Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore leaders 'decided to cut back on policing and prosecution' before homicides surged, Rosenstein says

41 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-rosenstein-comments-20180108-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3

In a speech in Florida on Monday, Rosenstein recounted the modern low 197 homicides in Baltimore in 2011, which he said was the result of his and other local, state and federal authorities joining together “to dismantle violent gangs and send armed criminals to prison for lengthy terms.”

Then, in 2015, “local authorities decided to try a new strategy. They decided to cut back on policing and prosecution,” he said.

“What happened next?” Rosenstein asked in prepared remarks at the American Correctional Association conference in Orlando, Fla. “Baltimore’s murder rate skyrocketed. In 2017, the murder rate was the highest in history. Hundreds of additional people lost their lives, and many hundreds more were wounded by bullets.”

…In November, after Baltimore Detective Sean Suiter was fatally shot in West Baltimore, Rosenstein, giving another speech in another city, quoted Pugh as saying that crime in Baltimore is “out of control.”

“If that is true, people should be held accountable,” Rosenstein continued. “Crime is not like the weather. If crime is out of control, it is because people failed to control it.

Rosenstein ain't lying.

Rosenstein did not respond to questions seeking more clarity on his comments on Monday.

He'll fit in well.

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

He'll fit in well.

Sure.

Melba Saunders, a spokeswoman for Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, declined to comment.

4 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

He'll fit in well.

How much more clearer can he be? 

1 hour ago, AugusteDupin said:

Clear as a 5 degree night in January.  And we've had quite a few of those lately. :)

6 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Melba Saunders, a spokeswoman for Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, declined to comment.

Was it because they were too busy meeting with Gangstr's planning next week's arm in arm march?

39 minutes ago, FJBlacknight said:

Was it because they were too busy meeting with Gangstr's planning next week's arm in arm march?

That was last month!

13 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

If local authorities decided to cut back on policing and prosecutions, I'd be curious to hear the details or specifics.  I understand he's telling you exactly what you want to hear so you're lack of interest in details makes sense.

7 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

If local authorities decided to cut back on policing and prosecutions, I'd be curious to hear the details or specifics.  I understand he's telling you exactly what you want to hear so you're lack of interest in details makes sense.

Who do you think he's referring to when he said: "they decided to cut back on policing and prosecutions"? How do you not know the details or specifics? You clearly haven't been paying attention. He's saying what's clearly evident to the folks that are paying close attention to what's happening in Baltimore. I can understand how your lack of empathy clouds your ability to see let alone understand what makes sense. 

21 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

I'd like to know who, how and why city leaders decided to cut back on policing and prosecution. Specific examples or quotes would work wonders.

Edited by Pickle20

13 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

one example 

Another example

Yet another example

Trust me the writings on the wall. 

All these articles are from 2017. The quote in the OP says this all happened in 2015, under SRB.

So I would like to see some examples of how and when that happened.

I'd also like to see examples of the scaling back of prosecutions too.

8 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Ahhhh.... I could be wrong....but I doubt it.....didn't SRB and counsel cut like 400 policing potions around that time?

Hmmmm maybe they needed more money for the boilers :lol: or maybe more rec centers. :lol: or higher quality paper clips at North Avenue.:lol:

29 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

All these articles are from 2017. The quote in the OP says this all happened in 2015, under SRB.

So I would like to see some examples of how and when that happened.

I'd also like to see examples of the scaling back of prosecutions too.

It started as a result of the riots. I'm sure you can search it yourself. I gave you examples which I'm certain was the catalyst to what's happening now. Google is an amazing tool. Give it a try. 

Edited by AugusteDupin

51 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I'd like to know who, how and why city leaders decided to cut back on policing and prosecution. Specific examples or quotes would work wonders.

