Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

How can you say black athletes are disrespecting the flag by kneeling during the anthem yet you don't know the words?

123 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jdsample said:

Yes, and the vast majority of victims were white.  Lynching a valuable slave made about as much sense as the hanging a horse scene in Blazing Saddles.  But white people were quite sanguine about killing each other over perceived slights.  

Whites we're lynched for committing crimes. Blacks were lynched for being black. No comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

I see... so the country "gave them the opportunity" huh?  They didn't put in any of the work themselves or anything so they should just shut up and be grateful that the country just handed them all that money... is that it? :rolleyes:

Funny how they do that eh? Give us stuff because we are all on welfare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, workerbee said:

Yes we have.  Even with the move backward over the last decade or so.  We still have a ways to go once back on track.

 

Jeeebus.

SMDH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

I see... so the country "gave them the opportunity" huh?  They didn't put in any of the work themselves or anything so they should just shut up and be grateful that the country just handed them all that money... is that it? :rolleyes:

It is called liberty.  They have a dearth of it in NK.  

But I take your point.  The right to liberty is a God-given right.  It can't be granted by a country, but it can be taken away by a despot.  Fortunately we don't have despots in this country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

Funny how they do that eh? Give us stuff because we are all on welfare. 

Interesting. Never hear about how overpaid white pro athletes don't "appreciate" their fortune, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Did it give "them" any more opportunity than it gave anyone else? Don't think so. They happened to take great advantage of that, with a combination of skill and hard work. Why resent that?

And do they have any less right to protest, peacefully, than anyone else?

Sorry. I root for the Steelers, a team led by someone who is fairly likely to have been a sexual predator.  Tell me what teams you root for. Fairly confident I can find someone on those teams who is less admirable than someone who takes a knee.

I do not resent it at all.  I am sorry if I gave you that impression.  I applaud it. 

They have no less right to protest.  But I have a right to criticize the way they do it.  It is not Federal police that have committed acts of brutality.  So don't protest the country, protest the city.  I suggested earlier that they could establish a charitable foundation for victims and go on a talk show blitz and probably most police officers would join.  Better yet make the movement Black and Blue Lives Matter.  Then everyone would join. That kind of foundation could bring inner city people and police together.   Instead they just piss people off because they are fabulously wealthy and protesting against all of us.  Sorry, but I am offended when people show disrespect for the country, the flag, or the anthem.  There is no such thing as public or government religion but I regard that few minutes when they sing the anthem as a sacred moment when we set aside differences and join together regardless of whether we are socialists or libertarians, or white or black or Mexican or Asian or somewhere in between.  After that we can fight like cats and dogs in the press, in Congress, on bar stools, but we need that one moment where we remind ourselves of the foundation that unites us despite our differences.  I don't see what is left if we take an axe to that moment.  Don't the left and right literally become enemies?  

I root for the Broncos, Steelers, & Packers.  I guess the Steelers are the last man standing of those teams.  I'm sure there is a reprobate in one of those teams somewhere.  But it isn't Shannon Sharpe, though he is retired.  He is my hero. But I mean Elway divorced his wife and married an Oakland Raiders cheerleader.  You can't get much lower than that.  LOL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I do not resent it at all.  I am sorry if I gave you that impression.  I applaud it. 

They have no less right to protest.  But I have a right to criticize the way they do it.  It is not Federal police that have committed acts of brutality.  So don't protest the country, protest the city.  I suggested earlier that they could establish a charitable foundation for victims and go on a talk show blitz and probably most police officers would join.  Better yet make the movement Black and Blue Lives Matter.  Then everyone would join. That kind of foundation could bring inner city people and police together.   Instead they just piss people off because they are fabulously wealthy and protesting against all of us.  Sorry, but I am offended when people show disrespect for the country, the flag, or the anthem.  There is no such thing as public or government religion but I regard that few minutes when they sing the anthem as a sacred moment when we set aside differences and join together regardless of whether we are socialists or libertarians, or white or black or Mexican or Asian or somewhere in between.  After that we can fight like cats and dogs in the press, in Congress, on bar stools, but we need that one moment where we remind ourselves of the foundation that unites us despite our differences.  I don't see what is left if we take an axe to that moment.  Don't the left and right literally become enemies?  

