Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

Governor Proposes "Corruption" Investigator for Maryland Schools

39 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

It’s a good idea, but why did he wait until an election year to address this issue? Where has he been the past three years?

I'll go out on a limb and say that record cold brought the problem to the public consciousness. Running any organization is sometimes a game of Whack-A-Mole, and governments seem to be run this way more often than not. Add in a dose of "Pugh seems to be fairly clueless and ineffective as a mayor" and there you have it.

13 hours ago, Struds said:

I guess the logical follow up question is, why didn't previous administrations do their job? This problem clearly didn't start in the last couple of years. So, isn't it nice to have common sense for a change?

O'Malley certainly was incompetent.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:52 AM, ivanbalt said:

O'Malley certainly was incompetent.

Likely you would have to go back to Schaffer to find a compentent Mayor.

Silly him.....he worried about pot holes.....and YELLED at those to be filled.....and guess what.....they were.

But you see.....he LOVED the city.....he wasn't worrying about who he ticked off and pandering to ax grinders to achieve the next step in government. Yes back then the city had it's flaws too.....BUT NOTHING LIKE NOW.

Edited by Guido2

On 1/9/2018 at 9:18 PM, Evil Yoda said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that record cold brought the problem to the public consciousness. Running any organization is sometimes a game of Whack-A-Mole, and governments seem to be run this way more often than not. Add in a dose of "Pugh seems to be fairly clueless and ineffective as a mayor" and there you have it.t

The "problem" was the heat (or, more accurately, the lack of heat) in many or most City schools due to the age of the heating systems. The problem was actually caused by the state's policies and by the city not being able to front the money and seek reimbursement. While I admit i don't the the ins-and-outs of this process, it's possible that the governor could fix this on his own with a stroke of his pen. Then  again, he may have to work with the General Assembly. In any event, this does not appear to be a problem warranting any sort of major investigation.

Of course, the Gov did manage to come up with $2.5 mil to throw to the City. Too little too late, but I'm sure some people will by impressed by his "rushing into action."

The other "problem" he cited was with the Baltimore County school superintendent. This is an issue between the superintendent and the School Board. The state has no reason go be involved. In this case, Hogan wants to embarrass Kamanetz to hurt him before the election.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:20 AM, Guido2 said:

Likely you would have to go back to Schaffer to find a compentent Mayor.

Silly him.....he worried about pot holes.....and YELLED at those to be filled.....and guess what.....they were.

But you see.....he LOVED the city.....he wasn't worrying about who he ticked off and pandering to ax grinders to achieve the next step in government. Yes back then the city had it's flaws too.....BUT NOTHING LIKE NOW.

Speaking of pot holes, I contacted the City one Sunday morning a few years back about some pot holes by my house. Imagine my surprise when a crew showed up about an hour later to fill them. On a Sunday morning. And it wasn't under the Schafer administration.

8 minutes ago, XJLR said:

The "problem" was the heat (or, more accurately, the lack of heat) in many or most City schools due to the age of the heating systems. The problem was actually caused by the state's policies and by the city not being able to front the money and seek reimbursement.

So years of mismanaging and outright fraud with the money allocated for maintenance had nothing to do with it?  I am pretty sure that paid for and never showed up parts and " magnetic water treatment systems" had a good bit to do with it.

All of that and more was in the tv 11 story.

2 hours ago, XJLR said:

The problem was actually caused by the state's policies and by the city not being able to front the money and seek reimbursement. While I admit i don't the the ins-and-outs of this process, it's possible that the governor could fix this on his own with a stroke of his pen. Then  again, he may have to work with the General Assembly. In any event, this does not appear to be a problem warranting any sort of major investigation.

Of course, the Gov did manage to come up with $2.5 mil to throw to the City. Too little too late, but I'm sure some people will by impressed by his "rushing into action."

The other "problem" he cited was with the Baltimore County school superintendent. This is an issue between the superintendent and the School Board. The state has no reason go be involved. In this case, Hogan wants to embarrass Kamanetz to hurt him before the election.

This isn't the first problem with city school spending, though. Those folks seem to lose money on a pretty regular basis, and I'm willing to bet a thorough audit is needed.

Of course he wants to embarrass Kamanetz. He's likely to be running against the man. And, frankly, I don't want Kamanetz running the state. Some of the things he tried in Baltimore County, I do not want statewide.

4 hours ago, XJLR said:

Speaking of pot holes, I contacted the City one Sunday morning a few years back about some pot holes by my house. Imagine my surprise when a crew showed up about an hour later to fill them. On a Sunday morning. And it wasn't under the Schafer administration.

Well that is great to hear. Obviously positive stories like that are not making the Sun as of late.

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

This isn't the first problem with city school spending, though. Those folks seem to lose money on a pretty regular basis, and I'm willing to bet a thorough audit is needed.

Of course he wants to embarrass Kamanetz. He's likely to be running against the man. And, frankly, I don't want Kamanetz running the state. Some of the things he tried in Baltimore County, I do not want statewide.

Living in Baltimore County.... I have been listening to and dealing with Kam. He is a mini-me version of Trump.

Anybody that tells voters at a meeting 'to sit down and shut up'  or did he say 'your job is to listen'...something like that....having people hauled out because he didn't like what they were saying in an open forum....says one thing does another...etc.

Frankly he makes Agnew seem normal.

4 hours ago, XJLR said:

The "problem" was the heat (or, more accurately, the lack of heat) in many or most City schools due to the age of the heating systems. The problem was actually caused by the state's policies and by the city not being able to front the money and seek reimbursement. While I admit i don't the the ins-and-outs of this process, it's possible that the governor could fix this on his own with a stroke of his pen. Then  again, he may have to work with the General Assembly. In any event, this does not appear to be a problem warranting any sort of major investigation.

X ....don't take this the wrong way....but....all you have stated with a question-ary tone. Has been detailed on this and other threads.

Bottom line.....the city had ample opportunity to get funds from the state UP FRONT....but it was too challenging for North Ave to get it's act together to do the paper work. And not need up front money.

2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Well that is great to hear. Obviously positive stories like that are not making the Sun as of late.

Well, wasn't that late. It was back when O'Malley was mayor.

15 hours ago, XJLR said:

So the City answered the request of one of its residents and that means what? It's not about what the City does. It's about what it hasn't done. It's about the Baltimore City Schools in disrepair - for years. Not sure what your anecdote is supposed to prove. :huh:

13 hours ago, XJLR said:

Well, wasn't that late. It was back when O'Malley was mayor.

Oh so this all happened previous to the last three admins....like over 10 years ago. Ah..got it. Explains everything.

4 hours ago, Sprightly said:

So the City answered the request of one of its residents and that means what? It's not about what the City does. It's about what it hasn't done. It's about the Baltimore City Schools in disrepair - for years. Not sure what your anecdote is supposed to prove. :huh:

If I am correct he is talking like 10 plus years ago....or so it seems.

Factoid: Since 1900 there have been 18 Mayors spanning over 171 years ...there have been only 5 Republicans the last being in 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mayors_of_Baltimore

Hmmmmmm maybe that explains something. :lol:

Edited by Guido2