Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore Mayor Pugh hires 'Voice' singer Davon Fleming to consulting job

47 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-davon-fleming-job-20180110-story.html#nt=oft06a-2li2

Baltimore officials on Wednesday hired singer Davon Fleming — a city native who rose to fame on the NBC show “The Voice” — to a one-year consulting contract and officially named him grand marshal of this year’s Martin Luther King Day parade.

The Board of Estimates, which is controlled by Mayor Catherine Pugh, approved the consulting contract with Fleming, who will be paid up to $65,000 this year to “develop the operation of a program for City youth that focuses on the performing arts and community enrichment.”

After the board vote, Pugh announced Fleming as the grand marshal of Monday’s long-running parade.

This demonstrates the city's spending priorities when it's constantly asking for more money for students and everything else, creating consulting jobs like this.

I'm sure that this was a vital position that no one already in a city position couldn't possibly do.  

He must have a lot of previous experience developing programs like this, meaning that Pugh would have hired him even if he hadn't been on The Voice. 

Edited by Ode2Joy

Couldn’t she just stop at the Grand Marshal title? :rolleyes:

As I Maryland tax payer....that doesn't live in the city....could someone please tell me what form to fill out ....so that I may recoup my tax dollars that continue to be pxssed away in the city?

Thanks!

I have a different opinion on this.

That kid was the most positive thing coming out of Baltimore for a long time for kids with the same background and from the same environment. No doubt he was and will be a huge inspiration for kids that relate to him.

If he can get city kids away from that horrific environment just for a short time and give them hope that they are not doomed and can possibly reach their dreams then it's more than worth the measly 65k.

Which by the way is a pin drop in a bucket for a city budget.

12 hours ago, Guido2 said:

As I Maryland tax payer....that doesn't live in the city....could someone please tell me what form to fill out ....so that I may recoup my tax dollars that continue to be pxssed away in the city?

Thanks!

You would think that you are the only one paying taxes in Maryland.  Save the drama, you have no idea what this young mans past is or what kind of experience he has.  This is something  positive for the youth of Baltimore.  Some people just love to whine about everything.  SMDH

31 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That kid was the most positive thing coming out of Baltimore for a long time for kids with the same background and from the same environment. No doubt he was and will be a huge inspiration for kids that relate to him.

If he can get city kids away from that horrific environment just for a short time and give them hope that they are not doomed and can possibly reach their dreams then it's more than worth the measly 65k.

How about getting a city investor to pick up the 65K. A city contract down the road would be the trade off.

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

How about getting a city investor to pick up the 65K. A city contract down the road would be the trade off.

Whatever works. But if they gave this 65k to Joe or Joann blow we wouldn't even know about it and IMO it's no big deal. 

30 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Yeah, especially when they start a GoFundMe page to raise money for small portable heaters for classrooms for some of those city schools.  They don't have money for that but they have money to hire a consultant for $65,000 to start a program of some kind.  Seems like an admission that there is nobody on the city school's payroll or any of the other city programs for youth that is capable of setting up programs.

Even Nick Mosby didn't charge money to bring local rappers to the city schools as positive role models for students to emulate. 

43 minutes ago, bogart said:

You would think that you are the only one paying taxes in Maryland.  Save the drama, you have no idea what this young mans past is or what kind of experience he has.  This is something  positive for the youth of Baltimore.  Some people just love to whine about everything.  SMDH

I know that I am not the only MD taxpayer....there are many....but it 'seems' they are all outside the city percentage wise. ;)

Ok....now that I finally was able to read what he was hired for you maybe correct.

Lets see...per the paper...." develop the operation of a programs for City youth that focuses on the performing arts and community enrichment".

Yes you are right....just what the black community needs....more singers... not more mathematicians or scientists or teachers.....yes yes....more singers ....more actors.....

Look don't get me wrong....the arts are a wonderful thing...and some can make a decent living at it. I am married to a former stage actress who performed right here in MD....specifically Baltimore. But like many....she was a 'starving' actress and realized she had to get a real job.

There are many starving singers and actors....I think there are few starving mathematicians.

But ....if your goooberment thinks this is the way to go....hey....who am I to argue. Just send me my money back so I can contribute it to Woodlawn High's math department for tutors.

JMTs

I'm not reading all of that, always so much to say about nothing.  I would rather have singers than drug dealers and thugs any day.

Edited by bogart

People may argue about the amount of the mans salary, but as previously discussed on this board about the problems of Baltimore city, the cities most recent black eyes stems from the outrageous level of gun violence and the broken and dysfunctional families that contribute to it. Paying someone to be both a symbol and work on alleviating the broken families is a small down payment on making the city better. The city may not need 100 people like Davon on the payroll, but one could help, and certainly won't hurt. 

