Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncbirdfan

"Wink" is Baltimore's new DC

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

That’s an opinion and I can understand that. I don’t agree but I can see why you would think that. This crap about no significant changes to the roster is really crazy. I mean legitimately crazy to think this way.

In general, I lack confidence in Harbaugh. He's a .500 coach in a league where .500 doesn't usually buy you much. So I am prepared for the decisions he makes to be poor ones. But I agree it is far too soon to discuss the draft, or free agents. Which brings me to Ozzie. I think maybe Ozzie got really lucky three times (Ogden, Lewis, Reed), and all those were defensive guys. Three times for that kind of luck is a lot. I need to see a really good draft from him to restore my confidence in his ability, but he's got mediocre draft picks to work with, and you usually don't find game changers that low. And they desperately need a game changer. So he'll need to get lucky a fourth time for the Ravens to do well in '18.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

In general, I lack confidence in Harbaugh. He's a .500 coach in a league where .500 doesn't usually buy you much. So I am prepared for the decisions he makes to be poor ones. But I agree it is far too soon to discuss the draft, or free agents. Which brings me to Ozzie. I think maybe Ozzie got really lucky three times (Ogden, Lewis, Reed), and all those were defensive guys. Three times for that kind of luck is a lot. I need to see a really good draft from him to restore my confidence in his ability, but he's got mediocre draft picks to work with, and you usually don't find game changers that low. And they desperately need a game changer. So he'll need to get lucky a fourth time for the Ravens to do well in '18.

Respectfully, do a little bit of research on the draft. You find game changers all throughout the draft and even game changers on undrafted free agents. I’m not talking about exceptions to the rule. I’m talking plenty of game changers throughout the draft and especially the first three rounds. To follow everyone’s lead on here and say the Ravens pick too low in the first round to find a great player is a mistake. Sit back and think about it for a moment. Don’t just go with the flow here. 

18 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Ogden was an offensive lineman.  I think you are also being quite draconian and leaving out a lot of doubles, triples and home runs from the draft. He drafted Ed Reed (future HoF), Dennis Pitta, Haloti Ngata (future HoF), Marshall Yanda (future HoF) , Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Jimmy Smith, Terrell Suggs (future HoF), Brandon Williams and Todd Heap to name a few.  There was a lot of homegrown talent on that team that went to the playoffs 6 out of 7 years and  won a Super Bowl during that run.  He had a lot more hits than whiffs, and that set a really high bar in terms of fan expectations.  Then came a slew of first pick misses Kindle (not his fault), Elam and Perriman. Where we have also been really whiffing is in 2-4 over the last few recent years.  For example, after watching USC and Penn State in the Rose Bowl I though JuJu jumped off the screen.  He was there for the taking and we chose Kafusi.  After the Steelers took him later in the round, I had a sinking feeling he was going to haunt us for years to come.

However, I think recently that Mosely, Stanley and Humphrey are in that extra base hit category with first picks.  I'm hoping some these recent 2-4 round picks can flip the switch and start making impactful contributions soon (Maxx Williams, Wormley, Kafusi, Tim Williams et.al)

Edited by RestonRaven

There was an interesting piece by Mike Preston discussing the Ravens' defensive coordinator position and how its luster has perhaps faded somewhat.

John Harbaugh's job status aside, maybe the DC job isn't as attractive to outside candidates simply because the marquee players aren't there anymore. Landing the Ravens' gig at one time was an almost automatic ticket to an eventual  head coaching job, as guys like Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Mike Nolan and Chuck Pagano demonstrated. Other former Raven assistants who landed head jobs were Jack Del Rio and Mike Smith. The escalator was always heading upward with the Ravens in that respect.

Now, perhaps not so much. The Ravens simply don't have the game-wreckers on defense anymore, at least not the types who would make an aspiring assistant coach covet the Ravens' defensive coordinator position. Maybe Martindale got the job at least due in part to the Ravens not having many other alternatives. 

Link

Edited by mdrunning

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

There was an interesting piece by Mike Preston discussing the Ravens' defensive coordinator position and how its luster has perhaps faded somewhat.

