Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

126 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

When will people realize that things they think are free aren't really free?  :rolleyes:

Remember all the people dying in the streets here in the USA before Obamacare?  Yeah, me neither.

I still have 1.5 more years than you do dude, spend your limited time wisely. :lol:

3 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Very informative.

You fight everything I say so it's not worth it. You will not admit that there are problems so your system of healthcare is the best in the world, without fault, and the United States should seek to emulate it. :) 

7 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Pear shaped. obese, lardbums mainly, I imagine.

IOW you have no idea what you're talking about.

23 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

:D  :D  It's a good thing that the :D emoticon wasn't created over there too!  :P 

A good thing that the world wide web was though, otherwise you would have to do something else, other than trolling, for your kicks. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

You fight everything I say so it's not worth it. You will not admit that there are problems so your system of healthcare is the best in the world, without fault, and the United States should seek to emulate it. :) 

Sprightly, I have 'admitted' there are problems with the NHS in this very thread. 

I don't think that the US should emulate our system, I do think that you should find a better way to fund and administer yours though.

4 minutes ago, VOSA said:

IOW you have no idea what you're talking about.

As much as you and the other trolls in this anti-Brit feeding frenzy thread though dude.;)

5 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Sprightly, I have 'admitted' there are problems with the NHS in this very thread. 

I don't think that the US should emulate our system, I do think that you should find a better way to fund and administer yours though.

I agree. As an American citizen, one who works in healthcare, I see a different picture of our healthcare system than do you.

16 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Pear shaped. obese, lardbums mainly, I imagine.

Be careful there, WKDWZD. I've been to your country many times. I saw what I saw and frankly, your fellow citizens could use some work on their eating and exercise habits as well. :)

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Be careful there, WKDWZD. I've been to your country many times. I saw what I saw and frankly, your fellow citizens could use some work on their eating and exercise habits as well. :)

And I've been to your country a few times and I've seen toothless americans too, does that make us even? :)

Just now, WKDWZD said:

And I've been to your country a few times and I've seen toothless americans too, does that make us even? :)

There are indeed "toothless" Americans.

32 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

As much as you and the other trolls in this anti-Brit feeding frenzy thread though dude.;)

Please point out where in any thread I have made an anti-Brit comment.

4 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Correct, you have not made one in this thread, you merely sniped "arrogance" at one of my posts because you didn't like my view of reality.

19 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Correct, you have not made one in this thread, you merely sniped "arrogance" at one of my posts because you didn't like my view of reality.

Wrong.

I coulldn't care less about your view of reality.

My comment was about your perception that your view of reality must be everyone's view of reality.

15 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Wrong.

I coulldn't care less about your view of reality.

My comment was about your perception that your view of reality must be everyone's view of reality.

Horsefeathers! I made no such claim.

9 hours ago, jdsample said:

You were told what was wrong with Obamacare the moment Dems allowed anyone to read it.  It didn't take budget cuts for the Hindenburg of legislative genius to crash in flames.  

um... ACA enrollments were robust even though the Trump administration shortened the window.

5 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

um... ACA enrollments were robust even though the Trump administration shortened the window.

Yes, following the speed limit is "robust" as well.  

No one has said you can't buy health insurance.  They only said you won't be fined if you don't.  Are you pro-choice or not?

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

Yes, following the speed limit is "robust" as well.  

No one has said you can't buy health insurance.  They only said you won't be fined if you don't.  Are you pro-choice or not?

So you're admitting that the ACA didn't crash into flames but instead has been holding up against the GOP onslaught?

13 hours ago, VOSA said:

You accurately pointed out the arrogant comment made.  I'm supposedly anti-Brit because I linked to a story about the overwhelmed N.H.S. and dared to say that I didn't want to see that system here. 

Funny how that works when someone still denies the truthfulness of the many stories cited, claims to be very knowledgeable about it first hand, and yet claims to have never heard about a black alert when it's all over the BBC news and elsewhere.

I personally believe that our medical facilities are second to none. In Maryland, we have the world's first shock trauma center where people come from every corner of the world to train. Of course, we also have Hopkins and many others.  Despite anecdotal stories otherwise, I know people whose lives have been saved by the wonderful medical care they received.  Where we have failed is in access to our medical facilities. It is beyond the pale that we have citizens in our country who have never received anything other than emergent care because they don't have insurance. They don't receive preventative check-ups; they don't receive ongoing care for diabetes, high blood pressure, and other long-term/life-long medical conditions because they don't have access to care.

