Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore leaders 'decided to cut back on policing and prosecution' before homicides surged, Rosenstein says

41 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Why would Rosenstein say "Then, in 2015, “local authorities decided to try a new strategy. They decided to cut back on policing and prosecution," if it was about budget cuts?  There have certainly been budget cuts in the past. 

I don't think budget cuts are anyone's "strategy".  To me he's referring to some kind of orders about how policing and prosecuting are to be performed.  Which is why I'd like to know more.

Google is your friend.

4 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I wasn't criticizing you, I was saying that if someone is going to give a quote like that, I would like to see some specifics to back it up.

I know the riots affected crime, but I think that was more on the police and their response to the Mosby charges than it was the city leaders making a decision to police less and not pursue prosecutions. That seems absolutely insane, even for this city, so I would like to see what he meant by that. I'm intrigued.

Pickle....look. You are looking for a bibliography and footnotes for a speech....your not going to get one.

If the policy was to cut costs on the part of RB and the council and due to that the policy 'ran downhill' for cuts which included judicial and police....that policy affected those things that Rosentstein was referring to. Did someone come out and say OH WE GOTTA CUT JUDICIAL AND POLICE FUNDING to stop or curtain the things that are happening to the thugs'. No....of course not.

But the end results are the same.

Look. You are in a sealed room....no windows.....with one door. Someone walks in soaking wet with a wet umbrella in their hand. Is it safe to figure out that it is LIKELY raining? Or do you need a specific announcement to that affect to know and be sure it is raining.

Hope that helps.

56 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Lack of empathy?  I live in the city as opposed to those that come to the board to complain.  :rolleyes:

Ivan.....you fail to  understand one thing ....or should I say accept one thing.

We ... the unwashed that live outside the city....SUPPORT THE DAMN CITY!!!! Without OUR tax dollars the city would be but a footnote in the history books. So yeah you live there. Some people are smart and don't.

However we are still footing the bill so you can. If I am and others are paying the freight....I damn well have the right to complain.

18 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I wasn't criticizing you, I was saying that if Rothstein is going to give a quote like that, I would like to see some specifics to back it up. Which he failed to do by turning down a follow up interview.

I know the riots affected crime, but I think that was more on the police's response to the Mosby charges than it was the city leaders making a decision to police less and pursue less prosecutions. That seems absolutely insane, even for this city, so I would like to see what he meant by that. I'm intrigued.

Of course it was Mosby’s ridiculous, yet lethal, charges. The police were literally scared to death, for awhile, to police the masses. Scared they’d be attacked or at the least videoed or photographed, taken out of context, indicted and have their lives turned upside down for 3 years.  

The DA’s offices were swamped with cases they weren’t going to win and the real cases were put on the back burner. 

There’s your cutback and slowdown. 

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Lack of empathy?  I live in the city as opposed to those that come to the board to complain.  :rolleyes:

I'm sure you carefully chose where you live in the city.  I also think that like many others (you mentioned your friends who moved just recently) who moved out of the city, you've give thought to doing the same when the time comes if you have school age children unless you intend to use private schools there. 

The city is a big place and all areas are not the same.

2 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

I wasn't criticizing you, I was saying that if Rothstein is going to give a quote like that, I would like to see some specifics to back it up. Which he failed to do by turning down a follow up interview.

I know the riots affected crime, but I think that was more on the police's response to the Mosby charges than it was the city leaders making a decision to police less and pursue less prosecutions. That seems absolutely insane, even for this city, so I would like to see what he meant by that. I'm intrigued.

I didn't say or feel like you were criticizing me. I was just pointing out that there are examples out there to research. Based on what I read, it appears that Rosenstein was comparing stats from 2011 to present under his administration as the US Attorney for Baltimore. I don't believe he failed to back anything up. The stats are there to read. Are you suggesting  that he should've provided a powerpoint presentation during his speech for a visual? 

Hey gang.....good news.....Pugh decided to hire Davon to be grand marshall for the Martin Luther King parade. And ONLY for 65000....such a deal :rolleyes:.

smh

Your safer in federal prison than you are on the streets of Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Boobie said:

Your safer in federal prison than you are on the streets of Baltimore.