OK here is just one:

Jessamy went a step further, calling Rawlings-Blake's proposal "unconstitutional." She said the city can cut her budget but not instruct her specifically how to do it.  About $1.5 million would be cut from the Baltimore state's attorney's office, including about $800,000 in funding for 14 community outreach positions in the city's District Court.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog-2010-03-mayors_proposed_budget_generat-story.html

And another

The mayor's latest budget proposal cuts some services, freezes police positions and raises some fees -- all intended to cure a deficit.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/mayor-s-budget-cuts-some-services-to-close-60m-deficit/7099788

And if you are bored....a ton more.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=gHdWWqzzAo-qggfXh5voAw&q=mayor+stephanie+rawlings-blake+baltimore+cuts+police+positions&oq=mayor+stephanie+rawlings-blake+baltimore+cuts+police+postio&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i13i21k1.6849.19758.0.22406.24.24.0.0.0.0.110.1853.22j2.24.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.22.1659...0i22i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.JXELtYb1tJc

Edited by Guido2

9 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

It started as a result of the riots. I'm sure you can search it yourself. I gave you examples which I'm certain was the catalyst to what's happening now. Google is an amazing tool. Give it try. 

See above. :D I love Google......so much better than Webcrawler..:lol:

Edited by Guido2

Why would Rosenstein say "Then, in 2015, “local authorities decided to try a new strategy. They decided to cut back on policing and prosecution," if it was about budget cuts?  There have certainly been budget cuts in the past. 

I don't think budget cuts are anyone's "strategy".  To me he's referring to some kind of orders about how policing and prosecuting are to be performed.  Which is why I'd like to know more.

Who do you think he's referring to when he said: "they decided to cut back on policing and prosecutions"? How do you not know the details or specifics? You clearly haven't been paying attention. He's saying what's clearly evident to the folks that are paying close attention to what's happening in Baltimore. I can understand how your lack of empathy clouds your ability to see let alone understand what makes sense. 

Lack of empathy?  I live in the city as opposed to those that come to the board to complain.  :rolleyes:

More examples: this one is from 2009 where city officials in their infantile wisdom thought it would be best to eliminate PAL centers. No wonder the kids in the city have precipitated to committing carjackings and other crimes. 

24 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Why would Rosenstein say "Then, in 2015, “local authorities decided to try a new strategy. They decided to cut back on policing and prosecution," if it was about budget cuts?  There have certainly been budget cuts in the past. 

I don't think budget cuts are anyone's "strategy".  To me he's referring to some kind of orders about how policing and prosecuting are to be performed.  Which is why I'd like to know more.

What you think and what's actually happening are two totally different things. Try thinking outside of the box for once. The art of nous is not that difficult once you wield it! 

24 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Lack of empathy?  I live in the city as opposed to those that come to the board to complain.  :rolleyes:

Many of us that come to the board to complain, used to live and work and pay taxes in Baltimore City and are sick to our stomachs at what has happened to a place we used to love. I feel sorry for you that you’re still there. I really do. It’s not going to get better. 

There are FB pages galore that show photo after photo and stories of “old Baltimore.” It’s nostalgic and sad to see the clean, safe streets where residents (our parents and grandparents) took pride in their homes and knew and cared for one another, and built businesses. 

That’s why we complain. 

28 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Yes, you lack it (empathy): The action of understanding, being aware...You call it complaining ( a word I associate with "burying your head in the sand"), I call it awareness. 

2 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Many of us that come to the board to complain, used to live and work and pay taxes in Baltimore City and are sick to our stomachs at what has happened to a place we used to love. I feel sorry for you that you’re still there. I really do. It’s not going to get better. 

There are FB pages galore that show photo after photo and stories of “old Baltimore.” It’s nostalgic and sad to see the clean, safe streets where residents (our parents and grandparents) took pride in their homes and knew and cared for one another, and built businesses. 

That’s why we complain. 

And B I N G O was his name Ohhhhhh! 

It started as a result of the riots. I'm sure you can search it yourself. I gave you examples which I'm certain was the catalyst to what's happening now. Google is an amazing tool. Give it a try. 

I wasn't criticizing you, I was saying that if Rothstein is going to give a quote like that, I would like to see some specifics to back it up. Which he failed to do by turning down a follow up interview.

I know the riots affected crime, but I think that was more on the police's response to the Mosby charges than it was the city leaders making a decision to police less and pursue less prosecutions. That seems absolutely insane, even for this city, so I would like to see what he meant by that. I'm intrigued.

Edited by Pickle20