Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Sam's Club closing stores in Syracuse, Rochester, more locations Up

89 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Wouldn't use that word, but the timing of the two announcements certainly isn't a coincidence.

Probably not.

It's called public relations and if someone is really good at it they can make big $.

Just now, VOSA said:

Probably not.

It's called public relations and if someone is really good at it they can make big $.

The PR stunt failed

The Sams Club layoffs are getting more attention in the news today...

4 hours ago, soulflower said:

Owings Mills MD store has closed without advance notice for the employees. 

Sad...

That's good news for the Costco that will be opening in that area soon.

Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by Evil Yoda

Liberals hate corporations and really hate big ones ....

Walmart is enemy #1.....

7 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The PR stunt failed

The Sams Club layoffs are getting more attention in the news today...

I'm sure that is of great concern to the Walmart folks who got a raises and/or a bonus.

20 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Liberals hate corporations and really hate big ones ....

Walmart is enemy #1.....

I dislike corporations that behave badly, which I admit has a broad definition. I don't want them mistreating their employees or poisoning the environment, and I'd rather they didn't seek a monopoly by gobbling up competition. I'd prefer they didn't use their enormous legal staffs to intimidate and browbeat those whom they have injured, or to attempt end runs on regulation. And I certainly dislike lobbying.

Corporations are fine economic engines but they cannot run ungoverned, same way a mechanical engine cannot.

5 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Sam's Club can't hold Costco's jock strap.

5 hours ago, banner1124 said:

On that I 100% agree

5 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I love Costco. I get their rotisserie roasted chicken (a bargain at $5) almost every time I go there and the quality of their products are much superior to the cheaply made Sam's Club ones.

Serious question: Why is Costco so much better than Sams?  I have had memberships to both and have seen little difference.  They both offer the same bulk items at roughly the same price.  There are a few differences in what brand name products are carried, but the differences aren't much.  The membership price was roughly the same.  They both offer house brand names (Costco = Kirkland, Sams = MembersMark).  Generally I have found both house brands to be inferior to actual brand names depending on what you are buying.  I know the house brand laundry detergents don't do as good of a job as brand name, and the paper towels are cheap compared to brand names such as Bounty.  I admit I didn't buy prepared foods from either so I can't make a comparison.  So seriously, what are some examples as to why Costco is so much better than Sams.  

Note:  The only reason I switched was the location of Sams was better for me than Costco.  

46 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

So seriously, what are some examples as to why Costco is so much better than Sams.  

The meat and produce is better at Costco, IMO.

Costco treats its employees better than Wal-Mart does, if that matters to you.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

That's good news for the Costco that will be opening in that area soon.

Which is the reason Sams pulled stakes and more than likely competition is the reason they closing in others.

Companies are business to make money not to be a Job Core.

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

Companies are business to make money not to be a Job Core.

True. However, thanks to Wall Street (investment bankers), the only people companies consider when making decisions are shareholders. Their employees don't matter to them at all in most cases. That's the business model the GOP embraces and endorses.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

True. However, thanks to Wall Street (investment bankers), the only people companies consider when making decisions are shareholders. Their employees don't matter to them at all in most cases. That's the business model the GOP embraces and endorses.

That’s the business model capitalism is built on.

If you are not operating profitable you won’t stay in business long.

It’s tough but I have been there as an employee of a downsizing company and a business owner and politics wasn’t really on my mind in either case.

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That’s the business model capitalism is built on.

If you are not operating profitable you won’t stay in business long.

It’s tough but I have been there as an employee of a downsizing company and a business owner and politics wasn’t really on my mind in either case.

It wasn't always the case. It wasn't the case until the investment bankers started setting earnings goals and business leaders, afraid, started honoring them. At one time, believe it or not, people weren't like pliers to businessmen. The worst thing that happened to this economy was when the bankers got control of it.

2 hours ago, VOSA said:

I'm sure that is of great concern to the Walmart folks who got a raises and/or a bonus.

$11/hr?

Why not $15 per hour like Costco?

Banker or not a business will not continue to operate unless they are profitable. They will try because obviously they lose money closing. Chains like Walmart operate each store like a business based on profitability. 

As I mentioned above I experienced closing my own business (bar and Grille) And did well the first three years and it went slowly down hill after that. I stayed open as long as I could to the point I used my wife and I savings sold our dream house and downsized until I couldn’t do anymore. And that was based on emotion of a dream I wanted to keep alive and for the longtime employees that were like family. Matter of a couple were.

Now I’m like three years past when I planned to retire and hope to hell I can sometime soon do it.

Bit different than a big corporation but not a whole lot the way I see it.

Either way thanks for a civil discussion. It’s a rarity here anymore.

Edited by jonsensback

5 minutes ago, soulflower said:

$11/hr?

Why not $15 per hour like Costco?

Why not $30 and then when the price of goods go up the rest of us will get raises to keep up. 

That sounds like a perfect world.

2 hours ago, Patapeake said:

You better check the law again.

I won’t lose an ounce of sleep over this.

14 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Why not $30 and then when the price of goods go up the rest of us will get raises to keep up. 

Just saying it's still a joke what they pay their employees. 

Many of whom qualify for Food stamps so taxpayers end up subsidizing Walmart

Forbes: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

8 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Sam's Club can't hold Costco's jock strap.

Got that right!

25 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Costco sells stuff for roughly the same prices as Sam's Club. And Walmart has the ability to affect the supply chain and drive down prices even more that Costco does. Yet they can't beat Costco at the "wholesale" game.

There's a value to paying employees more that actually helps businesses in a tangible way, but it's not something that can be correlated for shareholders. Costco apparently understands this to some extent; Walmart's business model is to pay bare minimum to maximize shareholder money right now at the expense of employee effectiveness and longevity, which hurts shareholders in the long run.

3 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Serious question: Why is Costco so much better than Sams?  I have had memberships to both and have seen little difference.  They both offer the same bulk items at roughly the same price.  There are a few differences in what brand name products are carried, but the differences aren't much.  The membership price was roughly the same.  They both offer house brand names (Costco = Kirkland, Sams = MembersMark).  Generally I have found both house brands to be inferior to actual brand names depending on what you are buying.  I know the house brand laundry detergents don't do as good of a job as brand name, and the paper towels are cheap compared to brand names such as Bounty.  I admit I didn't buy prepared foods from either so I can't make a comparison.  So seriously, what are some examples as to why Costco is so much better than Sams.  

Note:  The only reason I switched was the location of Sams was better for me than Costco.  

It's not about what's available to me as a consumer, for me it's about how they treat their employees.  Costco pays better and generally treats their employees better.

54 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

Costco sells stuff for roughly the same prices as Sam's Club. And Walmart has the ability to affect the supply chain and drive down prices even more that Costco does. Yet they can't beat Costco at the "wholesale" game.

There's a value to paying employees more that actually helps businesses in a tangible way, but it's not something that can be correlated for shareholders. Costco apparently understands this to some extent; Walmart's business model is to pay bare minimum to maximize shareholder money right now at the expense of employee effectiveness and longevity, which hurts shareholders in the long run.

I kind of disagree. The Costco products are far better at a better price for big ticket items like TV’s, laptops and other electronics like small appliances. I haven’t got a membership yet because the closest one is a bit bit farther than I want to go for normal shopping we can get at BJ’s. But do piggy back on my daughters membership when looking for those big ticket items. As I said above, I haven’t been to a Sam’s for decades. Probably why there isn’t a Sam’s anywhere near Where I live In Harford which is the reason I would assume rwhy the 63 are closing. They can’t compete along with the reasons you stated.

They can’t keep up with the competition. Those stores were closing eventually and I would imagine Sam’s are on their way out.

My only point is I don’t think it had anything to do with raises to Walmart employees. It was a done deal regardless in my opinion unless they suddenly changed their business motto to close profitable stores.

Edited by jonsensback

4 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

The meat and produce is better at Costco, IMO.

Costco treats its employees better than Wal-Mart does, if that matters to you.

2 hours ago, banner1124 said:

It's not about what's available to me as a consumer, for me it's about how they treat their employees.  Costco pays better and generally treats their employees better.

Fair enough.  I judge places that I shop based on quality vs. price.  All things being equal, I would side with the company that treats it's workers better.   I was just curious as to why people thought Costco was so much better than Sams club.  It looks like the preference is not based on what they sell or the price as much as it is based on their business model. 

27 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Fair enough.  I judge places that I shop based on quality vs. price.  All things being equal, I would side with the company that treats it's workers better.   I was just curious as to why people thought Costco was so much better than Sams club.  It looks like the preference is not based on what they sell or the price as much as it is based on their business model. 

That's true. When I worked with a huge corporation we did business with Costco and I visited the stores on a frequent basis. I also visited a few Sam's Clubs, but not as frequent. In talking with employees Costco wins hands down. But there is also a great difference in quality of the products, whether it be produce or big-ticket items. Costco also has great no-hassle return policies. I buy laptops for my employees and Costco is where I buy them because I can get good quality and if there are any issues I can quickly get them resolved or turn them in if it is within the time frame allowed (I think it is 90 days for laptops - more than enough time to see if the laptop is a dud).