Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Trump to deport 200,000 El Salvadorians who are here legally

194 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://abcnews.go.com/International/el-salvador-murder-capital-world-gang-violence-life/story?id=39177963

Gang violence has turned the small central American country of El Salvador, roughly 1,500 miles south of the United States border, into the murder capital of the world. On average, there was nearly one homicide per hour there in the first three months of 2016, according to El Salvador's government organization Instituto de Medicina Legal.

I'd say this warrants extending protected status or granting a new protected status.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

6 hours ago, hst2 said:

I didn't make it up. White nationalism and immigration are intertwined and represent the lifeblood of Donald Trump's political career. He believes it. His voters believe it.

"They did flock to Trump. But the reason they did so in enough numbers for Trump to win wasn’t anxiety about the economy. It was anxiety about Mexicans, Muslims and blacks.

Here’s how they put it in academese: “What stands out most, however, is the attitudes that became more strongly related to the vote in 2016: attitudes about immigration, feelings toward black people, and feelings toward Muslims,” writes George Washington University professor John Sides. He notes that the media focused on less-educated whites, but negative racial attitudes fueled by Trump were a big motivator for college-educated whites, too.

“I’ve got three words for you: scared white people,” Parker says. “Every period of racial progress in this country is followed by a period of retrenchment. That’s what the 2016 election was about, and it was plain as it was happening.”"

Link

I guess you haven't been paying attention.  Trump has no political career.  LOL  What other offices has he held?  

We have laws on the books.  When we ignore them we become a nation of men as opposed to a nation of laws.  If you don't like a law, or think we need a new one, there is a ready made remedy for that.  

But we don't want a nation where laws can be selectively enforced depending on your politics.  OR RACE!  You are arguing to legalize race-based law enforcement and you don't know it!

3 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don't think it's so easy peasy or it's likely that many would've done so. In some cases, you would have to go back to your home country and wait there while your petition for a green card was processed. That can take years.

Well they have been here since 2001 on a temporary pass.  I would think that if any wanted to stay they would have sought some kind of legal status in 18 years.  

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you work with your employer or prospective employer to apply for a green card.  You don't just apply and come get welfare.  You have to have a job lined up.  

I had a buddy I worked with from Sri Lanka, and wham bam, he had a green card in 6 months and didn't have to go back to Sri Lanka to wait for it.  

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, jdsample said:

I guess you haven't been paying attention.  Trump has no political career.  LOL  What other offices has he held?  

We have laws on the books.  When we ignore them we become a nation of men as opposed to a nation of laws.  If you don't like a law, or think we need a new one, there is a ready made remedy for that.  

But we don't want a nation where laws can be selectively enforced depending on your politics.  OR RACE!  You are arguing to legalize race-based law enforcement and you don't know it!

These people are here legally. Trump simply means to heap more misery on the most vulnerable people in our country.

That's what bullies do. That's what what right-wing white nationalists support. They delight in it.

They are so "law and order", they feel it isn't enforced when it actually is. It just isn't making enough people suffer.

Our history books are littered with such plagues 

Edited by hst2

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

Well they have been here since 2001 on a temporary pass.  I would think that if any wanted to stay they would have sought some kind of legal status in 18 years.  

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you work with your employer or prospective employer to apply for a green card.  You don't just apply and come get welfare.  You have to have a job lined up.  

I had a buddy I worked with from Sri Lanka, and wham bam, he had a green card in 6 months and didn't have to go back to Sri Lanka to wait for it.  

You could always inform yourself, and then you would know.

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

These people are here legally. Trump simply means to heap more misery on the most vulnerable people in our country.

That's what bullies do. That's what what right-wing white nationalists support. They delight in it.

They are so "law and order", they feel it isn't enforced when it actually is. It just isn't making enough people suffer.

Eh, I bet he doesn't really care either way...just trying to change the subject from the probe.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Eh, I bet he doesn't really care either way...just trying to change the subject from the probe.

He's a racist eugenicist. This is his bread and butter,

5 hours ago, hst2 said:

Legally but temporarily.  There was never any intention to have them hang out for 20 years.  TPS.  Temporary Protected Status.  

