Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norman

New littoral combat ship remains stuck in icy Canada

10 posts in this topic

New LCS remains stuck in icy Canada

The littoral combat ship Little Rock was commissioned in Buffalo, New York, on Dec. 16 in a snow-covered ceremony with more than 8,500 people in attendance, all ready to send the new vessel off to her home port of Mayport, Florida.  But the North is apparently not ready to let the ship go, according to a Buffalo News report.

After having their departure from Buffalo delayed due to inclement weather, the Little Rock’s crew finally got the ship underway on Dec. 20, only to get stuck in ice during a routine port visit in Montreal, where it’s been docked since Dec. 27, according to the Buffalo News.  Sailors aboard Little Rock haven’t allowed Jack Frost to keep them stagnant, though, as they continue to work through the tough conditions, performing routine maintenance as well as repairs on a ship steering cable, according to Lt. Cmdr. Courtney Hillson, public affairs officer for Naval Surface Force Atlantic. Sailors wrapped up repairs on Jan. 5, Hillson told Navy Times, but ice has kept the ship from steaming to its next destination.

“Icy conditions delayed the ship’s departure due to a limited number of tugs,” she said.  Once tugs become available, Little Rock should be able to get on its way, she said.  Until then, sailors are at least making the most of the winter wonderland.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/01/09/commissioned-less-than-a-month-ago-lcs-remains-stuck-in-icy-canada/#.WlZ5d3-iAsI.twitter

At $500M per ship & a total program cost of at least $45 billion, the Littoral Combat Ship isn't survivable in combat & can't even steam from Canada to the U.S. in winter. But Congress just ordered another 2 ships that the Pentagon doesn’t even want....https://twitter.com/RepSpeier/status/951195782585167874

But the current US Navy is smaller than it was during WW1.  We need ships regardless of cost, need or functionality!

16 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

But the current US Navy is smaller than it was during WW1.  We need ships regardless of cost, need or functionality!

...as long as there aren't any wars in cold places.  Thank Jeebus for Global Warming!  (somebody had to say it!)

Where's Quinton McHale and Chuck Parker when you need them? 

I'll leave assessments of military needs to the professionals, not a bunch of whiny liberal desk jockys.

2 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Where's Quinton McHale and Chuck Parker when you need them? 

Conway's still around ......

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the St. Lawrence River freezes up about this time of year every year. I know it has not been as bad the past couple of years (pesky global warming), but given the recent record cold, even rivers South of the Mason/Dixon line are frozen over.

Perhaps the Representative from California could take her limo down to the Potomac to confirm that.

This time of year it is pretty much standard procedure to wait for the ice breakers to open a lane to open water.

3 hours ago, Joba said:

I'll leave assessments of military needs to the professionals, not a bunch of whiny liberal desk jockys.

The thing is a mess. The Pentagon said that. The lawmakers from where they are built are championing it. I would not consider them experts.

55 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

The thing is a mess. The Pentagon said that. The lawmakers from where they are built are championing it. I would not consider them experts.

The LCS has turned in into a crapshow. We dumped all our frigates (recently completed selling them off) and are "replacing" them with the LCS. The LCS were designed to operate close to shores and don't have the manning or firepower to meet a lot of the mission needs we lost. The Navy put out an RFI for frigates this last summer because of this. But much like the C-17 and M-1 debacles, we're going to be forced to buy way more of these than we need because people in Congress have contractors in their home districts.

Another costly boondoggle weakening America.

Hope the bloodsuckers who made out like bandits on that deal are proud of themselves.