I root for the Broncos, Steelers, & Packers.  I guess the Steelers are the last man standing of those teams.  I'm sure there is a reprobate in one of those teams somewhere.  But it isn't Shannon Sharpe, though he is retired.  He is my hero. But I mean Elway divorced his wife and married an Oakland Raiders cheerleader.  You can't get much lower than that.  LOL.  

Sorry friend, I disagree. First, when did the anthem being played at sports events become so sacred? You mean the anthem at which the next to last stanza half the fans start screaming for their team?

Re athletes: hells bells. How many times was Montana married? Four? Don't get me started on Jim Brown, greatest RB ever.

More importantly, I am nervous about the Steelers. They should crush J. That QB is not even middling. Should not be looking forward to NE, but can't help myself.

Comes down to can Steelers offense and Ben out gun Brady? On paper, yes. If Brown is on, looks good. He's a freak, so good! But Steelers secondary, questionable. What gives me hope is they gave NE a great game in Dec, even with Brown out most of the game.

Were I a betting girl, thinking the Saints. Where are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Sorry friend, I disagree. First, when did the anthem being played at sports events become so sacred? You mean the anthem at which the next to last stanza half the fans start screaming for their team?

Re athletes: hells bells. How many times was Montana married? Four? Don't get me started on Jim Brown, greatest RB ever.

More importantly, I am nervous about the Steelers. They should crush J. That QB is not even middling. Should not be looking forward to NE, but can't help myself.

Comes down to can Steelers offense and Ben out gun Brady? On paper, yes. If Brown is on, looks good. He's a freak, so good! But Steelers secondary, questionable. What gives me hope is they gave NE a great game in Dec, even with Brown out most of the game.

Were I a betting girl, thinking the Saints. Where are you?

Actually liking Minnesota.  I think the Saints will give them all they can handle, but Minnesota has the benefit of being home with a week off.  And after that they either get Atlanta on it's third straight road game, or an Eagles team with Nick Foles at QB.  I have to like Minnesota to come out of the NFC.  AFC comes down to Pittsburgh/New England again.  New England gets the game up in Foxborough thanks to a replay decision.   But I've seen plenty of NFL history and eventually a team that can't get over the hump against another usually does.  Tough to beat NE up there, but this may be Pittsburgh's best chance.  Not having Shazier really hurts, but Haden is back and that might help slow down Gronkowski who kills them.  But it really is all on Roethlisberger.  He has to play up to the level he does at home.  New England's defense isn't all that great this year either.  They mask their deficiencies but they can be beaten in both the running game and through the air.  Just can't afford turnovers up there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Have you ever met a Yale grad? Somehow I doubt it. 

Several...not very impressive.  Legends in their own minds....like you.

Know any Penn grads?  

Edited by RileyMartin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Actually liking Minnesota.  I think the Saints will give them all they can handle, but Minnesota has the benefit of being home with a week off.  And after that they either get Atlanta on it's third straight road game, or an Eagles team with Nick Foles at QB.  I have to like Minnesota to come out of the NFC.  AFC comes down to Pittsburgh/New England again.  New England gets the game up in Foxborough thanks to a replay decision.   But I've seen plenty of NFL history and eventually a team that can't get over the hump against another usually does.  Tough to beat NE up there, but this may be Pittsburgh's best chance.  Not having Shazier really hurts, but Haden is back and that might help slow down Gronkowski who kills them.  But it really is all on Roethlisberger.  He has to play up to the level he does at home.  New England's defense isn't all that great this year either.  They mask their deficiencies but they can be beaten in both the running game and through the air.  Just can't afford turnovers up there.  

Yeah my boys all go with the Vikings. And I'm probably too quick to overlook the Jags. Does seem like one of those years where no one team is a clear favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Several...not very impressive.  Legends in their own minds....like you.

Know any Penn grads?  

To quote Ralph Wiggum, I are one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

To quote Ralph Wiggum, I are one.

You are a very stable genius? To quote Nelson Muntz, ha ha!

Did you and the Donald ever hook up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like as usual the libs only like protests they approve of.

 

Hypocrisy exposed again......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

You are a very stable genius? To quote Nelson Muntz, ha ha!

Did you and the Donald ever hook up?

No. I'm younger than Trump.

I am stable so that's one better than Donnie.

Edited by ms maggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ms maggie said:

No. I'm younger than Trump.

I am stable so that's one better than Donnie.

Are you orange?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Are you orange?