Well that depend on what gang you belong to in prison. :lol:

14 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Ivan.....you fail to  understand one thing ....or should I say accept one thing.

We ... the unwashed that live outside the city....SUPPORT THE DAMN CITY!!!! Without OUR tax dollars the city would be but a footnote in the history books. So yeah you live there. Some people are smart and don't.

However we are still footing the bill so you can. If I am and others are paying the freight....I damn well have the right to complain.

Ah, the old imaginary scenario where you pick and choose where your tax dollars go.  I wonder where Baltimore County would be without state tax dollars provided by all the other counties and the city?  Probably better off than the city for a time, but there are a lot of roads to repair as one example.  That's how taxes work.  :rolleyes:

Do you go through this little exercise with your federal taxes too?  Maybe go to a chat board in Mississippi and complain about how your federal tax dollars keep them a float?  :lol:

14 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Google is your friend.

I did.  Beyond budget cuts I see no evidence of local leaders creating and enforcing a strategy to cut back on policing and prosecution.  I wouldn't be surprised if SRB did something stupid like that, I'd just be interested in specifics which Rosenstein did not provide.

14 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

I didn't say or feel like you were criticizing me. I was just pointing out that there are examples out there to research. Based on what I read, it appears that Rosenstein was comparing stats from 2011 to present under his administration as the US Attorney for Baltimore. I don't believe he failed to back anything up. The stats are there to read. Are you suggesting  that he should've provided a powerpoint presentation during his speech for a visual? 

Well, yes. More information is always good. Or do you disagree?

I wouldn't say Mosby's charges were "cutting back on policing". That was a result, not a voluntary decision to cut back on policing. The budget cuts happened a few years later.

Edited by Pickle20

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

I did.  Beyond budget cuts I see no evidence of local leaders creating and enforcing a strategy to cut back on policing and prosecution.  I wouldn't be surprised if SRB did something stupid like that, I'd just be interested in specifics which Rosenstein did not provide.

I guess....the trickle down affect of cutting funding was way beyond your comprehension as to a lack of funding in affect creates policy at lower levels.

But do go on embarrassing yourself.

Yah know....he was not required to give you footnotes on his speech....however others have here on this thread....infact I provided a direct link about how SRBs cuts tricked down which cut funding in judicial.....or didn't your read.....or more than likely....didn't understand the article.

smh

My work is done here.....I am going to talk to the adults now.

2 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Ah, the old imaginary scenario where you pick and choose where your tax dollars go.  I wonder where Baltimore County would be without state tax dollars provided by all the other counties and the city?  Probably better off than the city for a time, but there are a lot of roads to repair as one example.  That's how taxes work.  :rolleyes:

Do you go through this little exercise with your federal taxes too?  Maybe go to a chat board in Mississippi and complain about how your federal tax dollars keep them a float?  :lol:

I have no problem with money being returned to the districts by the state....none at all.

I do have a problem with ...regardless of how much the city is funded....they never have enough....or they can't account for where the money is spent. The Balt. county....gee.....which is WAY bigger than the city....and has more diverse needs.....somehow doesn't seem to run into the money issues the city does.

Why is that? Better accounting methods? More accountability? A voter block that watches what is going on and is involved? A much smaller criminal element because the county courts put bad guys in jail?

Simply stated; why is it all the rest of MD seems to have NONE of the money issues that the city does while getting less comparatively. Yet seems to roll along with little or few issues. Riddle me that Batman

Look.... I have no issue with THE CITY....get that straight. I do have an issue with a gooberment that can't find its butt with both hands AND HAS THE AUDACITY.....to blame everyone and everything ELSE for it's shortcomings.

Got it.

Edited by Guido2

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

He’s seriously like a broken record attempting to play the same bad song :lol:

3 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Well, yes. More information is always good. Or do you disagree?

I wouldn't say Mosby's charges were "cutting back on policing". That was a result, not a voluntary decision to cut back on policing. The budget cuts happened a few years later.

Well if the speaker is giving his opinions on something that is pretty much common knowledge, then visual aids would rather be unnecessary, IMO.