Now that I have criticized our healthcare access, the flipside of the coin is that there are clinics all over this country that provide free or sliding-fee scale health care. They are staffed by very qualified individuals who chose to work in these non-profit centers because of the demographics of the patients they serve. The centers are run by government funding, foundation grants, donations, etc. I can name six or more right in Baltimore City.  However, the no-show rate for appointments at the centers hovers at around 40%. We have to figure out how to educate people about the importance of keeping appointments and not just show up when they are ill. We have to educate patients that their health matters, to get checkups, to take their meds, to take control of their own health matters. Emergency centers are horrible places to go for non-emergent care. And it's not necessary. Clinics and private medical offices are "dinged" by Medicare/Medicaid every time a patient shows up at an emergency center with non-emergency illnesses. There is a mindset that needs to be changed. But, minimally, we need to assure our citizens that when they need medical care and they will receive it despite their ability to pay. We need to educate people. Whether it is ACA, another system, or a combination of the two, we have to provide affordable healthcare to our people. Stop sitting in your ivory towers with the "I got mine" attitude and take a hard look at those who do not and the consequences on our society.

To do otherwise is a dark mark on our country.

Why is a Brit so concerned with US affairs?

Someone who knows NOTHING about our healthcare system knows what's best for us.

21 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I personally believe that our medical facilities are second to none. In Maryland, we have the world's first shock trauma center where people come from every corner of the world to train. Of course, we also have Hopkins and many others. 

31 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I personally believe that our medical facilities are second to none. In Maryland, we have the world's first shock trauma center where people come from every corner of the world to train. Of course, we also have Hopkins and many others.  Despite anecdotal stories otherwise, I know people whose lives have been saved by the wonderful medical care they received.  Where we have failed is in access to our medical facilities. It is beyond the pale that we have citizens in our country who have never received anything other than emergent care because they don't have insurance. They don't receive preventative check-ups; they don't receive ongoing care for diabetes, high blood pressure, and other long-term/life-long medical conditions because they don't have access to care.

Now that I have criticized our healthcare access, the flipside of the coin is that there are clinics all over this country that provide free or sliding-fee scale health care. They are staffed by very qualified individuals who chose to work in these non-profit centers because of the demographics of the patients they serve. The centers are run by government funding, foundation grants, donations, etc. I can name six or more right in Baltimore City.  However, the no-show rate for appointments at the centers hovers at around 40%. We have to figure out how to educate people about the importance of keeping appointments and not just show up when they are ill. We have to educate patients that their health matters, to get checkups, to take their meds, to take control of their own health matters. Emergency centers are horrible places to go for non-emergent care. And it's not necessary. Clinics and private medical offices are "dinged" by Medicare/Medicaid every time a patient shows up at an emergency center with non-emergency illnesses. There is a mindset that needs to be changed. But, minimally, we need to assure our citizens that when they need medical care and they will receive it despite their ability to pay. We need to educate people. Whether it is ACA, another system, or a combination of the two, we have to provide affordable healthcare to our people. Stop sitting in your ivory towers with the "I got mine" attitude and take a hard look at those who do not and the consequences on our society.

That is absolutely correct, IMO.  I also realize that others might have opinions that vary to some degree, but that is expected and no reason for someone to have hysterics over even if they do disagree. 

Of course, a lot of people do things to their bodies by engaging in habits that are very unhealthy.  Smoking is just one. Eating junk food and living a sedentary lifestyle is another. 

The other things you mentioned should not be taken as anti-USA either, just as not wanting to adopt the British system isn't anti-Brit. 

I doubt you'll see anyone having a conniption over your comments and no reasonable person would. 

31 minutes ago, Norman said:

And yet you always take the bait....

Funny but my posting seems to 'bait' you too sometimes, Norman ... Just saying. 

34 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

excellent post!

3 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Why is a Brit so concerned with US affairs?

Someone who knows NOTHING about our healthcare system knows what's best for us.

Derp-derp ... Look at the thread title dude. :rolleyes: