Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

How can you say black athletes are disrespecting the flag by kneeling during the anthem yet you don't know the words?

123 posts in this topic

Best ever is Carl Lewis.

Edited by RileyMartin

Did the black athletes who knelt for the US anthem and then stood for God Save the Queen know the words to that?  Hell I would probably screw up the words to the anthem, or the pledge for that matter.  I haven't been hired to sing or recite those words for a while.  But I have the basic decency to stand when someone else sings or recites the words.  

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

Did the black athletes who knelt for the US anthem and then stood for God Save the Queen know the words to that?  Hell I would probably screw up the words to the anthem, or the pledge for that matter.  I haven't been hired to sing or recite those words for a while.  But I have the basic decency to stand when someone else sings or recites the words.  

Did those athletes condemn "God Save the Queen"?

Apples and Oranges.

3 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Did those athletes condemn "God Save the Queen"?

Apples and Oranges.

It was the Queen who imported their ancestors as chattel.  It was a president who liberated them, made them citizens, and gave them the right to vote.  

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It was never about the flag.

No, it was about the whole damn country that gave them the opportunity to become fabulously wealthy.  The flag is just a symbol of that country.  So when you say it is not about the flag, you point out that the protest is a much greater affront than were it about a piece of cloth.  

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

No, it was about the whole damn country that gave them the opportunity to become fabulously wealthy.   

BS. It was about police brutality towards blacks. Not about the country, not about the flag, not about veterans. Cut the crap.

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

BS. It was about police brutality towards blacks. Not about the country, not about the flag, not about veterans. Cut the crap.

I forget who the activist was that said there should be no police in the inner cities.  Perhaps you agree that they should never patrol or enter your neighborhood again?

10 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

It has nothing to do with respecting the flag. It is about exploiting a divide in the American people to elevate himself.

Just now, jdsample said:

I forget who the activist was that said there should be no police in the inner cities.  Perhaps you agree that they should never patrol or enter your neighborhood again?

Stop being ridiculous. Why is it hard for some officers to do their job professionally when it comes to black people. Is it really that hard not to choke people out or shoot little kids? 

27 minutes ago, jdsample said:

It was the Queen who imported their ancestors as chattel.  It was a president who liberated them, made them citizens, and gave them the right to vote.  

A president also enslaved those same ancestors and their children, said they were 3/5th of a person, and codified them into 2nd class citizenship for the next several hundred fifty - 200 years or so. So much so that their descendants still feel the need to protest today.

Edited by Marshan Man

I think it's great, NFL players actions have resulted in half empty stadiums.

1 minute ago, Boobie said:

I think it's great, NFL players actions have resulted in half empty stadiums.

So has a sorry season of football. 

college football is still going gangbusters, it's not the game dragging the NFL down, it's the players.

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Stop being ridiculous. Why is it hard for some officers to do their job professionally when it comes to black people. Is it really that hard not to choke people out or shoot little kids? 

I am with you on that.  But that is a local matter, not a Federal policy, so protesting the country and its anthem and flag seems misguided.  Maybe they should refuse to play in places where that happens?  They could protest the Charlottesville flag or the St. Louis flag, or the Chicago or Baltimore flags?  Then I might tend to take a knee with them.  But my protest would not be so  much the police brutality, as the lack of police protection for people in the inner cities.  While police brutality is a serious problem, it pales in comparison with the fratricide going on in those cities.  But that makes serving and protecting those areas a dangerous job and police are understandably on guard.  But by all means we should rid those departments of bad or violent cops and prosecute them.  At the same time we need to be careful not to form a lynch mob that hangs a guy for going into a combat zone to protect residents and makes an honest error in judgement.  

In the meantime, I support the players' right to protest anything they want, I support the owners' right to fire them, and I support my right to turn off the game and watch NCIS reruns.  

44 minutes ago, jdsample said:

No, it was about the whole damn country that gave them the opportunity to become fabulously wealthy.  The flag is just a symbol of that country.  So when you say it is not about the flag, you point out that the protest is a much greater affront than were it about a piece of cloth.  

Gee thanks America for allowing these black athletes the GOD given right to work hard at their craft so that they could become rich so that they and their UNARMED family members could be shot by police officers because they are black.

