Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FatBoy

Astronaut John Young, Who Flew In Space 6 Times, Dies At 87

30 posts in this topic

John Young died which certainly deserves a separate thread.  Head of the astronaut corp, he flew Gemini, Apollo, and commanded the first shuttle flight.  Ninth man to walk on the moon.  

I had a buddy in grad school who knew and revered John Young.  My buddy's job was to teach astronauts to fly the shuttle using the NASA simulator.  Eventually he got the bug and didn't want to train astronauts, he wanted to be one.  So he applied to the graduate physics program at UT Austin and became my classmate.  He told me once he had gone in his advisor's office and happened to see a glowing and eloquent letter of recommendation from John Young.  Unfortunately my buddy was diagnosed with cancer while in graduate school.  While he completed school with a PhD, he never realized his dream and died about 10 years later.  But it was obvious he had the deepest admiration and respect for John Young.  

https://www.space.com/39307-astronaut-john-young-moonwalker-shuttle-commander-obituary.html

From AP story this morning.  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_ASTRONAUT_FLOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Young was the first of his group to fly in space: He and Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom made the first manned Gemini mission in 1965. Unknown to NASA, Young smuggled a corned beef sandwich on board, given to him by Mercury astronaut Wally Schirra. When it came time to test NASA's official space food, Young handed Grissom the sandwich as a joke.

The ensuing scandal over that corned beef on rye - two silly minutes of an otherwise triumphant five-hour flight - always amazed Young. Sandwiches already had flown in space, Young said in his book, but NASA brass and Congress considered this one a multimillion-dollar embarrassment and outlawed corned beef sandwiches in space forever after.

Two years later, with Gemini over and Apollo looming, Young asked Grissom why he didn't say something about the bad wiring in the new Apollo 1 spacecraft. Grissom feared doing so would get him fired, Young said. A few weeks later, on Jan. 27, 1967, those wires contributed to the fire that killed Grissom, Edward White II and Roger Chaffee in a countdown practice on their Cape Canaveral launch pad.

It was the safety measures put in place after the fire that got 12 men, Young included, safely to the surface of the moon and back.

2 minutes ago, jdsample said:

John Young died which certainly deserves a separate thread.  

He has one. 

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

He has one. 

Apologies.  I did not see it.  

They will be merged I hope.  

Edited by jdsample

26 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

And it's "surly"....not "surely".

Thank you.  I wondered about that as I was typing.  At least I didn't type shirley.  

I think I'll have a corned beef sandwich for lunch. ;)

From AP story this morning.  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_ASTRONAUT_FLOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"Young was the first of his group to fly in space: He and Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom made the first manned Gemini mission in 1965. Unknown to NASA, Young smuggled a corned beef sandwich on board, given to him by Mercury astronaut Wally Schirra. When it came time to test NASA's official space food, Young handed Grissom the sandwich as a joke.

The ensuing scandal over that corned beef on rye - two silly minutes of an otherwise triumphant five-hour flight - always amazed Young. Sandwiches already had flown in space, Young said in his book, but NASA brass and Congress considered this one a multimillion-dollar embarrassment and outlawed corned beef sandwiches in space forever after.

Two years later, with Gemini over and Apollo looming, Young asked Grissom why he didn't say something about the bad wiring in the new Apollo 1 spacecraft. Grissom feared doing so would get him fired, Young said. A few weeks later, on Jan. 27, 1967, those wires contributed to the fire that killed Grissom, Edward White II and Roger Chaffee in a countdown practice on their Cape Canaveral launch pad.

It was the safety measures put in place after the fire that got 12 men, Young included, safely to the surface of the moon and back."

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

"Young was the first of his group to fly in space: He and Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom made the first manned Gemini mission in 1965. Unknown to NASA, Young smuggled a corned beef sandwich on board, given to him by Mercury astronaut Wally Schirra. When it came time to test NASA's official space food, Young handed Grissom the sandwich as a joke.

It was the safety measures put in place after the fire that got 12 men, Young included, safely to the surface of the moon and back."

