Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

Governor Proposes "Corruption" Investigator for Maryland Schools

39 posts in this topic

I guess the possibility of misdirected repair money for City schools was the catalyst for this action. The last sentence in the first pasted text may be a show stopper.

"Gov. Larry Hogan said Monday there is a crisis of confidence in Maryland’s public schools and proposed a new “investigator general” to root out what he described as corruption, mismanagement and ineptitude in some Maryland school districts.

In Hogan’s vision, the investigator would have subpoena power, the authority to summon people to public hearings and a bully pulpit.

“Our children desperately need someone to fight for their civil rights,” Hogan, a Republican, said during a wide-ranging news conference in Annapolis. “There’s not enough accountability.”

Establishing such a position would require the endorsement of the General Assembly."

Also, in same article: 

"Separately, the Republican governor announced the state would spend $2.5 million out of an emergency, discretionary account to help pay to fix the heat in Baltimore City schools.

Schools were shut down districtwide Friday because of inadequate heating systems during the recent cold snap that had left some students huddled in parkas inside classrooms and sparked widespread concern."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-education-20180108-story.html

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Hogan knocks it out of the park again.

Must be a little league park. Y'all love y'all some Hogan. He could take a dump and you'd all just think it was the rosiest smelling dump ever. :rolleyes::lol:

3 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Must be a little league park. Y'all love y'all some Hogan. He could take a dump and you'd all just think it was the rosiest smelling dump ever. :rolleyes::lol:

Why don’t you like his plans??

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

Why don’t you like his plans??

I didn't say I didn't. They seem like common sense. He's doing his job. Whoop dee doo. The bar sure is set low for some. 

The GA will never approve anything positive Hogan tries to do.  Goes against their agenda.  Can't have a republican accomplish something in this state.

Poor idea. There are already several Inspectors General in the counties. They can perform this function at no additional cost to the taxpayer.

But is there really a "crisis of confidence"  in the public schools in Maryland? Just a few years ago we were being proclaimed the best public school system in the country. Have we fallen that far so soon? If so, I'd be looking at the Governor and his administration as the problem, not the local jurisdictions.

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I didn't say I didn't. They seem like common sense. He's doing his job. Whoop dee doo. The bar sure is set low for some. 

Ohhhh garbage....your quote below....if THAT isn't dissing the plan.... I don't know what is.

smh

If what you just posted is 'your' truth at  the moment.....well maybe you should have said that first.

What are you getting online lessons from Trump in flip flopping and backtracking.

Shhesssh.

Edited by Guido2

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ohhhh garbage....your quote below....if THAT isn't dissing the plan.... I don't know what is.

smh

If what you just posted is 'your' truth at  the moment.....well maybe you should have said that first.

What are you getting online lessons from Trump in flip flopping and backtracking.

Shhesssh.

Not my fault you have a hard time with English. A little league park means it would not take much effort to hit "it out the park". In short, Hogan's measure appears to be common sense, and not some extraordinary feat. Pretty run of the mill for a competent governor IMO. 

Learn the nuances of the English language. Seems you never miss an opportunity to make a butt out of yourself due to your lack of comprehension. SMH...

14 minutes ago, XJLR said:

Poor idea. There are already several Inspectors General in the counties. They can perform this function at no additional cost to the taxpayer.

But is there really a "crisis of confidence"  in the public schools in Maryland? Just a few years ago we were being proclaimed the best public school system in the country. Have we fallen that far so soon? If so, I'd be looking at the Governor and his administration as the problem, not the local jurisdictions.

Poor idea.?

Well....think of this....yup....they exist....AND YOU CAN SEE WHAT A STELLAR JOB THEY ARE DOING.

Regarding best public schools.....well.....IF and only IF...the accusations and facts that are being presented....like routine grade changing in some districts....WHICH said inspectors should have been checking.....well....you connect the dots.

Here is your crayon.

48 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I guess the logical follow up question is, why didn't previous administrations do their job? This problem clearly didn't start in the last couple of years. So, isn't it nice to have common sense for a change?

