Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

126 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

what's misleading about it? Seems to me patients are being left to wait-- how is it misleading?

For Non Urgent Surgery, it is misleading by omission.

4 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

NHI. Look it up.

No one ever said it was "free" but it is free at the point of access. Look that up too.

Nah,I'm good .

Well relatively speaking.

I paid NOTHING for healthcare except co pays till O Care came along.

18 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

How do THE BRITISH finance their "free" healthcare?

You think Healthcare is expensive now wait until it's free......

Pretty sure "non-emergency" treatment for something like this isn't available at any Urgent Care-type walk-in treatment centers on either side of the pond:

BBC NEWS:  Baby's heart surgery cancelled five times by Leeds hospital

A baby born with a hole in her heart had to wait four months for a major operation to repair the defect, after the procedure was cancelled five times.

Leanne Smith, 20, said her daughter Evelyn Johnston-Smith was at risk of cardiac arrest as she waited for surgery at Leeds General Infirmary.

She said the wait had been "traumatic" but she did not blame the hospital.

A hospital spokesperson said the "difficult" decision to cancel the operation was "not taken lightly".

The procedure was scheduled for September 2017 and medics put a deadline of 17 November in place.

However, the operation was cancelled five times because of staff shortages, lack of beds and an emergency case.

It was eventually carried out on 22 December.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-42609042?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cp7r8vglnnwt/nhs&link_location=live-reporting-story

Does that happen a lot over here with our "inferior" hospitals and medical services?  :confused: 

I'm still not sure that the British model is one we should be pursuing, even with all the supposedly "substandard" hospitals we have here like Hopkins, etc.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Pretty sure "non-emergency" treatment for something like this isn't available at any Urgent Care-type walk-in treatment centers on either side of the pond:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-42609042?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cp7r8vglnnwt/nhs&link_location=live-reporting-story

Does that happen a lot over here with our "inferior" hospitals and medical services?  :confused: 

I'm still not sure that the British model is one we should be pursuing, even with all the supposedly "substandard" hospitals we have here like Hopkins, etc.

Dude, you keep your model and I'll keep mine, warts and all, and I'll still outlive you by 1.5 years. Owzat! :lol:

Although I'm a little surprised that you think your hospitals and doctors are inferior to ours, personally I wouldn't have thought there was much between them , but I guess you know yours best.

Edited by WKDWZD

9 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Dude, you keep your model and I'll keep mine, warts and all, and I'll still outlive you by 1.5 years. Owzat! :lol:

I'm returning home next year and the main reason for retiring there is the poor and expensive health care in the US.

1 minute ago, downunder said:

I'm returning home next year and the main reason for retiring there is the poor and expensive health care in the US.

And you won't have to worry about whether or not you may end up stopping a bullet either, good for you, have a great retirement.

Now, however, I have a beef with you ... following the latest test match results I am starting a petition for Britain to retake full control of Australia, throw all the men back into chains and put the women and children into workhouses. Relief will only be given when you uppity Ozzies learn and accept that England are to win the Ashes at every test. 😠

Rant over. 😉

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

For Non Urgent Surgery, it is misleading by omission.

It would be interesting to see how "non-urgent" might be defined. Is knee replacement surgery because walking is problematic "urgent" to the patient, but "non-urgent" to a system that may see "urgent" as something that is life threatening? Probably. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 248 pounds, meaning that my BMI is 34. I would be delayed from getting the knee replacement that I needed (and received) a little over a year ago. While I will be the first to admit that I should lose some weight, to get down to a BMI of 29 I would need to lose 38 pounds. Not an easy task at age almost 70 and arthritis in every joint that limits one's ability to exercise. Seems to me that handing over decisions about healthcare decisions to any government bureaucracy is fraught with complications and bad outcomes.

34 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

And you won't have to worry about whether or not you may end up stopping a bullet either, good for you, have a great retirement.

