, but far from zero, for complaint care. There's a lot wrong with medicine here. The ACA tried to address some of it, and Trump is working his butt off to dismantle that law. He and his wealthy friends will always be okay, though.

Congress did exempt themselves from the horrors of Obamacare.  So you are right.  The rich can still cut in line.  

30 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Do you suppose that is because your cancer cases are better treated or that the streets are less filled with the blood of gang bangers?  

I suspect that my extra 1.5 years is down to not just to better treatment of cancer cases but all health conditions that our doctors deal with. Our doctors are every bit as good as yours.

Here is a BBC Link, as your pals seem facinated by BBC articles that support their agenda. It lists many probable reasons why the US is still falling behind the rest ofthe world in life expectancy, however, streets "filled with the blood of gang bangers" isn't one of them.

45 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

I suspect that my extra 1.5 years is down to not just to better treatment of cancer cases but all health conditions that our doctors deal with. Our doctors are every bit as good as yours.

Here is a BBC Link, as your pals seem facinated by BBC articles that support their agenda. It lists many probable reasons why the US is still falling behind the rest ofthe world in life expectancy, however, streets "filled with the blood of gang bangers" isn't one of them.

We're witnessing a very typical right wing tactic...Years of budget cuts in the name of austerity and then, when the program is straining because of inadequate funding, claim that there's something inherently wrong with the system itself.

We've certainly saw that here with GOP attempts to sabotage the ACA.

3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

So in the UK when you take a whole bunch of 75's and 80's, the average is not driven down when you throw a bunch of 15's and 20's?  I suspect the difference of a mere 1.5 years might be effected by murder rates, and 30-40k traffic deaths per year in the US, along with migrants carrying their own diseases that go untreated until they show up at the Emergency Room.  

3 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

We're witnessing a very typical right wing tactic...Years of budget cuts in the name of austerity and then, when the program is straining because of inadequate funding, claim that there's something inherently wrong with the system itself.

We've certainly saw that here with GOP attempts to sabotage the ACA.

You were told what was wrong with Obamacare the moment Dems allowed anyone to read it.  It didn't take budget cuts for the Hindenburg of legislative genius to crash in flames.  

23 hours ago, Calamari said:

Ode2joy caught lying again. B)

what's misleading about it? Seems to me patients are being left to wait-- how is it misleading?

How do THE BRITISH finance their "free" healthcare?

2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

How do THE BRITISH finance their "free" healthcare?

NHI. Look it up.

No one ever said it was "free" but it is free at the point of access. Look that up too.