tooldtocare

What was the greatest invention of all time?

26 posts in this topic

What was the greatest invention of all time?

 I thought about it and at first, I decided the computer chip was it but now after watching my favorite TV show I change my mind. I think the invention of fictional TV series programs top the list. When I watch one of these programs I role play and become one of the character’s in the show. By doing this I experience feelings from different points of view that would not be possible in real time with real people. I believe this has helped me cope with the real world in the here and now; so the invention of TV is my choice.

 What is your choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tooldtocare said:

What was the greatest invention of all time?

 I thought about it and at first, I decided the computer chip was it but now after watching my favorite TV show I change my mind. I think the invention of fictional TV series programs top the list. When I watch one of these programs I role play and become one of the character’s in the show. By doing this I experience feelings from different points of view that would not be possible in real time with real people. I believe this has helped me cope with the real world in the here and now; so the invention of TV is my choice.

 What is your choice?

The ignore button.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Great inventions keep coming around all the time. Some last, some fade away replaced by more advanced inventions. Transportation - the Wheel, then Ships on the seas and Trains on land then the Internal Combustion Engine making Cars, Trucks & finally Airplanes possible. Now we've taken our first steps into Space. Newspapers then Telegraphs and Telephones to Radio, Movies then TV then Cable and Internet and Satellite communication. I couldn't pick just One. We're constantly Evolving. I'll bet someone will figure out how to control Fusion in the next 100yrs then we'll have all the Power we need cleanly. Who knows what people will be doing 100 years from now. We're here right now for just a little while. Enjoy This as much as you can while you're here. We'll all be History eventually and people will read or watch about what we did the same as you read or watch about what our predecessors did in the Past.

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably civilization. That is, the aggregation of people into larger that tribe-sized units. Pretty much everything else is a consequence of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The greatest and the worst...the internet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The greatest and the worst...the internet. 

I'd say...God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, tooldtocare said:

What was the greatest invention of all time?

 I thought about it and at first, I decided the computer chip was it but now after watching my favorite TV show I change my mind. I think the invention of fictional TV series programs top the list. When I watch one of these programs I role play and become one of the character’s in the show. By doing this I experience feelings from different points of view that would not be possible in real time with real people. I believe this has helped me cope with the real world in the here and now; so the invention of TV is my choice.

 What is your choice?

Along the same line, I'll go with the electric generator.   Electric power has made so many things possible and easier to do.  

Edited by SemiAuto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Probably civilization. That is, the aggregation of people into larger that tribe-sized units. Pretty much everything else is a consequence of that.

Can civilization be considered an invention ala the light bulb or the automobile?

Seems to me that civilization was something that occurred, not something that was invented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VOSA said:

Can civilization be considered an invention ala the light bulb or the automobile?

Seems to me that civilization was something that occurred, not something that was invented.

Isn't civilization an evolution? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, VOSA said:

Can civilization be considered an invention ala the light bulb or the automobile?

Seems to me that civilization was something that occurred, not something that was invented.

At some point somebody had to realize they could grow the plants they were foraging for food and that farming might be the better, more reliable way to get something to eat.   It may have been more of a process but somebody had to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, Bartman said:

Great inventions keep coming around all the time. Some last, some fade away replaced by more advanced inventions. Transportation - the Wheel, then Ships on the seas and Trains on land then the Internal Combustion Engine making Cars, Trucks & finally Airplanes possible. Now we've taken our first steps into Space. Newspapers then Telegraphs and Telephones to Radio, Movies then TV then Cable and Internet and Satellite communication. I couldn't pick just One. We're constantly Evolving. I'll bet someone will figure out how to control Fusion in the next 100yrs then we'll have all the Power we need cleanly. Who knows what people will be doing 100 years from now. We're here right now for just a little while. Enjoy This as much as you can while you're here. We'll all be History eventually and people will read or watch about what we did the same as you read or watch about what our predecessors did in the Past.

I agree with you so if I can I am going to change to OP question from "all time" to "up to 2018ad

btw thanks for your input.,.,.,.,.,., as I think all those who have and hopefully add more thoughts into this

(:-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On January 31, 2018 I will make the final post listing all entries by number (1).,.,.

then we vote for the #1

I correct the above. Everyone who votes will just vote for the one they chose in the first place resulting in nothing new.

So, no new votes in the end

Edited by tooldtocare
clearity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Music gets my vote.

Good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Isn't civilization an evolution? 

Evolved is a better word than occurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartman said:

2001.gif.421759b0f4a348d5924460afb55c0ab2.gif

So that’s what that was!! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although fire was not “invented”, the ability to make fire is, to me, numero uno. It gave primitive man the ability to control his environment, light the dark, cook foods unfit to eat raw and make other foods more palatable, to smoke meat and fish for preservation, and to smelt ore into metal that took us out of the Neolithic Era. 

Fire making is king. Or queen if you prefer! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say the Kardashians, totally useless but able to generate lots of $

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is DNA an invention--?

Wherever we humans have evolved from, we all have one thing in common, it is the same in plants, bacteria, Amoebae, insects, birds, fish and humans have & that is DNA.

The origin of DNA is the origin of life.

The question today is;  who/what invented it?

Edited by tooldtocare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thongs? Halter Tops? Tube Tops?

I could go on but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bartman said:

Thongs? Halter Tops? Tube Tops?

I could go on but....

Good friend of mine swears it's the white tank top ....

Been saying that's the greatest invention for decades .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, VOSA said:

Can civilization be considered an invention ala the light bulb or the automobile?

Seems to me that civilization was something that occurred, not something that was invented.

I regard anything that did not exist, and then due to the actions of men did exist, as an invention. Someone thought of it, and got others interested enough to invest in it (for a loose definition of invest that in this case does not mean "with money").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now