Just now, Marshan Man said:

Not my fault you have a hard time with English. A little league park means it would not take much effort to hit "it out the park". In short, Hogan's measure appears to be common sense, and not some extraordinary feat. Pretty run of the mill for a competent governor IMO. 

Learn the nuances of the English language. Seems you never miss an opportunity to make a butt out of yourself due to your lack of comprehension. SMH...

So since one sentence was supoosed to be a wise butt remark....aka kidding. In your mind the second sentence about the dump means NOTHING.

ahhh  yeah.

BTW I hear the Ravens are looking for more people in the defensive people in the secondary. Seeing as how fast you can try an back peddle you have a shot.

I understand nuances very well..... I also recognizing a blantant diss of the Govenor and those that support him when I see.it.

Go back an retract you dump statement and apoligize and I'll write it off. But you won't...your not man enough....or women enough.

Gutless.

Just now, Struds said:

I guess the logical follow up question is, why didn't previous administrations do their job? This problem clearly didn't start in the last couple of years. So, isn't it nice to have common sense for a change?

Don't waste your time if you are expecting anything besides another LAE.

1 hour ago, Marshan Man said:

You seem to have some experience in smelling other people’s crap.

Probably a skill you acquired during the Martin years:D.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Struds said:

Perhaps they were better staffed and obviously they didn’t have the problems they do today. An “inspector” is a no-brainer at this point in the game. 

Edited by Marshan Man

3 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Perhaps they were better staffed and obviously they didn’t have the problems they do today. An “inspector” is a no-brainer at this point in the game. 

Ok. So I'm now reading that your real objection was the "knocked it out of the park" idea, and not that the Governor is initiating something most of us believe was past due. 

I'm pretty certain there have been numerous questions in the past about how North Ave uses the money it's been provided, but up until now, do you think the state has actually pressed that issue? I do not.

39 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

So since one sentence was supoosed to be a wise butt remark....aka kidding. In your mind the second sentence about the dump means NOTHING.

ahhh  yeah.

BTW I hear the Ravens are looking for more people in the defensive people in the secondary. Seeing as how fast you can try an back peddle you have a shot.

I understand nuances very well..... I also recognizing a blantant diss of the Govenor and those that support him when I see.it.

Go back an retract you dump statement and apoligize and I'll write it off. But you won't...your not man enough....or women enough.

Gutless.

That's about right. Cry me a Red Line. :)

1 hour ago, XJLR said:

Maybe there isn't one in the city. Likely wouldn't let them look at the books anyway. Audit is a bad word.

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe there isn't one in the city. Likely wouldn't let them look at the books anyway. Audit is a bad word.

Other than this position, there are no "County" "Inspector Generals."  Perhaps the misguided poster is thinking of " deputy States Attorneys, or assistant "Attorney Generals." :rolleyes:

The MD GOP has turned into a buncha Benita Buttrells for Hogan. :lol:

11 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

5 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Other than this position, there are no "County" "Inspector Generals."  Perhaps the misguided poster is thinking of " deputy States Attorneys, or assistant "Attorney Generals." :rolleyes:

Thanks Beth. for looking that up.

Steve.....that is the reason why Hogan want subpoena capability.

NOW......it will be interesting since the GA has to approve it .....how that wheel turns.. If you all want it.....I suggest that you start writing your reps and let them know in no uncertain terms a vote against it .....is a vote for the candidate running against them the next cycle.

I am.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

The MD GOP has turned into a buncha Benita Buttrells for Hogan. :lol:

Excuse my ignorance.....but what is that supposed to mean? Yeah she knows 'everything about everyone' ....but....Hogan? GOP?

Edited by Guido2

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

Thanks Beth. for looking that up.

Steve.....that is the reason why Hogan want subpoena capability.

NOW......it will be interesting since the GA has to approve it .....how that wheel turns.. If you all want it.....I suggest that you start writing your reps and let them know in no uncertain terms a vote against it .....is a vote for the candidate running against them the next cycle.

I am.

I don't know if the Guv of MD needs the GA's approval Guido, as any Governor of Maryland is one of the most powerful Governors in the country.

It’s a good idea, but why did he wait until an election year to address this issue? Where has he been the past three years?