John Harbaugh's job status aside, maybe the DC job isn't as attractive to outside candidates simply because the marquee players aren't there anymore. Landing the Ravens' gig at one time was an almost automatic ticket to an eventual  head coaching job, as guys like Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Mike Nolan and Chuck Pagano demonstrated. Other former Raven assistants who landed head jobs were Jack Del Rio and Mike Smith. The escalator was always heading upward with the Ravens in that respect.

Now, perhaps not so much. The Ravens simply don't have the game-wreckers on defense anymore, at least not the types who would make an aspiring assistant coach covet the Ravens' defensive coordinator position. Maybe Martindale got the job at least due in part to the Ravens not having many other alternatives. 

Link

That was a good article.....

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Link

That's the thing I'm talking about on here a lot. A lot of people will complain about how bad a coach is just by the results. If a coach does not have much to play with then does that make him a bad coach? It seems a lot of people scream out loud this very thing. Even on the opposite side of that. If a team is stacked on defense and gets great results, is that coach simply a great defensive coordinator? I don't know who Wink had on his defense in Denver for just that one year but if he didn't have anybody, why are so many people shouting how bad he is as a defensive coordinator? I mean, I can point out how bad Tony Dungy is as a defensive coach. He was absolutely terrible in Indianapolis for all those years. Maybe results don't always dictate how bad a coach actually is.

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Link

They drafted on defense for 2 seasons but then don't play them. Is it being safe to play the vets and not risk playing the young players.?? Judon made some plays as a rookie and got more playing time this year. Some of the tackles got to play this year when Williams missed a month and surprised. But then Williams came back and they got pushed back to the bench. The Eagles rotated their line and it played better.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:56 PM, stevez51 said:

Nuts .....

I saw it on RSR. I may sell my tickets now. It will only get worse.

Come on man you can't give up on them no matter good or bad. Remember that attitude is how we lost the first team. 

56 minutes ago, WhatintheHell said:

Come on man you can't give up on them no matter good or bad. Remember that attitude is how we lost the first team. 

I have 22 yrs of $$$ invested in this team. Something needs to change.

6 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

There's always Cleveland.

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

There's always Cleveland.

LOL ..........

Just some pics of wink on the sun sport site .....

Is he rocking a mullett? .....

Where's he think he is, pittsburg? .....

32 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Yes losing is frustrating. I say give this Wink guy and Harbaugh a chance. If they stink this year clean house then. 

On the Ozzie got lucky front, I can't quite buy that. 22 seasons, a lot of good draft picks, some future HOFers, a lot of playoff appearances and 2 Superbowl rings. I don't know that it's fair to say the positives were luck and the negatives are his fault.

I think the last 3 seasons have been largely an issue of an offensive scheme not suited to the personnel, and limiting what they could have accomplished in the process. Can debate that all day long, but that's just what my eyes see. Even so, I think there's something to be said for building a franchise where a short run of .500 where you're in the playoff picture in week 16 or 17 every year but one, and that becoming fodder for folks wanting to replace the GM, says something for the bar that Ozzie has set for the organization.

31 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

On the Ozzie got lucky front, I can't quite buy that. 22 seasons, a lot of good draft picks, some future HOFers, a lot of playoff appearances and 2 Superbowl rings. I don't know that it's fair to say the positives were luck and the negatives are his fault.

I think the last 3 seasons have been largely an issue of an offensive scheme not suited to the personnel, and limiting what they could have accomplished in the process. Can debate that all day long, but that's just what my eyes see. Even so, I think there's something to be said for building a franchise where a short run of .500 where you're in the playoff picture in week 16 or 17 every year but one, and that becoming fodder for folks wanting to replace the GM, says something for the bar that Ozzie has set for the organization.

The players are drafted to fill needs. But then the coaching staff doesn't use them to their strengths. Harbaugh has his system he wants to use not trying to adapt to the players strengths. They draft DE/OLB types then try them out in other positions or keep them on the bench. You bring in a FA SS and make him play FS.

Harbaugh's way of playing when out years ago. Should we waste another season staying the same.??

Edited by stevez51