5 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Gee thanks America for allowing these black athletes the GOD given right to work hard at their craft so that they could become rich so that they and their UNARMED family members could be shot by police officers because they are black.

You shouldn't feel bad about being black on a message board all day

19 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I am with you on that.  But that is a local matter, not a Federal policy, so protesting the country and its anthem and flag seems misguided.  Maybe they should refuse to play in places where that happens?  They could protest the Charlottesville flag or the St. Louis flag, or the Chicago or Baltimore flags?  Then I might tend to take a knee with them.  But my protest would not be so  much the police brutality, as the lack of police protection for people in the inner cities.  While police brutality is a serious problem, it pales in comparison with the fratricide going on in those cities.  But that makes serving and protecting those areas a dangerous job and police are understandably on guard.  But by all means we should rid those departments of bad or violent cops and prosecute them.  At the same time we need to be careful not to form a lynch mob that hangs a guy for going into a combat zone to protect residents and makes an honest error in judgement.  

In the meantime, I support the players' right to protest anything they want, I support the owners' right to fire them, and I support my right to turn off the game and watch NCIS reruns.  

The lynchings in the south were local matters as well.

24 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

A president also enslaved those same ancestors and their children, said they were 3/5th of a person, and codified them into 2nd class citizenship for the next several hundred fifty - 200 years or so. So much so that their descendants still feel the need to protest today.

The president didn't do that, he inherited the Queen's (or Kings) system.  I'm not trying to justify it.  It is impossible to comprehend given today's standard.  But Jefferson put the subversive language into the Constitution that said all men are created equal and are endowed with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and then later referred to slaves as men.  That was a ticking Constitutional time bomb.  Was he a hypocrite?  Yes.  But he sowed the seeds to ending slavery.  

As for the 3/5th of a person, that sounds awful on the surface.  In truth that actually limited the power of the Southern states.  Obviously slaves were not entitled to vote, but electoral college votes and representatives in Congress were apportioned by population which included 3/5ths of the slaves.  That essentially gave the slave holding states' white residents more voting power per voter than the Northern states' voters.  Arguably, the nation might have made more rapid progress if they agreed to count slaves as 1/5 of a person, or not a person at all.  That would have given the North electoral dominance.  On the other hand, had slaves counted as 5/5ths, that would have magnified the voting power of the Southern states even more.  Perhaps there would never have been a Lincoln presidency?  

22 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I am with you on that.  But that is a local matter, not a Federal policy, so protesting the country and its anthem and flag seems misguided. 

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. The point of the protests is that it’s a nationwide problem. As offended as you seem to be about the protests, there are many families that are just as  offended that a family member was killed unjustifiably. 

22 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

I don't know how it has gone for the Ravens over the years but the only murder of a Bronco has been when he was shot by a black gang banger.  You might recall the name of Darrent Williams.  

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

The Queen was born in 1926.  Maybe you should say the Crown.

12 minutes ago, jdsample said:

The president didn't do that, he inherited the Queen's (or Kings) system.  I'm not trying to justify it.  It is impossible to comprehend given today's standard.  But Jefferson put the subversive language into the Constitution that said all men are created equal and are endowed with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and then later referred to slaves as men.  That was a ticking Constitutional time bomb.  Was he a hypocrite?  Yes.  But he sowed the seeds to ending slavery.  

As for the 3/5th of a person, that sounds awful on the surface.  In truth that actually limited the power of the Southern states.  Obviously slaves were not entitled to vote, but electoral college votes and representatives in Congress were apportioned by population which included 3/5ths of the slaves.  That essentially gave the slave holding states' white residents more voting power per voter than the Northern states' voters.  Arguably, the nation might have made more rapid progress if they agreed to count slaves as 1/5 of a person, or not a person at all.  That would have given the North electoral dominance.  On the other hand, had slaves counted as 5/5ths, that would have magnified the voting power of the Southern states even more.  Perhaps there would never have been a Lincoln presidency?  

Yes, I'm aware of that the point is. America didn't create a new law prohibiting slavery. Cultures and societies "inherit" what they like and want to keep. There were plenty of presidents in the interim.