Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Sam's Club closing stores in Syracuse, Rochester, more locations Up

89 posts in this topic

So then there's this....


Sam's Club closing stores in Syracuse, Rochester, more locations
 

Quote

 

Updated 12:26 PM; Posted 12:11 PM

Sam's Club is closing several stores in Upstate New York and across the nation, according to reports.

Walmart, which owns Sam's Club, has not announced a list of which stores will shutter, but multiple locations abruptly closed Thursday. A manager at a store in Henrietta, just outside Rochester, told WHAM-TV they were having "associate meetings."

Sam's Clubs are also reportedly closing in New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, and Louisiana. It's unclear how many employees and locations are affected.

The closings also come as Walmart announced earlier Thursday that the retail giant would raise its minimum wage to $11 an hour and hand out tax cut bonuses of up to $1,000, citing the new Republican tax law.

 

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2018/01/sams_club_closing_list.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And?

 

Must immediately react with bad news to good news.

Too funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcorioles said:

And?

 

Must immediately react with bad news to good news.

Too funny.

I think the point is that, just like AT&T, they seem to be trying to distract from things like closings and layoffs by making a very public display of giving raises and bonuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

I think the point is that, just like AT&T, they seem to be trying to distract from things like closings and layoffs by making a very public display of giving raises and bonuses.

Well,if you produce evidence of  it I would say that's a valid thought.

Edited by mcorioles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....more

SHOW CAPTION
Quote

 

Several Sam's Club stores throughout the nation reportedly closed Thursday without notice to the public. 

Two of the stores were in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, but news outlets across the nation -- including IndianapolisNew Jersey, Memphis and Houston -- reported similar unannounced closures of Sam's Club stores Thursday.

The Loveland, Ohio store on Fields-Ertel Road and the Oakley, Ohio store on Marburg Avenue both permanently closed Thursday, Sam's Club spokesperson Anne Hatfield told Cincinnati-based WCPO.

Both locations were removed from the corporate website Thursday.

Pharmacies at both locations will remain open through Jan. 26, Hatfield said.

Employees commented on WCPO's Facebook page and said they had no notice of the closure before receiving a letter in the mail. 

 

https://www.ktts.com/news/national/several-sams-club-stores-throughout-the-country-reportedly-permanently-close-without-notice

Diana Leavitt Lanham Came as a shock that we all just received the news via FedEx. I worked so hard last night and for what? To get a letter via FedEx that we were no longer employed.
Like · 7 Replies · 4 · about an hour ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

Well,if you produce evidence of  it I would say that's a valid thought.

You and I both know that there is no way we are going to be able to definitively prove that that is what they are doing, but that's hardly a reason to say that the idea isn't valid.  However, it seems awfully convenient that they seem to make a big show out of announcing raises and bonuses while at the same time firing people and closing stores.  

Edited by banner1124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

You and I both know that there is no way we are going to be able to definitively prove that that is what they are doing, but that's hardly a reason to say that the idea isn't valid.  However, it seems awfully convenient that they seem to make a big show out of announcing raises and bonuses while at the same time firing people and closing stores.  

Happens everyday.

I guess you haven't considered all the other reason it could be.

Just off the top of my head

1. Bad store locations

2. Population reduction in the area

3. Competition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcorioles said:

Happens everyday.

I guess you haven't considered all the other reason it could be.

Just off the top of my head

1. Bad store locations

2. Population reduction in the area

3. Competition 

Who says I haven't considered that.  That's an assumption that YOU are making.  I am pretty capable of holding more than one thought in my head at the same time you know.  

I'm sorry, but I just feel like they are making such a public display of the raises and bonuses as an attempt to mask the bad stuff happening.  I mean think about it... how often has any of these companies been so vocal about the paltry little raises and bonuses they give out in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thirteen said:

Sam's Club can't hold Costco's jock strap.

 

On that I 100% agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

Who says I haven't considered that.  That's an assumption that YOU are making.  I am pretty capable of holding more than one thought in my head at the same time you know.  

I'm sorry, but I just feel like they are making such a public display of the raises and bonuses as an attempt to mask the bad stuff happening.  I mean think about it... how often has any of these companies been so vocal about the paltry little raises and bonuses they give out in the past?

But your ONE assumption...........the most  damaging one it could be to Wal Mart and the GOP is the one you pick.

 

Thats the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Walmart is abruptly closing Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers, and no one knows why

Quote

 

Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the US without explanation.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona, Alaska, and elsewhere.

In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Jessica Buckner, an employee of a Sam's Club store in Alaska, told KTVA that all Sam's Club stores in the state are closing as part of a larger downsizing across the US.

"From what I heard, there's over 260 stores that have been closed down," Buckner told the station.

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

But your ONE assumption...........the most  damaging one it could be to Wal Mart and the GOP is the one you pick.

 

Thats the point.

And my point is that I haven not said that that is definitively what's happening, it's just what I believe to be the case.  And sorry, but WalMart and the GOP don't exactly have a track record that says I should give them the benefit of the doubt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thirteen said:

It's because they suck.

I'll take your word for it...I don't think I've ever been in one.  They certainly suck for letting people show up to work today only to find their store closed and they're out of a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Obama’s exit from office impacted their decision whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Sam's Club can't hold Costco's jock strap.

 

 

31 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

On that I 100% agree

I love Costco. I get their rotisserie roasted chicken (a bargain at $5) almost every time I go there and the quality of their products are much superior to the cheaply made Sam's Club ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ncbirdfan said:

 

I love Costco. I get their rotisserie roasted chicken (a bargain at $5) almost every time I go there and the quality of their products are much superior to the cheaply made Sam's Club ones.

I love Costco pizza!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Sam's Club can't hold Costco's jock strap.

 

Nor BJ's for that matter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owings Mills MD store has closed without advance notice for the employees. 

Sad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Manny said:

I love Costco pizza!

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac I did enjoy their pizzas. Now I buy gluten-free izzas in their frozen sections which are good as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ncbirdfan said:

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac I did enjoy their pizzas. Now I buy gluten-free izzas in their frozen sections which are good as well.

I am not adverse to buying a pizza from the pre-made section there. It’s a great value and tastes amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Nor BJ's for that matter.

 

When I lived in Long Island I was a member of BJs in Riverhead, NY. They are not as good as Costco IMO but much better than Sam's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a BJs in Millsboro Delaware. They sell name brand alcohol at very competitive prices. I don’t drink myself, but I bought some bottles for mixed cocktails for a party at my house last summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcorioles said:

Happens everyday.

I guess you haven't considered all the other reason it could be.

Just off the top of my head

1. Bad store locations

2. Population reduction in the area

3. Competition 

Being from Syracuse and as one who visits regularly,  I can say that #2 is true which then makes #1 true.  Upstate NY is a place where those that can leave, do leave.

There are a lot of discount grocery stores in the Syracuse area where you don't need a membership.  Which speaks to #3.

I don't agree with you on much, but I do agree with you on this.  I'm sure Sam's Club has valid business reasons for shutting as many business in Upstate NY do.   I also think Banner could also be right.  Store closures and layoffs are not positive press releases.  But raises and such are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0