Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

Sam's Club closing stores in Syracuse, Rochester, more locations Up

89 posts in this topic

I usually don't buy meat & produce from Sams. There are some larger quantity items that are cheaper, but local market prices are cheaper on more.

18 hours ago, soulflower said:

The Owings Mills MD store had 100+ employees 

So multiply that times 63

Pretty clever for Walmart to announce pay raises on the day they layoff thousands 

The number I heard on the radio today was 10,000 employees gone.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

The number I heard on the radio today was 10,000 employees gone.

So all the twitter people were off by a 1000 .........

3 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Many people take part time jobs to make just enough to stay below levels to keep getting assistance. There are more Walmart stores.

Do you have anything you can provide to back up that claim?

1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

Do you have anything you can provide to back up that claim?

Doesn't it make sense ..???

Seniors work there but only enough to stay below the limit.

39 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Doesn't it make sense ..???

Seniors work there but only enough to stay below the limit.

No quite frankly your initial claim doesn't make sense.  I'd still like to see something to back it up

20 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Serious question: Why is Costco so much better than Sams?  I have had memberships to both and have seen little difference.  They both offer the same bulk items at roughly the same price.  There are a few differences in what brand name products are carried, but the differences aren't much.  The membership price was roughly the same.  They both offer house brand names (Costco = Kirkland, Sams = MembersMark).  Generally I have found both house brands to be inferior to actual brand names depending on what you are buying.  I know the house brand laundry detergents don't do as good of a job as brand name, and the paper towels are cheap compared to brand names such as Bounty.  I admit I didn't buy prepared foods from either so I can't make a comparison.  So seriously, what are some examples as to why Costco is so much better than Sams.  

Note:  The only reason I switched was the location of Sams was better for me than Costco.  

#1 on my list...customer service

As just a simple example, we got a membership to Sams Club, with the offer of a gift card (which they gave us on the spot), and a free rotisserie chicken and appple pie (oh, we'll load those to your membership card...you can get them next time you come in).  I went in a month later...oh, i had to get my chicken and pie within 2 weeks...thanks for telling me.  Also, they set your membership to auto renew to the credit card you gave them.  But they give you a phone number to call to opt-out.  It's just a phone tree with no option to opt-out or to talk to a human.  So I went to my account on the website.  Ow, there's a link to auto-renewal.  Nope, just tells me the date that I auto-renew.  No option to cancel it.

I had originall signed up because I needed to continually buy a particular item in bulk, and Sams had it cheapest.  I've now found a cheaper alternative, and no longer have a need for the membership.  But now I have to go there and see if they'll kill the auto-renew in person.  I don't really want to because....

#2...I don't like the atmosphere.  There's just something very Walmart-ish about Sam's Club.  :lol:

On 1/11/2018 at 1:33 PM, soulflower said:

Owings Mills MD store has closed without advance notice for the employees. 

Sad...

Years ago my brother in law worked at a Best Buy type store. He was a manager and the company said they were closing in 4 weeks the first 2 weeks the stuff would be 20% off and after that 50-75%.  Well the employees called their friend and "stashed" some items for their friends when the stuff would hit the 75% level.

That is why there is no advance notice. 

22 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Liberals hate corporations and really hate big ones ....

Walmart is enemy #1.....

Yeah, they ARE the devil. The largest private employer in the world, giving shoppers very good prices, raise their starting wage by $2, giving up to $1000 in bonuses, and expanding parental and maternity leave. There average wage is about $15/hour, anywhere from $12 - $24/hour. To add insult to injury, the pubbies are giving the a tax cut. These raises and bonuses wouldn't have come without the tax cuts and regulation rolled back. I wonder when the 1.4 million employees go to vote in 2020, will they re-up with a pubbie POTUS, or will they want to go with the dem, and get a nice tax hike, slap some more regulations on the corporations, and make all this go away.

23 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Liberals hate corporations and really hate big ones ....

Walmart is enemy #1.....

What a stupid broad brush post

31 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Yeah, they ARE the devil. The largest private employer in the world, giving shoppers very good prices, raise their starting wage by $2, giving up to $1000 in bonuses, and expanding parental and maternity leave. There average wage is about $15/hour, anywhere from $12 - $24/hour. To add insult to injury, the pubbies are giving the a tax cut. These raises and bonuses wouldn't have come without the tax cuts and regulation rolled back. I wonder when the 1.4 million employees go to vote in 2020, will they re-up with a pubbie POTUS, or will they want to go with the dem, and get a nice tax hike, slap some more regulations on the corporations, and make all this go away.

You've been hoodwinked.  The idea that corporations who are giving these bonuses and paltry raises weren't in a financial position to do so until this tax cut is laughable.  These companies have been raking in money hand over fist for years now and just sitting on piles of cash.  CEO pay has been skyrocketing.  It's just that these people aren't stupid.  They have a "president" now who, if they keep him happy, will basically remove any and all rules and let them run around like kids in a candy store and do whatever they want and so they are more than happy to oblige by stroking his ego.

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

You've been hoodwinked.  The idea that corporations who are giving these bonuses and paltry raises weren't in a financial position to do so until this tax cut is laughable.  These companies have been raking in money hand over fist for years now and just sitting on piles of cash.  CEO pay has been skyrocketing.  It's just that these people aren't stupid.  They have a "president" now who, if they keep him happy, will basically remove any and all rules and let them run around like kids in a candy store and do whatever they want and so they are more than happy to oblige by stroking his ego.

Who said anything about the corporations not being in financial position to give out raises? If you think they were gonna cut into profits and hand out raises and bonuses you're being naïve. After 8 years of the weakest recovery since the great depression, the idea of raises is laughable. It's no coincidence that 100 companies including the biggest private employer in the world did this after Trump signed the tax bill and cut regulations. This is business, and they do it to make money. Running a huge company like Walmart, providing  jobs, decent pay, balancing the budget to cover the overhead, expanding benefits, and still giving consumers the best values for their money isn't easy. So sure, the CEO's are gonna pad their bank account. So the dems can say it's crumbs, like Polosi, which it probably is to her. But to a working man, it's isn't. So in 3 more years, 1.4 million Walmart employees are gonna go to the polls, and ask them selves, "Am I better off now than I was after 8 years of democrat rule?" Then vote their conscious. Let the chips fall where they may.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, Manny said:

I love Costco pizza!

Hot dog with mustard & relish, diet coke and finish off with a berrie berrie sunday... less than 2 bucks.  

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

Hot dog with mustard & relish, diet coke and finish off with a berrie berrie sunday... less than 2 bucks.  

Italian sausage is another great option.