Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

N.H.S. Overwhelmed in Britain, Leaving Patients to Wait

126 posts in this topic

Actually, not all American health maintenance plans are for profit. One of the largest was the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association, covering over  106 million members was a "not for profit" program until 1986, when our beloved and benevolent government (thanks, Liberals!) decided that BC/BS was exempt until about 1986 as a social welfare program however their status was was revoked as the government decided that they sold "insurance-like programs." Go figure. I guess that like the lotteries, the government isn't happy unless they get their fingers in the pie.

In Maryland, CareFirst, a BC/BS affiliate was considered non profit, until a former CEO, William Jews, tried to take it for-profit, an idea that the State promptly squashed.

However, even today BC/BS is a major, if not the largest partner in Medicare/Medicaid programs. 

I've been a BC/BS member since the late 70's and yes, I pay small co-pays for some services (fewer now that i'm on Medicare), however knowing that nothing is free, I've gladly paid the relatively small co-pays for many benefits, including several major orthopedic  surgeries.

It's not a perfect system, however given that I can visit the physicians, pharmacies  and related needs of my choice,  I'll take it any day over someone's idea of "free" socialized medical care.

Ain't nuttin' free, folks.