Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleedingorangeandblack

Discuss

3 posts in this topic

Andy inherited a disaster and maneuvered to form a solid core of players that turned things around.

Dan inherited that rebuilt core.

We'll see what's left behind after Dan is gone...

We all recognize what AM accomplished here. But if we're being honest about it, the guy's track record for recognizing talent in the draft, was terrible. He has far too many top 10 and other busts to be put on a pedestal. And I'm absolutely convinced that, had he stayed, he would have just continued to stock up on draft picks, while leaving the big club to twist in also ran status. He showed no intention of ever competing. He accomplished more in the Seattle, TX and Hardy trades, than he did in all his years of drafting. 

DD hasn't had the luxury of multiple top 10 picks. His one top 10 pick was Gausman. That whole draft class was blah. Although, Corey Seager was picked 18th overall. I know pitching is more important, but I have to admit, I'd rather have Seager than KG. But that's hindsight. DD chose the best player (imagine if he had selected Appel :unsure:, AM probably would have). 

The facts support DD as the better GM. He is responsible for nearly the same number of drafted players, making an impact with the O's, as AM. And he did it with lower picks and fewer years, while also making the big club competitive. Imagine if he hadn't been so willing to give away draft picks for FAs with QO attached. The O's renaissance only lasted for 5 years, but I'm happy for those years. Now we're back to watching the organization blindly stumble around.

Who knows, maybe Brady will be a good GM. He already has Pete's ear, and confidence, so at least he'll be able to act on his instincts and decisions. Let's all hope he's a good judge of talent and a shrewd trader.