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Yeah. That is one of his worst comments. At least he means it so he gets a post for honesty. :)

hst2

hst2

We should all be anti-white. It is an illusion created to perpetuate racism. While I condemn their tactics, their anti-white position is one we should all aspire to.

Edited by Sprightly

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Yeah. That is one of his worst comments. At least he means it so he gets a post for honesty. :)

hst2

hst2

We should all be anti-white. It is an illusion created to perpetuate racism. While I condemn their tactics, their anti-white position is one we should all aspire to.

At least he's consistently inconsistent.;)

15 hours ago, banner1124 said:

What I fear is people who are OK with demonizing 200K plus people over the actions of a few.  Perhaps that's not something that's easy for you to understand but it damn sure is for me

Do you think sanctuary cities are good for citizens that live there? 

1 minute ago, mrdeltoid said:

Do you think sanctuary cities are good for citizens that live there? 

I'm not sure what on earth this question has to do with what I posted.

2 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

I'm not sure what on earth this question has to do with what I posted.

The issue is immigration policies. We live in Baltimore which our sanctuary status is a form or resistance of Trumps immigration reform. I feel that it attracts any illegal alien  gang members that doesn't want to be deported. Not good for our state, as the article show Marylands MS 13 growth.

Just now, mrdeltoid said:

The issue is immigration policies. We live in Baltimore which our sanctuary status is a form or resistance of Trumps immigration reform. I feel that it attracts any illegal alien  gang members that doesn't want to be deported. Not good for our state, as the article show Marylands MS 13 growth.

The issue on this topic is the 200K El Salvadorians, not immigration policy in general.  But if you want to transition the discussion then fine.

I don't agree with your position on sanctuary cities.  All a sanctuary city means is that local law enforcement isn't going to do ICE's job for them.  On balance I think it's good because it's going to be difficult to get the immigrant community to cooperate AT ALL with law enforcement if they are afraid they are going get deported if they interact in any way shape or form with local law enforcement.  In many places it was local law enforcement itself that spear-headed the sanctuary city movement 

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

Legally but temporarily.  There was never any intention to have them hang out for 20 years.  TPS.  Temporary Protected Status.  

But it is still legal. Trump did not have to do what he did.

Since you all are so hung up on legality, notice Trump puts thousands of children who are American citizens in a position of having to go to a very dangerous country to live.

What self-respecting country puts their own citizens in this kind of position?

A country where enough of  its members, despite the legality of the situation, don't really see them as citizens. They don't look like them.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, jdsample said:

This is completely unrelated to the post you appear to be responding to.

Edited by hst2

6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Since you all are so hung up on legality, notice Trump puts thousands of children who are American citizens in a position of having to go to a very dangerous country to live.

A country where enough of  its members, despite the legality of the situation, don't really see them as citizens. They don't look like them.

I still haven't seen one person able to explain the point of this.  Cant' anyone explain to all of us what urgent issue is being addressed by booting out 200K El Salvadorians?  

4 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Trump has never put our own citizens in that position.  Why would you say that?  

We have a group of people who were admitted legally with the understanding that when El Salvador recovered, they would go home.  Eighteen years later, the government has not lived up to its promise.  

5 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

I still haven't seen one person able to explain the point of this.  Cant' anyone explain to all of us what urgent issue is being addressed by booting out 200K El Salvadorians?  

After 17 years I don't know why you would see that as urgent.  If it were urgent, they would have returned home in 2003 or 2004.  It is simply something that we finally got around to addressing.  But the Salvadorans are free to apply for green cards or citizenship, just like everyone else who didn't get a 17 year free pass.  And they could have done so at anytime during their stay.  

Just now, jdsample said:

After 17 years I don't know why you would see that as urgent.  If it were urgent, they would have returned home in 2003 or 2004.  It is simply something that we finally got around to addressing.  But the Salvadorans are free to apply for green cards or citizenship, just like everyone else who didn't get a 17 year free pass.  And they could have done so at anytime during their stay.  

What the hell are you talking about?  I didn't say I see anything as urgent.  I'm asking why the sudden need to do this?  Is there an urgent issue that's being addressed?  no one can explain why we suddenly have to take this action.  

21 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Trump has tapped a deep vein of white resentment. I just never realized how sadistic it is.

10 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Why do they have to do it at all? What is wrong with allowing them to stay?