Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Maryland House just voted 88-52 to override Hogan's veto of paid sick leave, paid sick leave now reality in Maryland within 30 days, Senate voted 30-17 to override veto.

59 posts in this topic

JANUARY 12, 1:18 PM EASTERN UPDATE/EDIT: The Maryland Senate has voted 30-17 to override the veto, paid sick leave will become a reality within 30 days: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-sick-leave-senate-20180112-story.html

The Maryland Senate voted Friday to override Gov. Larry Hogan’s veto of a bill requiring employers to provide paid sick leave to hundreds of thousands of Maryland workers.

The legislation, which was approved by the House of Delegates on Thursday, becomes law in 30 days.

Hogan put up a vigorous fight to pick off a few Democrats in each chamber to sustain his veto. His efforts fell short, however.

The Senate voted 30-17 for the override. That was one more vote than the bill received in the Senate last year.

[/quote]

The Maryland House just voted 88-52 to override Hogan's veto of paid sick leave, up next will be the Maryland Senate to vote whether to override Hogan's veto or uphold his veto, this vote is likely to occur as soon as tomorrow, Friday, January 12, 2018: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2018/01/11/maryland-house-votes-to-override-hogans-veto-of.html

January 11, 2018

Democratic lawmakers in Maryland's House of Delegates voted overwhelmingly Thursday to override Gov. Larry Hogan’s veto of the paid sick leave law passed last year.

The House voted 88-52 to override the veto of the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act. Before the bill can become law, the Senate must also override the veto with a three-fifths majority vote. That vote is expected to take place Friday.

The Maryland Healthy Working Families Act was a top priority for Democrats last year. The law requires employers with 15 or more employees to provide up to five days of paid sick leave. Businesses with fewer than 15 employees have to provide five unpaid sick days. A coalition of groups including the National Federal for Independent Businesses and the Maryland Chamber of Commerce opposed the bill.

Edited by KSweeley

yet another thing the hoagie is on the wrong side of.  good on the house to override his veto.  cant wait till he is no longer the md gov

Not so sure on this.  I don't know the details, but I thought the problem Hogan had was that you don't have to be full time employee to get the sick leave.  If my memory serves, it may not, I think you could work as few as 15 hours a week and get sick leave under this. 

Over the years The Sun has had many clever and amusing headlines but the paper outdid itself today on the Page One lead story:

"Assembly is asked to ignore politics." In an election year???????????

That's like asking a cat to ignore catnip or a dog to ignore a fireplug.

The Maryland Senate President believes that all part-time employees working at Walmart needs paid sick leave: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2018/01/10/general-assembly-vote-on-hogans-veto-of-paid-sick.html

The longtime Senate president from Prince George's County said he hopes both chambers vote to override the vote. Both the House and Senate have to have a three-fifths majority vote to override.

Miller said, "We want to send strong message to working men and women, especially those people who work at Walmart who are part-time employees and just don't have the benefits. They need this sick leave."

House Speaker Michael E. Busch echoed Miller, saying he is "enthusiastic" about an override of the veto.

"I think vast majority of employers have ways to deal with employees and make sure they have opportunities to take care of their family," Busch said.

2 hours ago, yeah said:

yet another thing the hoagie is on the wrong side of.  good on the house to override his veto.  cant wait till he is no longer the md gov

Get set to wait 5 years pumkin;)

20 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Get set to wait 5 years pumkin;)

At which time he'll be our prez.

So can the employer just say all your sick & vacation time is all in one. Use it as you please.

I cannot believe this didn’t pass with unanimous support. These legislators have constituents to answer to. 

Ok this is done......bfd.

Now....what I am waiting for is the GA and the M&M show to block things like 'truth in sentencing ' and setting up a division to investigate wasted money and fake grades in education.

for instance:

“...with 15 or more employees...”

so, how will employers get around that? They will keep their employment rolls under 15. Some employees will lose jobs, some positions won’t be filled, some will be paid under-the-table...there’s always ways for employers to beat the system and the employees are the losers. 

Tsk tsk tsk...they should’ve listened to Hogan 

4 hours ago, stevez51 said:

So can the employer just say all your sick & vacation time is all in one. Use it as you please.

That is exactly what most employers will do

9 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

for instance:

“...with 15 or more employees...”

so, how will employers get around that? They will keep their employment rolls under 15. Some employees will lose jobs, some positions won’t be filled, some will be paid under-the-table...there’s always ways for employers to beat the system and the employees are the losers. 

Tsk tsk tsk...they should’ve listened to Hogan 

It is because employers will always try to exploit their workers that unions and laws like this are needed. 

3 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

It is because employers will always try to exploit their workers that unions and laws like this are needed. 

Not always. I’m not sure this was refined enough. But, it’s done and we shall see. 

15 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Yup. That's what mine does. And we don't get much of it either, and we never accrue more the longer you've been here. Been here 14 years in April and I still only get 18 days a year. Same as when I started in 2004. Less actually. It was 21 back then.

Edited by Pickle20

21 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Yup. That's what mine does. And we don't get much of it either, and we never accrue more the longer you've been here. Been here 14 years in April and I still only get 18 days a year. Same as when I started in 2004. Less actually. It was 21 back then.

that sucks

34 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

My wife's did that. What she calls all in one bucket, vacation,sick & holiday.

Where I worked we got paid for sick days, but it could hurt you points wise when your evaluation for an increase came up.

The Maryland Senate has voted 30-17 to override the veto for paid sick leave, bill to become law within 30 days: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-sick-leave-senate-20180112-story.html

The Maryland Senate voted Friday to override Gov. Larry Hogan’s veto of a bill requiring employers to provide paid sick leave to hundreds of thousands of Maryland workers.

The legislation, which was approved by the House of Delegates on Thursday, becomes law in 30 days.

Hogan put up a vigorous fight to pick off a few Democrats in each chamber to sustain his veto. His efforts fell short, however.

The Senate voted 30-17 for the override. That was one more vote than the bill received in the Senate last year.

23 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

At which time he'll be our prez.

I doubt he would run. But I have to admit that he would be more Presidential and stand on real GOP planks than the clown that is in office now.

1 hour ago, KSweeley said:

The Maryland Senate has voted 30-17 to override the veto for paid sick leave, bill to become law within 30 days: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-sick-leave-senate-20180112-story.html

It is what it is.

Now maybe the GA can start focusing on important things; truth in sentencing, schools being held accountable, the city being held accountable, throwing Oats of the team.... etc.

I already can predict all three in our nice blue state.....but I still write my rep.

Edited by Guido2

Looked this bill up, this is what I found.  Not sure if it is the final bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=02&id=hb0580&tab=subject3&ys=2016RS

Seems you only need to work 8 hours a week to qualify for sick leave.  Well, if you only work 8 hours a week.  You don't need any leave.

I believe the few hours work needed to qualify is what Hogan had problems with.  I agree.

Good job MD. Shame on Hogan for opposing this. 

Edited by Heisenberg

18 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

I don’t click your links. When will u start advertising your warning points?