Black and gold baby. (Oh you walked into that one friend!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Sorry friend, I disagree. First, when did the anthem being played at sports events become so sacred? You mean the anthem at which the next to last stanza half the fans start screaming for their team?

Re athletes: hells bells. How many times was Montana married? Four? Don't get me started on Jim Brown, greatest RB ever.

More importantly, I am nervous about the Steelers. They should crush J. That QB is not even middling. Should not be looking forward to NE, but can't help myself.

Comes down to can Steelers offense and Ben out gun Brady? On paper, yes. If Brown is on, looks good. He's a freak, so good! But Steelers secondary, questionable. What gives me hope is they gave NE a great game in Dec, even with Brown out most of the game.

Were I a betting girl, thinking the Saints. Where are you?

We will agree to disagree.  Of course the anthem is not literally sacred.  The pope would probably ignore it while buying a Franco Harris jersey. (What other jersey would he wear than the author of the Immaculate Reception?) But the anthem means a heck of a lot to me that before the game begins there is a moment when you nod and smile at a misguided Raider fan, Charger fan, or Chiefs fan.  When that moment of unity is over, then we can begin the taunting and argue politics if so inclined.  We can even pour beer on each other.  Spent too many mornings in uniform saluting the flag at 8 AM surrounded by reminders of dead sailors that went before me.  IIRC your husband also served. But those moments give you time to think about what it means.  And police brutality is not it.  

Athletes are so well paid that they get away with a lot of crap.  Like all rich people.  But they also have opportunities to do a lot of good and some do.  This morning news they interviewed an Air Force grad who played for the Broncos and now plays for the Falcons and was nominated for NFL Man of the Year.  

For the last 10 years or so, I have always looked ahead to the Pats.  Who can knock them out?  A couple years ago, the Broncos did, but this year I hope the Steelers do.  I wish we could loan you the "No Fly Zone."  Our DBs.  Maybe Von Miller too.  And my favorite current Bronco that we stole from you, Emanuel Sanders.  Thomas gets the press, but I like Sanders better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Interesting. Never hear about how overpaid white pro athletes don't "appreciate" their fortune, do you?

Yes quite interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RileyMartin said:

Are you orange?

 

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

Black and gold baby. (Oh you walked into that one friend!)

LMAO!!!!! Zing!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those kneeling and their silly cheerleaders fail to realize the counter-productive nature of their antics. This assumes they aren’t purposely trying to sabatoge football. I doubt the players would knowingly harm themselves but they are naive about those egging them on in the background. Many of those people have a more sinister agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Manny said:

Those kneeling and their silly cheerleaders fail to realize the counter-productive nature of their antics. This assumes they aren’t purposely trying to sabatoge football. I doubt the players would knowingly harm themselves but they are naive about those egging them on in the background. Many of those people have a more sinister agenda.

Not counter-productive. It has taught us how deep-seated the hatred of non whites is in this country.

It helps us to plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Whites we're lynched for committing crimes. Blacks were lynched for being black. No comparison.

Actually, lynching is a crime.  The stats I posted from Tuskegee were of criminal cases prosecuted in court.  Many whites were lynched for personal affronts to other whites.  Or they were stabbed to death.  Or shot.  The whites that populated the South were in many ways savages.  They were from the border region of Scotland and had fought England for generations.  They were born with a chip on their shoulder, and an instinct to fight at the drop of a hat.  Thomas Sowell argues that some of black culture adopted that attitude since they were basically owned by savages and that attitudes change very slowly from generation to generation.  James Webb in Born Fighting points out these same people have been some of our great military leaders.  They still loved a fight.  From Grant to Patton.  

I have to confess I am descended from those savages.  But my ancestor landed up North and seized on the opportunity to rebel against the Brits.  I suspect that the reward for these savage Scots-Irish was a land grant far from civilization just to get those uncivilized louts the hell out of Boston and Philly.  LOL  So my ancestors all were in the wilderness of Western PA and wore the blue during the Civil War.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

Not counter-productive. It has taught us how deep-seated the hatred of non whites is in this country.

It helps us to plan.

It’s turning scores of people off to the NFL.  It’s not a platform for social justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

Not counter-productive. It has taught us how deep-seated the hatred of non whites is in this country.

It helps us to plan.

Who is "us" and what are you planning.  :lol:

Edited by Smokey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I get a kick out of is Libs I know asking me if I was still going to games .......when I say no they go bonkers......

 

Why????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0