Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore Mayor Pugh hires 'Voice' singer Davon Fleming to consulting job

47 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

A penny saved is a penny earned-Ben.

Drop the mike.

A penny was worth a whole lot more in Ben’s time. 

12 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

A penny was worth a whole lot more in Ben’s time. 

Yes but even today 6,500,000 pennies isn't chump change. And IMHO could have been put to better use. Like hiring one more school maintenace supervisor to nurse the given schools boiler.

Singing is great....heating and cooling is better. IMHO.

But silly me I am practical.

Wonder if the supporters here would feel the same way if the kid was from Garrett County.

1 hour ago, Boobie said:

Wonder if the supporters here would feel the same way if the kid was from Garrett County.

Likely if he was from Garrett county we wouldn't be having this discussion because he wouldn't be grand marshall or picking up a paycheck

1 hour ago, Boobie said:

Probably not unless he was black. And this discussion is only going as far as it is because of a couple of posters making a big deal out of a paltry sum that if it could make a difference on just a handful of kids would be well worth it.   

1 hour ago, bogart said:

Old fool thinking at it's best..

One is only a fool when he doesn't take sagely advice.

So....I see only one fool here....and Bogart is his name.

9 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Probably not unless he was black. And this discussion is only going as far as it is because of a couple of posters making a big deal out of a paltry sum that if it could make a difference on just a handful of kids would be well worth it.   

Could you sort of clarify your statement. I am getting kinda mixed messages here....I am sure others are also.

13 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Likely if he was from Garrett county we wouldn't be having this discussion because he wouldn't be grand marshall or picking up a paycheck

Why on earth would you care if he is the grand Marshall of the parade?

You going:D.

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Could you sort of clarify your statement. I am getting kinda mixed messages here....I am sure others are also.

I doubt it.

Edited by jonsensback

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I doubt it.

So you are not answering the request?

18 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Why on earth would you care if he is the grand Marshall of the parade?

You going:D.

Nope not one bit...but it was part of the 'package'...wasn't it?

And no I am not going to the parade.....my CCW hasn't cleared yet. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

54 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Chech out the thread on the new school board commissioners. One is very qualified to do this job.

4 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Chech out the thread on the new school board commissioners. One is very qualified to do this job.

Yes but can she/he sing and has been on TV.

THAT is what the city is striving for. :D Not mathameticians, or scientist or teachers.....or so it seems. IMO.

Just now, Guido2 said:

Yes but can she/he sing and has been on TV.

THAT is what the city is striving for. :D Not mathameticians, or scientist or teachers.....or so it seems. IMO.

Which brought up other question. The job, another know person got, Deray Mckesson. He left after a year. Was another person hired for the job or was the position done away with .??

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Well since you are not going to clarify I am going to take a stab at it.

Obviously you are referring to me. Let me be clear....if the city was flush with cash i wouldn't say a word. But they aren't. Maybe it was because I was raised by parents that were in the middle of the Great Depression but my thinking is and always be you take care of IMMEDIATE needs with what little  you have in the way of money and THEN if you have some left over you do the nice stuff.

The city has it IMO bass ackwards. Yes 65000 in the grand scheme of the budge is not a lot. But when the city has one building superintendent for 6 schools (Blake cut that back from 1 to 1) and boilers are not working etc. Well, that to me is one more super that keeps a school running and enricher may hundreds of kids.....not just a handful...maybe ....due to experiencing arts.

You count pennies when you don't have a pot to pxx in. The city doesn't even seem to know where the pot is most time.

13 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Which brought up other question. The job, another know person got, Deray Mckesson. He left after a year. Was another person hired for the job or was the position done away with .??

I think you are seeing the 'feel good' trend that I have. Or am I mistaken.

My bet is the jobs gone. BTW I am fuzzy about the details.....but 'job' and how it came about seemed more like a bribe than anything else. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Guido2

On 1/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ode2Joy said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-davon-fleming-job-20180110-story.html#nt=oft06a-2li2

This demonstrates the city's spending priorities when it's constantly asking for more money for students and everything else, creating consulting jobs like this.

I'm sure that this was a vital position that no one already in a city position couldn't possibly do.  

He must have a lot of previous experience developing programs like this, meaning that Pugh would have hired him even if he hadn't been on The Voice. 

Lots of experience? He's 25 years old. How much experience can he have? This sounds like something from the Bob Ehrilch school of hiring government personnel. He hired an ice skater to work for the ports. I'll give Pugh a little credit -- at least she hired a singer to work in the performing arts arena.

45 minutes ago, XJLR said:

Lots of experience? He's 25 years old. How much experience can he have? This sounds like something from the Bob Ehrilch school of hiring government personnel. He hired an ice skater to work for the ports. I'll give Pugh a little credit -- at least she hired a singer to work in the performing arts arena.

Ehrlich was a joke. 

In this case, I'm sure that they did a thorough background check and the guy has a clean record. 

I understand what she's trying to do. She has correctly realized that the city's problems need systemic solutions that start when people are much younger than they are at the point where they commit their first serious crime. What I question is whether this guy has the qualifications to assemble a program like this.

10 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I understand what she's trying to do. She has correctly realized that the city's problems need systemic solutions that start when people are much younger than they are at the point where they commit their first serious crime. What I question is whether this guy has the qualifications to assemble a program like this.

What I question is the fact that a new school board member with the music qualifications was not asked. At least it wouldn't look like a give away job.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, stevez51 said:

What I question is the fact that a new school board member with the music qualifications was not asked. At least it wouldn't look like a give away job.

Like I said earlier.....that board member...though likely more qualified....doesn't have the 'glam' factor....to which kids associate strongly with.

He was on TV.....big wow factor....so I guess in a way....there is some logic to it....that is at least to get the kids to pay attention. Face it....look at all the various programs .....that sort of putter along with very qualified people leading.....bring an NBA or NFL or MLB player in the mix....even if it is a photo op....and the kids are in 'ohhh boy' mode.

Edited by Guido2

On 1/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ode2Joy said:

Yeah, especially when they start a GoFundMe page to raise money for small portable heaters for classrooms for some of those city schools.  They don't have money for that but they have money to hire a consultant for $65,000 to start a program of some kind.  Seems like an admission that there is nobody on the city school's payroll or any of the other city programs for youth that is capable of setting up programs.

Even Nick Mosby didn't charge money to bring local rappers to the city schools as positive role models for students to emulate. 

Government budgeting usually does not permit moving monies around from item to item. The heaters could not have been anticipated given the usual climate in the area. Money is frequently put into pots to be used for items such as this consultant.