Not just wiring, but  pure oxygen atmosphere inside the capsule.  You can burn a cinder block in that stuff.  It scares the crap out of me.  I was in charge of the O2 generator on a sub and some of the worst submarine accidents have been O2 accidents.  There was one case of a submarine sinking, being fully flooded next to the pier and O2 fires blazed for days after.  

When my chief said the O2 generator was consistently overheating and asked permission to cut a hole in a ventilation shaft to funnel cold air into the machine I said to make it so.  OK, not those words exactly.  I got in just a little trouble later when the captain inspected our spaces.  All I could say was "yes sir, I told them to do that."  Strictly verboten in Rickover's Navy.  But six months in the bath water of the Indian Ocean and no overheating.   

Edited by jdsample

3 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I think I'll have a corned beef sandwich for lunch. ;)

Thank you for the idea. I'll have one for lunch tomorrow.

Fair winds and following seas, Mr. Young.

5 hours ago, workerbee said:

Young was the first of his group to fly in space: He and Mercury astronaut Gus Grissom made the first manned Gemini mission in 1965. Unknown to NASA, Young smuggled a corned beef sandwich on board, given to him by Mercury astronaut Wally Schirra. When it came time to test NASA's official space food, Young handed Grissom the sandwich as a joke.

It was the safety measures put in place after the fire that got 12 men, Young included, safely to the surface of the moon and back.

I never knew all that corned beef stuff and that was during my time.  Grissom, White and Chaffee was the first horrible NASA accident I was aware of...I remember writing about it in my diary as a teen. 

Don’t Infowars/Trumpers believe the moon landing was fake and the earth is flat?

44 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

Don’t Infowars/Trumpers believe the moon landing was fake and the earth is flat?

No!

1 hour ago, Dinglehopper said:

Kindly keep your inappropriate political remarks to yourself.

This is a memorial thread about a great, if not the greatest, United States astronaut.

Start your own thread if you want to discuss the absurd topics you bring up.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

Kindly keep your inappropriate political remarks to yourself.

This is a memorial thread about a great, if not the greatest, United States astronaut.

Start your own thread if you want to discuss the absurd topics you bring up.

What ever.  I’ll say what I want where I want.

So many anti Govt and pro Russian posters here celebrating the life of a Govt employee is ironic  

Edited by Dinglehopper

There are not enough good things to say about Mr. Young, a man whose live defines American heroism!!

15 minutes ago, retired said:

There are not enough good things to say about Mr. Young, a man whose live defines American heroism!!

Agreed!  Big Government creates heroes 

Good story of Gemini 10 in "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins who flew with him for his first flight before Apollo. By all accounts a Very cool customer!

Perhaps there is a moment when one stares into the infinite sky that one can see beyond borders on this Earth. One can see beyond politics and conflict, and realize mankind is very small, and very, very vulnerable.

John Young did that.

"There’s a 1-in-455 chance of a civilization-ending event in the next century,” he says, ever ready with the statistics. “We can’t avoid catastrophe; we’ve got to plan for it.” Young has come to believe that a triple threat of disasters—asteroids, super volcanoes, and ourselves—could end civilization, and soon. The 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia, he thinks, was nothing compared to what’s ahead. And he believes the technologies NASA is developing to live on the moon—inflatable structures, rapid-growth-cycle wheat, alternative energy sources—could be our salvation.

In a remarkable series of memos to NASA’s upper management in his last years at the agency, Young laid out his case for why a “single planet species” can’t survive. In one 2001 note, he made a case for returning to the moon. He signed it “John Young, Ex-Lunar Field Geologist.”

https://www.airspacemag.com/space/spaceman-7766826/?page=4

10 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

So many anti Govt and pro Russian posters here celebrating the life of a Govt employee is ironic  

Hillary posts here!?

9 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

Agreed!  Big Government creates heroes 

Government creates no one but an underclass.  

10 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

Back in Young’s day, the government was his only ride to the moon. Only recently have things changed.  

22 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Hillary posts here!?

Good job comrade

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Back in Young’s day, the government was his only ride to the moon. Only recently have things changed.  

None of that would be possible without the excellent work or NASA and related agencies