Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Miguel Gonzales signs with the White Sox...

17 posts in this topic

...for $4.5 million. 

Guess ole’ Peter Angelos and Big Dan Duquette couldn’t find that in their offseason budget.

Need that $$$ to resign Miley and Ubaldo!!!! 

I have always liked Miggy. 

Actually, they need to save some of it for arbitration. According The Sun's Eduardo Encina, the Orioles are expected to pay more than $20 million in raises to their seven arbitration-eligible players. 

My question: Orioles have three (3) vacancies in the starting rotation. Will any of the new pitchers that Big Dan claimed he was going to find be better than Miggy?

Edited by pitbull

I personally didn't expect Miggy to re-sign here unless he had absolutely no other options. Maybe he felt more comfortable pitching in the AL Central, or maybe there are some bad feelings on his part over the way the Orioles rather unceremoniously dumped him the last time. The reportedly Orioles never made him an offer, but just because one team offered x doesn't mean another team could get a player simply by offering x + whatever.

10 hours ago, pitbull said:

My question: Orioles have three (3) vacancies in the starting rotation. Will any of the new pitchers that Big Dan claimed he was going to find be better than Miggy?

Replacing poop with poop still gives ya poop 

Were I him, the way he was dumped, I wouldn't be in a hurry to return here unless, as mdrunning says, I literally had no other options. Prior to Buck's arrival this club had a "losing reputation" and could not get good free agents to come here. We're seeing a return to those days as the profession realizes that Buck will always be a bridesmaid.

I don't know whether he's any good or not. The other side of my comment is, of course, the team clearly felt he couldn't do anything for them or he would not have been cut loose. That's the nature of professional sports. They'd have cut Britton loose if the rules allowed it.

The trouble is that Duquette hasn't had much good luck with free agent pitching. And due to Angelos parsimony, they can't scout draft picks well, or develop what talent they do have. As long as Angelos and his "pitching is not cost effective" policy prevail they will never be better than an also ran.

Edited by Evil Yoda

3 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

We're seeing a return to those days as the profession realizes that Buck will always be a bridesmaid.

?????

So, it’s Showalter’s fault the rotation was horrible last year? Got it.

1 minute ago, pitbull said:

?????

So, it’s Showalter’s fault the rotation was horrible last year? Got it.

How could you possibly read that from what I wrote???

Buck has the skill to take a team to the post season but not to a World Championship. THAT'S what I wrote.

Edited by Evil Yoda

On 1/13/2018 at 2:25 PM, Evil Yoda said:

How could you possibly read that from what I wrote???

Buck has the skill to take a team to the post season but not to a World Championship. THAT'S what I wrote.

Thanks for clarification.

Out of the three seasons that Orioles qualified for post-seasons, I can only think of one contest where his managerial decision impacted the outcome of the game.

I’m referring to the Wild Card play-in game last year, of course. I didn’t have an issue with saving Britton for the save situation but there is no way in the blue hell that Ubaldo should have been pitching in a playoff game. Period. So, thorns to Big Dan for keeping Ubaldo on the playoff roster and thorns to Showalter for actually using him in a playoff game.

(And don’t forget, the Orioles had, what, one hit in the final eight innings of play? One-dimensional offense that Big Dan takes a lot of pride in).

In the 2012 playoffs, the Yankees had better pitching & Baltimore’s one-dimensional offense fell flat (see also: CC Sabathia).

In the 2014 playoffs, similarly, the one-dimensional offense fell flat against Kansas City. I don’t think their pitching was better, our offense sucked. It’s been a long standing philosophy under Big Dan that, while he claims to seek “on-base” guys, our guys don’t get on base and when they do, we don’t know how to manufacture runs.

Edited by pitbull

Buck has a lot of input into how that offense is constructed. If the theories about Angelos having little respect for the value of pitching are correct, then I suppose Buck and Dan concluded that their only chance is to out hit their opponents. The problem is, between them they can't put together a lineup that can do that. I believe you can't ignore pitching, and that's part of why I believe that as long as the Angelos family directs the team it will never reach the World Series, will occasionally thrill but more often disappoint, and will struggle to reach .500 most seasons.

Edited by Evil Yoda

Don't forget the combined stats / production of the big handful of starting pitchers that Duquette has seen fit to part ways with in recent years, compared to the starting pitchers he's seen fit to bring on board... there's no getting around the abject disaster his pitching decisions have been overall.  His two best additions in my opinion were Chen and Gonzalez, interestingly enough both plucked from the international market.  The international market the Orioles are now keen to avoid.  It's mind-blowing...

Don’t worry, Big Dan doesn’t know where they’ll come from but he’ll find new pitchers this year...

On 1/16/2018 at 3:37 PM, pitbull said:

Thanks for clarification.

Out of the three seasons that Orioles qualified for post-seasons, I can only think of one contest where his managerial decision impacted the outcome of the game.

I’m referring to the Wild Card play-in game last year, of course. I didn’t have an issue with saving Britton for the save situation but there is no way in the blue hell that Ubaldo should have been pitching in a playoff game. Period. So, thorns to Big Dan for keeping Ubaldo on the playoff roster and thorns to Showalter for actually using him in a playoff game.

(And don’t forget, the Orioles had, what, one hit in the final eight innings of play? One-dimensional offense that Big Dan takes a lot of pride in).

In the 2012 playoffs, the Yankees had better pitching & Baltimore’s one-dimensional offense fell flat (see also: CC Sabathia).

In the 2014 playoffs, similarly, the one-dimensional offense fell flat against Kansas City. I don’t think their pitching was better, our offense sucked. It’s been a long standing philosophy under Big Dan that, while he claims to seek “on-base” guys, our guys don’t get on base and when they do, we don’t know how to manufacture runs.

The choice to bring in jibaldo was the most bizarre thing i have ever seen. As i recall we had tommy hunter in the bp as well as britton