Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Is Trump going to shut down government over his useless wall?

175 posts in this topic

Symbol over substance

...While there is no evidence that such a wall would hinder undocumented immigrants from entering the country, it was a powerful symbol for Trump and his supporters, a rebuke to those who had abandoned “common sense” in favor of “political correctness” when dealing with immigration.

But Trump has gained little traction in his attempts to get Congress to fund the project. The administration is now engaging in a risky dealmaking strategy to trade wall funding for the codification of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which would allow some 800,000 DREAMers to remain in the United States. Furthermore, on Tuesday, the administration reportedly signaled that it would accept cuts or delays to funding for “border surveillance, radar technology, patrol boats, and customs agents” in order to pay for a wall. The New York Times noted that all of these are “proven security measures that officials and experts have said are more effective than building a wall along the Mexican border.”

These changes are a bit strange, given that some Democrats have signaled that they would be willing to increase funding for some of these programs to prevent DREAMers from being deported. But the Trump administration seems willing to sacrifice proven anti-immigration programs to bolster symbolic ones

I dunno, will the dems shut down government for refusing any inkling of border security and immigration limits  while not accomplishing anything fore their beloved dreamers?

say, how did that blithering idiot of the Woolf book manage to hold it together so well for that DACA meeting?

10 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

I dunno, will the dems shut down government for refusing any inkling of border security and immigration limits  while not accomplishing anything fore their beloved dreamers?

Perhaps you missed this:

"Some Democrats have signaled that they would be willing to increase funding for some of these programs to prevent DREAMers from being deported." 

My company is preparing for some of our contractors on federal projects to be furloughed.  

56 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Thread title is a lie.

The thread title is a question.... just how is it a lie?

Trump learned what the term "clean bill" means today.

For a moment, Democrats thought they had struck an unexpected deal with President Trump. Trump had previously insisted that any deal protecting "dreamers" — undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children — should also include border security and/or a border wall. But he now says that he would support a “clean” bill protecting dreamers, and then take up comprehensive immigration reform later. ...“Yeah, I would like to do that. I think a lot of people would like to see that.”

The problem? Trump didn't know what “clean DACA bill” meant. Republicans quickly interjected and made clear that Trump believes a “clean” bill would include border security. Except that's not at all what a clean bill is; that's a compromise bill. A clean bill only has one component to it and doesn’t include multiple elements, which could muddy it.

...Even by the end of the meeting, Trump seemed to indicate that the border wall isn't necessarily a must-have for him — becoming just the latest iteration in a dizzying series of back-and-forths on what he wants in a DACA deal.

Link

As Mitch McConnell once pointed out, he'll sign whatever they put in front of him.

34 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

The thread title is a question.... just how is it a lie?

Its an assumption on the writers part not a fact.

8 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Its an assumption on the writers part not a fact.

Bingo.

Just now, mcorioles said:

Bingo.

That still doesn't equate the the thread title being a lie.  The thread title is not a statement, it's a question.

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

That still doesn't equate the the thread title being a lie.  The thread title is not a statement, it's a question.

Ok,the question is built on a lie........better?

28 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Nope, still won't be enough .....

39 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

That's more accurate... of course, it's only your OPINION that it's build on a lie but at least that description is accurate

10 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Nope, still won't be enough .....

Pipe down... as usual you're WRONG again.... don't you have a really questiony question to ask someone someplace... ?????????????

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

That's more accurate... of course, it's only your OPINION that it's build on a lie but at least that description is accurate

No it's a lie simply because how can a wall be useless?

Stop trying to be me.......too tall of a task for you.

Just now, banner1124 said:

Pipe down... as usual you're WRONG again.... don't you have a really questiony question to ask someone someplace... ?????????????

I see your weasel out answer. What's the word you use a lot, oh yeah, dishonest ..........

1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

No it's a lie simply because how can a wall be useless?

Stop trying to be me.......too tall of a task for you.

No one is trying to be you... don't flatter yourself... I wouldn't take a step down like that

And of course a wall can be useless... I can't even believe you asked such a ridiculous question

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

I see your weasel out answer. What's the word you use a lot, oh yeah, dishonest ..........

Another insufferably stupid post from you... go away and bug someone else please.... I simply don't have time for the amount of stupid you bring to the table

2 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Another insufferably stupid post from you... go away and bug someone else please.... I simply don't have time for the amount of stupid you bring to the table

You could do the same. Did you buy the forum ..???

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

No one is trying to be you... don't flatter yourself... I wouldn't take a step down like that

And of course a wall can be useless... I can't even believe you asked such a ridiculous question

But your line of questioning undoubtedly mimics mine today.......coincidence? I think not.

About the wall.............step back ,take a breath and think before you call someone ridiculous.

Why all the name calling?

Edited by mcorioles