Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Wal-Mart raises pay, gives bonuses

85 posts in this topic

Oh that evil Wal-Mart you know they are just doing this to try to make Trump look good

Link?

I'm not smart enough to insert links with my smartphone I'll do a link when I get home or maybe someone will help me out first the story is on all major sites

12 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Oh that evil Wal-Mart you know they are just doing this to try to make Trump look good

A nice gesture considering the additional billions the Waltons will be raking in.

13 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Well yeah, they probably are just doing this to try and make trump look good.  Walmart has been raking in the cash hand over fist for decades.  They have most assuredly been capable of raising pay and issuing bonuses for quite some time now but are only NOW choosing to do so.  Why do you think that is?

Take a look at USA Today

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walmart-to-boost-starting-wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html

Walmart's workers will soon reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes, as the world's largest private employer raises its starting wage, creates new benefits and distributes bonuses to eligible workers.

complete a training program. Then, they receive $10.

Walmart will also pay a one-time cash bonus to eligible employees of as much as $1,000. The payouts, which should total roughly $400 million, will result in a one-time charge that the company will take in its fiscal fourth quarter.

The bonuses will be determined by an employee's length of service. Those workers with more than 20 years of experience will qualify to receive the full $1,000. However, workers with less than two years of experience will receive $200, a Walmart spokesman told CNBC.

Employees with 15 to 19 years of service at Walmart will receive $750, while those with 10 to 14 years of work there will receive a $400 bonus, he said. Five to nine years of experience merits a $300 bonus, while two to four years of service will result in a payout of $250.

Bonuses are nice, but they aren't permanent like the corporate tax cuts.

Thanks Skaggs! Now,lets boycott Wal-Mart for improving benefits to their workers just to make Trump look good--Wait a minute, we are already boycotting them for not improving workers benefits!

8 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Democrats can renew if they take control of Congress. 

They can also boycott Walmart starting yesterday if they hate low prices.

15 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Pay raises aren't permanent? 

8 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Democrats can renew if they take control of Congress. 

No idea what you are talking about.  The corporate tax cuts are permanent.

Just now, flyboy56 said:

Unless I missed, starting pay was going up but that was it.  Existing employees are getting bonuses which aren't permanent.

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

Without any links from the OP it is hard to confirm anything. Is everyone getting raises? If so, how much? Will they still have to receive government assistance to make ends meet?

Well I think I have a handle on this.

1. Good news...........bad for Mid Terms for Dems and obviously Libs here.

2.Bad news or marginalizing good news..........good for Dems and Libs here at Mid Terms.

Hence the dragging out of the "collusion" investigation..........Its the only thing Dems have going for them now.

Edited by mcorioles

46 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Yippee...new phones and tats for everyone! 

15 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

How does a retroactive boycott work?

1 minute ago, FatBoy said:

How does a retroactive boycott work?

It's an expression.  It means that libs and Democrats should already be boycotting Walmart, but they aren't unless you believe that only republicans are Walmart customers, and you can even see some of the "people of Walmart" spoof sites to see that's not true.

12 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

You probably forgot that the tax breaks that others are getting, like those Walmart workers, that the Democrats are complaining about and pointing out that they're temporary, can be renewed.  :) 

Well...by the same token....when the dems are running congress....well they could pass a bill to double the !%ers and corp taxes....and maintain the tax breaks for the unwashed.

But then of course the Republicans will go all ape shxt about the deficit. :rolleyes::lol:

Round and round she goes.....where she stops ....NO BODY knows. :D

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Maybe I am missing something.....but please explain to me how as a Senator or Secretary of State ...Hillary single handedly crushed mom and pop stores?

What do mom and pop stores sell that Walmart and other big chain stores sell that put thoses stores out of business?  I always hear about mom and pop stores but the only ones I really see are the ones that seem to be in competition with convenience stores, and that's mostly in parts of the city.

Clothes, TVs, smart phones, food, shoes, appliances, etc.  What do people buy from those mom and pop stores?

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

It's an expression.  It means that libs and Democrats should already be boycotting Walmart, but they aren't unless you believe that only republicans are Walmart customers, and you can even see some of the "people of Walmart" spoof sites to see that's not true.

Hey there are some really got babes on that site....don't knock it.

11 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Without any links from the OP it is hard to confirm anything. Is everyone getting raises? If so, how much? Will they still have to receive government assistance to make ends meet?

Skaggs put up the link a ways back now and if its not too much trouble for you , you could put "USA Today" in your url bar or any other major news site and you find it

38 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Take a look at USA Today

The USA Today article covers some other aspects of the Walmart move.

"The company is also boosting its paid maternity leave policy for full-time hourly workers to 10 weeks at full pay. Previously, birthing mothers got six to eight weeks at half pay.

Walmart is also increasing its paid leave policy for new fathers and non-birthing mothers to six weeks at full pay for full-time hourly workers. Previously, the company didn't offer any paid leave for them.

The changes in parental leave put salaried and hourly workers on the same footing.

Walmart also said it would offer financial help to full-time hourly and salaried employees who are seeking to adopt children.

The minimum wage increase comes about a year after Walmart hiked hourly pay to at least $10 for most workers."

And tries to explain why this ogre of a company did what it did, and not just from one side.

"Economists have argued that one-time bonuses, while significant for workers living paycheck-to-paycheck, are not as meaningful as permanent wage increases. Critics of tax reform have said companies are dishing out bonuses for the sake of good publicity and to curry favor with the White House.

But, Gordon said, the move indicates that "the corporate tax cut's touted trickle-down effects that were met with skepticism by critics may be happening."

Charles Fishman, author of The Wal-Mart Effect, said the move shows that the retailer is betting on solid economic growth for the next two to three years. It also reflected a recognition that Walmart needed to "up its game to keep its employees and get new employees," he said.

"They’ve started to change the way they treat employees because they can’t take them for granted anymore," Fishman said."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/11/walmart-boosts-minimum-wage-11-hands-out-bonuses-up-1-000-hourly-workers/1023606001/

Just now, Ode2Joy said:

What do mom and pop stores sell that Walmart and other big chain stores sell that put thoses stores out of business?  I always hear about mom and pop stores but the only ones I really see are the ones that seem to be in competition with convenience stores, and that's mostly in parts of the city.

Clothes, TVs, smart phones, food, shoes, appliances, etc.  What do people buy from those mom and pop stores?

Ode.... I am not special needs got that long ago.

I am wondering how Hillary is supposed to take the blame.

Ah yes... the '1%' pass out crumbs and the sheep gently graze...

After decades of underpayment of employees, the magnanimous WalMart ups their own minimum wage... just in time to give credit to the King. (who has passed his own crumbs along)  ('still short of a 'living wage', but hey, sheep should be grateful)

Many of us predicted this back during Obama's very first year in office, when it became apparent that, in spite of record giveaways to BigBank, the rest of the 1% decided to 'hold 'em', limit capital investment of any type until the libruls were out of power. (except, of course, 'investment' in funding 'the vast, right-wing conspiracy'.  (...which, it could be noted, actually runs things now)

Trumps election signaled a spending spree by American Bizniss which, after suppressing wages for 3 decades, is responding with the predictable crumbs... for which we should all be grateful. 

So enjoy your temporary tax cuts, miniscule raises and bloated, mismanaged military.  It will all go away again the next time America's elite decides to throw a temper tantrum.