Now, however, I have a beef with you ... following the latest test match results I am starting a petition for Britain to retake full control of Australia, throw all the men back into chains and put the women and children into workhouses. Relief will only be given when you uppity Ozzies learn and accept that England are to win the Ashes at every test. 😠

Rant over. 😉

LOL, 33 - 32 Australia.  It couldn't be more even ;)

OK health care might not be my only issue here, watching cricket ain't easy either.  So that's another bonus for my Aussie retirement. :) 

41 minutes ago, Papi said:

It would be interesting to see how "non-urgent" might be defined.

For real. 

From the BBC:

A woman who died after taking diet pills did not get appropriate care because A&E was overcrowded, an inquest has heard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-42611608

Bethany Shipsey, 21, took an overdose of tablets containing the industrial substance DNP in February last year.

A junior doctor who saw her said it was "one of the busiest days" he had seen.

Dr Alireza Niroumand said Ms Shipsey was at the end of the corridor in the emergency department in Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

He said he could not transfer her to the resuscitation room because the department was full.

He added he should have consulted the poisons department when he saw Ms Shipsey at 18:30 to understand the drug he had "never seen before" and did not use a database called "Toxbase" for information, because the files he needed had been given to him by a nurse.

He told the inquest he should have referred the case to the intensive care team, but didn't.

Speaking about the number of people in A&E, a senior sister, Kirsty South said it was not uncommon.

Could have.  Should have.  But...didn't.

3 hours ago, mcorioles said:

Nah,I'm good .

Well relatively speaking.

I paid NOTHING for healthcare except co pays till O Care came along.

Someone paid for it. The taxpayer? Or your boss?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

For real. 

From the BBC:

A woman who died after taking diet pills did not get appropriate care because A&E was overcrowded, an inquest has heard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-42611608

Could have.  Should have.  But...didn't.

How many Americans have died through not having health insurance or access to doctors?

Still keep searching for anti-Brit healthcare failures, there must be loads for you.

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

24 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Someone paid for it. The taxpayer? Or your boss?

Maybe the tooth fairy? :lol:

4 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Maybe the tooth fairy? :lol:

Man, that has to be the worse job in England .....

13 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

:lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Ignorance!

Your reality is only that which is force fed to you.

By whom?

Posted (edited)

Wage earners in the UK pay upward of 45% of the income in taxes. Stand-by to pay the same here.

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates

Band Taxable income Tax rate
Personal Allowance     Up to £11,500    0%
Basic rate                       £11,501 to £45,000    20%
Higher rate £45,001 to £150,000       40%
Additional rate over £150,000 45%
Edited by Sprightly

41 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

:D  :D  It's a good thing that the :D emoticon wasn't created over there too!  :P 

4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

British citizens pay upward of 45% of the income in taxes. Stand-by to pay the same here.

When will people realize that things they think are free aren't really free?  :rolleyes:

Remember all the people dying in the streets here in the USA before Obamacare?  Yeah, me neither.

9 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Wage earners in the UK pay upward of 45% of the income in taxes. Stand-by to pay the same here.

What has that to do with the NHS?

Just now, WKDWZD said:

What has that to do with the NHS?

Do income taxes help pay for NHS? "Free" at the point of delivery does not mean "free" healthcare. You know this.

Just now, Sprightly said:

Do income taxes help pay for NHS? "Free" at the point of delivery does not mean "free" healthcare. You know this.

The NHS is primarily funded by NHI contributions.

Not only have I never claimed that our healthcare is free, i have repeatedly tried to make that clear to ignorant idiots on this forum, in this very thread even.

Hint - think of NHI as a kind of Health insurance company, only not a money grabbing for profit one, like you guys are only too happy to suffer and feed.

Just now, WKDWZD said:

The NHS is primarily funded by NHI contributions.

Not only have I never claimed that our healthcare is free, i have repeatedly tried to make that clear to ignorant idiots on this forum, in this very thread even.

Hint - think of NHI as a kind of Health insurance company, only not a money grabbing for profit one, like you guys are only too happy to suffer and feed.

:)

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

:)

Very informative.

32 minutes ago, VOSA said:

By whom?

Pear shaped. obese, lardbums mainly, I imagine.