Lots of micromanagers on here who all like to see where the symbolic pennies go and ignore the million dollar deficits. 

15 minutes ago, bogart said:

I'm not reading all of that, always so much to say about nothing.  I would rather have singers than drug dealers and thugs any day.

So you didn't read it....but you say it is nothing. smh.

Yes....I too would rather have singers than drug dealers.....however...since you didn't feel you should take the time to read what I said you didn't get the thought that ....to put it another way.....that the 65000 to have tutors for math science etc would likely be able to help lead students to jobs that most people make a decent living at.

But that is me. I like real jobs. Ones with long term futures and multiple opportunities.

Edited by Guido2

5 hours ago, jonsensback said:

I agree with you. I watched Davon's initial interview. Very moving, especially coming from the Park Heights section of Baltimore. He really has an uplifting voice. I wish him well in his endeavors. 

4 hours ago, Guido2 said:

So you didn't read it....but you say it is nothing. smh.

Yes....I too would rather have singers than drug dealers.....however...since you didn't feel you should take the time to read what I said you didn't get the thought that ....to put it another way.....that the 65000 to have tutors for math science etc would likely be able to help lead students to jobs that most people make a decent living at.

But that is me. I like real jobs. Ones with long term futures and multiple opportunities.

How on earth do you tie this with job training?

I see it has a chance for kids to get away from the crap they live in and have something positive in their lives.

I would gladly pay .0003 cents extra a year on my taxes for such a program.:rolleyes:

Edited by jonsensback

As a Maryland tax payer who just happens to work and live in Baltimore City

4 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I know that I am not the only MD taxpayer....there are many....but it 'seems' they are all outside the city percentage wise. ;)

As a Maryland taxpayer who just happens to live and work in Baltimore City contrary to some people’s opinion, I tend to side with jonsensback.

I see this as a positive, if Davon inspires one person to follow their dreams and not a life of crime I say it was money well spent.

5 minutes ago, downunder said:

As a Maryland tax payer who just happens to work and live in Baltimore City

As a Maryland taxpayer who just happens to live and work in Baltimore City contrary to some people’s opinion, I tend to side with jonsensback.

I see this as a positive, if Davon inspires one person to follow their dreams and not a life of crime I say it was money well spent.

Pretty much a no brainer one would think.

5 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Ok....now that I finally was able to read what he was hired for you maybe correct.

Lets see...per the paper...." develop the operation of a programs for City youth that focuses on the performing arts and community enrichment".

Yes you are right....just what the black community needs....more singers... not more mathematicians or scientists or teachers.....yes yes....more singers ....more actors.....

Look don't get me wrong....the arts are a wonderful thing...and some can make a decent living at it. I am married to a former stage actress who performed right here in MD....specifically Baltimore. But like many....she was a 'starving' actress and realized she had to get a real job.

There are many starving singers and actors....I think there are few starving mathematicians.

But ....if your goooberment thinks this is the way to go....hey....who am I to argue. Just send me my money back so I can contribute it to Woodlawn High's math department for tutors.

JMTs

What a bunch of hogwash. I live in the city and pay taxes like A LOT of other city residents.  Your ignorance is astounding.

35 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Pretty much a no brainer one would think.

You forget who you are talking to.

Is this just like the job created for McKesson last year ..??

When he left, did the position go away or did they find a replacement ..??

3 hours ago, bogart said:

You forget who you are talking to.

Hey, your crime thread disappeared again .......

6 hours ago, bogart said:

What a bunch of hogwash. I live in the city and pay taxes like A LOT of other city residents.  Your ignorance is astounding.

Percentage wise you lose fool.

Look gang.....I the city wants to pxss away money on some second rate singer to run another stupid feel good thing....fine.

Just don't have the city whine about not having money for ahhhhhhh important things like boilers.

I dunno....to me it is sort of like someone that doesn't have enough money to pay the electric bill....yet has money to go out and buy a t-bone.

But what the hey.....

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Look gang.....I the city wants to pxss away money on some second rate singer to run another stupid feel good thing....fine.

Just don't have the city whine about not having money for ahhhhhhh important things like boilers.

I dunno....to me it is sort of like someone that doesn't have enough money to pay the electric bill....yet has money to go out and buy a t-bone.

But what the hey.....

It’s $65,000 over a year. It’s not a million, or even a half a mil. Maybe this guy will earn his keep...maybe more than some other $100,000 paper pusher at NA.  Who knows. 

Let it go. 

17 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

It’s $65,000 over a year. It’s not a million, or even a half a mil. Maybe this guy will earn his keep...maybe more than some other $100,000 paper pusher at NA.  Who knows. 

Let it go. 

A penny saved is a penny earned-Ben.

Drop the mike.