Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCBirdfan

"Wink" is Baltimore's new DC

65 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I did not realize he was a defensive coordinator in 2010 for the Denver Broncos under HC Josh Mcdaniels.  He succeeded Mike Nolan.  That year the Broncos finished 4-12, dead last in defense giving up 471 points on the season.  They gave up 24 or more points in 12 of their 16 games.  The Ravens beat them 31-17 in Baltimore.  Demaryus Thomas, Tim Tebow, and Eric Decker were their notable draft choices before that season.  I think Tebow was the pick they made from trading up with the Ravens.  The Ravens got the Broncos second round pick which became the ill fated Sergio Kindle selection.  Kyle Orton was the Broncos starting QB that year.  Elvis Dumerville was on the Broncos, but was hurt during pre-season and missed the entire year.   HC Josh Mcdaniels was fired late in the season after a video taping incident came to light.  After the season John Fox was hired and retained OC Mike McCoy, but released Martindale.   Martindale sat out the 2011 season before being hired by the Ravens in 2012. 

That is a small sample of what he can do. Remember when Bill Belichick coached the Browns? He was 36-44 in 5 seasons there. Not much to brag about, eh? But then he found New England. I'm not saying the same thing will happen with Martindale, but I just think the jury is still out on him. He wasn't a sexy pick, but let's give him at least a year under his belt to determine his grade as a DC.

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

They always have a ton of high draft picks 

Ha! But sooner or later they should pay off, no?

2 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

That is a small sample of what he can do. Remember when Bill Belichick coached the Browns? He was 36-44 in 5 seasons there. Not much to brag about, eh? But then he found New England. I'm not saying the same thing will happen with Martindale, but I just think the jury is still out on him. He wasn't a sexy pick, but let's give him at least a year under his belt to determine his grade as a DC.

As I said in a post above, he should be given a chance before being written off.  I was just providing the background for those who weren't aware that he was a DC before.  I wasn't aware of it myself until researching it.  Personally, I don't have a problem with them hiring from inside.  From his perspective it could be rough though.  He could end up just like he did in Denver, being a one year DC.  If the Ravens don't improve next year and make the playoffs, Harbuagh and his entire staff might be gone.  

1 minute ago, cprenegade said:

If the Ravens don't improve next year and make the playoffs, Harbuagh and his entire staff might be gone.  

Didn’t people here say that at the start of this season?

29 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Didn’t people here say that at the start of this season?

Well it was half right. 8-8 to 9-7. Maybe 10-6 this year ..???

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

No I mean a lot of people here said Harbaugh was gone if they didn’t make the playoffs.

Just now, bmore_ken said:

No I mean a lot of people here said Harbaugh was gone if they didn’t make the playoffs.

The owner didn't get the message .......

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

The owner didn't get the message .......

So it seems

I would have been happy to see Austin get the job here. Always felt like, during his time here, the secondary played better (especially the CBs) than their collection of talent at least on paper would have suggested.

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

It sounds like the Cowboys.

His defense was “horrific” during his one year in Denver, Heck Bronco fans are still talking about it 8 years later. Anyway forget more blitzing. The Ravens are in store for more zone and 3 man rushes. Harbaugh lives and dies by that outdated and ineffective scheme. 

3 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I can understand Pagano maybe not wanting to jump right back into coaching, but Austin, Fangio or Pettine could have been brought it. Harbaugh doesn't want to change or coaches know he will not them do what they want.

Come on Steve. You are making this up in your own mind.It's pure fantasy what you are saying. There is nobody in the world who wants to win more than Harbaugh. It is illogical to think otherwise. If there is another approach that gives this team a better chance to win, you can rest assured he is all for it.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I said it and still feel he should be .....

43 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Come on Steve. You are making this up in your own mind.It's pure fantasy what you are saying. There is nobody in the world who wants to win more than Harbaugh. It is illogical to think otherwise. If there is another approach that gives this team a better chance to win, you can rest assured he is all for it.

He want to win his way. The problem is John's way don't win.  

4 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I can understand Pagano maybe not wanting to jump right back into coaching, but Austin, Fangio or Pettine could have been brought it. Harbaugh doesn't want to change or coaches know he will not them do what they want.

It could also have been a situation where the new coach may have wanted to bring in some of his own guys, like Kubiak when he came here. 

I expect another 8-8 or perhaps worse season next year (the schedule contains tougher opponents). They don't have a particularly high round draft pick, and they usually trade *down*, as Ozzie likes a lot of picks rather than a few high ones. That means its reasonable to expect another draft much like the previous drafts - one, maybe two legitimate players, no game changes, and a handful of maybes.

Going to be a lot of fans dressed as empty seats next year, I predict.

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

It could also have been a situation where the new coach may have wanted to bring in some of his own guys, like Kubiak when he came here. 

Yep ....

27 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I expect another 8-8 or perhaps worse season next year (the schedule contains tougher opponents). They don't have a particularly high round draft pick, and they usually trade *down*, as Ozzie likes a lot of picks rather than a few high ones. That means its reasonable to expect another draft much like the previous drafts - one, maybe two legitimate players, no game changes, and a handful of maybes.

I see it that way also. By their pick the BPA could be a DT or LB. If they can't trade down that will be the pick. The game has changed but the coach still believes in his way. Run the ball and control the clock. It works but you still need a passing game to do it. The Steelers try to run the ball but have a passing game to go with it. NE is the same way.

Not an inspiring hire but it should still be an improvement on Pees and his late game defensive meltdowns.

Edited by Pickle20

It has the appearance of "guy who won't challenge Harbaugh or threaten his job".

7 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

And that browns team came here and in a few years.....

2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I agree....

Harder schedule, no significant changes ....

I see no reason for optimism.....

Lmao! Are you guys seriously complaining about no significant changes on the roster for next year? Do you guys realize how ridiculous that sounds? The Ravens are a week into the off season and you are complaining that they haven’t made any significant changes. That’s insane.

17 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Lmao! Are you guys seriously complaining about no significant changes on the roster for next year? Do you guys realize how ridiculous that sounds? The Ravens are a week into the off season and you are complaining that they haven’t made any significant changes. That’s insane.

With the hiring from within, it looks like the defensive philosophy will not change no matter what roster changes are made.

4 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

With the hiring from within, it looks like the defensive philosophy will not change no matter what roster changes are made.

That’s an opinion and I can understand that. I don’t agree but I can see why you would think that. This crap about no significant changes to the roster is really crazy. I mean legitimately crazy to think this way.