Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncbirdfan

"Wink" is Baltimore's new DC

65 posts in this topic

I just heard it on the radio. I'll get back with confirmation.

Nuts .....

I saw it on RSR. I may sell my tickets now. It will only get worse.

It's on the Sun's website as well.

Do you think it's a good move? I know nothing about him.

It's about continuity. I get that; it is comfortable to work with people you're familiar with, who know how it goes in your organization. I'm just not sure that when you seem to be mired in mediocrity that continuity is the best way out of it.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

This is the sixth consecutive time the Ravens have filled their defensive coordinator opening from within. 

Not surprising in this instance, however. As I stated in another thread, it would have been very difficult to bring in someone from elsewhere when Harbaugh's long-term job security has to be considered uncertain at this point. 

9 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

This is the sixth consecutive time the Ravens have filled their defensive coordinator opening from within. 

Not surprising in this instance, however. As I stated in another thread, it would have been very difficult to bring in someone from elsewhere when Harbaugh's long-term job security has to be considered uncertain at this point. 

Good point. 

34 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I think Pagano was the first choice but maybe he just decided to sit this year out. This is purely speculation on my part with all that I have read.

I think you have to give the guy a chance before saying it was a bad choice.   And if it does turn out to be a bad choice it's likely that everyone goes, Harbuagh, Morningwhig, and Martindale.  There will be a whole new coaching staff in here after next year.  It's hard to imagine Biscotti will be patient yet another time if the Ravens don't improve next year.  The whole coaching staff clearly has to be on the hot seat.  

So we're standing pat .....

Maybe if we draw one of the easiest schedules again next year and get to face a lot of back up qbs we can get close to making the playoffs again .....

So what's going to change? .....

22 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Maybe if we draw one of the easiest schedules again next year and get to face a lot of back up qbs we can get close to making the playoffs again .....

It's not an easy schedule compared to this year. The Ravens will be playing at least half of this year's  playoff teams and Cleveland should be better than they were this season.

31 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Can't predict the QB situation, that's an unknown, except that it is highly unlikely for a team to have that kind of luck two years in a row.  But the schedule definitely does not look easy compared to this year.  Substitute the AFC West for the AFC South, and the NFC South for NFC North.  And the two AFC positional teams that were Miami and Oakland this year will be Tennessee and Buffalo next year.   If they had that schedule this year with the team they had the record would have probably been 6-10 or 7-9.  

46 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

It's hard to imagine Biscotti will be patient yet another time if the Ravens don't improve next year.  The whole coaching staff clearly has to be on the hot seat.  

Bisciotti has shown remarkable patience given the last five years or so of mediocre play. We don't really know what his tolerance is.

So far this year, he has not issued one of his "this is a winning organization and we know you fans expect better" statements. Maybe it's too soon. But they ring a little hollower each year.

30 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

It's not an easy schedule compared to this year. The Ravens will be playing at least half of this year's  playoff teams and Cleveland should be better than they were this season.

Well, everybody said that about Cleveland after last year's 1-15 campaign.  So never, ever assume anything positive about the Cleveland Browns.  :)

Doesn’t matter who coaches offense or defense as long as Happy Days Harbaugh keeps bringing in cornball mighty men who buy into his FCA bs.

press conference was very revealing when he was discussing his relationship with biscotti.  He can play him like a fiddle by humoring his input and stroking his ego.  Billick rightfully laughed in the young mans face when he took his seat at the table and started weighing in like he knew something.  That did him in...Johnny knows how to play the game.

Did jon not say he is going to be more involved in player selection?  That is frightening as hell..Potsie Harbaugh and that fraud Eric decosta need to be on the outside looking in on player development.

8 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Well, everybody said that about Cleveland after last year's 1-15 campaign.  So never, ever assume anything positive about the Cleveland Browns.  :)

People have been saying Cleveland is going to be better next year for over a decade.  Then again, 1 or 2 wins is better.

Wow. You guys are the ones who are unbelievable. The guy hasn't even had time to introduce himself as the new defensive coordinator yet and you guys are already crying about how bad a job he is doing. For everyone of you guys who are complaining about the hire, please inform me of why he is such a bad defensive coordinator? Give me some facts that will help me realize what a poor job he is going to do next year.

58 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

People have been saying Cleveland is going to be better next year for over a decade.  Then again, 1 or 2 wins is better.

The law of averages has to favor them sometime and they now have better leadership to make it happen. They also have a ton of high draft picks.

Edited by ncbirdfan

I did not realize he was a defensive coordinator in 2010 for the Denver Broncos under HC Josh Mcdaniels.  He succeeded Mike Nolan.  That year the Broncos finished 4-12, dead last in defense giving up 471 points on the season.  They gave up 24 or more points in 12 of their 16 games.  The Ravens beat them 31-17 in Baltimore.  Demaryus Thomas, Tim Tebow, and Eric Decker were their notable draft choices before that season.  I think Tebow was the pick they made from trading up with the Ravens.  The Ravens got the Broncos second round pick which became the ill fated Sergio Kindle selection.  Kyle Orton was the Broncos starting QB that year.  Elvis Dumerville was on the Broncos, but was hurt during pre-season and missed the entire year.   HC Josh Mcdaniels was fired late in the season after a video taping incident came to light.  After the season John Fox was hired and retained OC Mike McCoy, but released Martindale.   Martindale sat out the 2011 season before being hired by the Ravens in 2012. 

8 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I did not realize he was a defensive coordinator in 2010 for the Denver Broncos under HC Josh Mcdaniels.  He succeeded Mike Nolan.  That year the Broncos finished 4-12, dead last in defense giving up 471 points on the season.  They gave up 24 or more points in 12 of their 16 games.  The Ravens beat them 31-17 in Baltimore.  Demaryus Thomas, Tim Tebow, and Eric Decker were their notable draft choices before that season.  I think Tebow was the pick they made from trading up with the Ravens.  The Ravens got the Broncos second round pick which became the ill fated Sergio Kindle selection.  Kyle Orton was the Broncos starting QB that year.  Elvis Dumerville was on the Broncos, but was hurt during pre-season and missed the entire year.   HC Josh Mcdaniels was fired late in the season after a video taping incident came to light.  After the season John Fox was hired and retained OC Mike McCoy, but released Martindale.   Martindale sat out the 2011 season before being hired by the Ravens in 2012. 

Sounds like we were lucky to get him.....

Sure othet teams were ready to pounce on thus hot commodity as soon as the Ravens playoff run ended .....

Wait....

55 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Wow. You guys are the ones who are unbelievable. The guy hasn't even had time to introduce himself as the new defensive coordinator yet and you guys are already crying about how bad a job he is doing. For everyone of you guys who are complaining about the hire, please inform me of why he is such a bad defensive coordinator? Give me some facts that will help me realize what a poor job he is going to do next year.

If you think the defense philosophy will change next year, think again. Harbaugh doesn't want to change. He will go down with the ship.

2 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Sounds like we were lucky to get him.....

Sure othet teams were ready to pounce on thus hot commodity as soon as the Ravens playoff run ended .....

Wait....

I can understand Pagano maybe not wanting to jump right back into coaching, but Austin, Fangio or Pettine could have been brought it. Harbaugh doesn't want to change or coaches know he will not them do what they want.

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

As I said in another thread, this board has gotten as depressing as the O’s board. 

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

The law of averages has to favor them sometime and they now have better leadership to make it happen. They also have a ton of high draft picks.

They always have a ton of high draft picks