PinkFlamingo

Carroll Co Schools looking to ban Confederate flag clothing

94 posts in this topic

Seems some are going to try the !st on this one. However, judging by the rules laid out in the handbook about what kids can and can not wear...they don't have a leg to stand on.

Just my opinion, and I'm no lawyer, but if they don't have a uniform dress code and allow students to wear what they please they may have a fight on their hands from those that want to wear that clothing. They can say someone else's clothing offends them and demand it be banned as well. It could be pro-Hispanic, pro-Muslim, pro-abortion rights, whatever.

So unless they ban all clothing which can be construed as making a statement, whatever that statement may be, I can see it being an issue. If they want to go that way and ban clothing with certain emblems or making statements, just go to uniforms and nobody can make statements or complain about someone else doing it.

4 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

Just my opinion, and I'm no lawyer, but if they don't have a uniform dress code and allow students to wear what they please they may have a fight on their hands from those that want to wear that clothing. They can say someone else's clothing offends them and demand it be banned as well. It could be pro-Hispanic, pro-Muslim, pro-abortion rights, whatever.

So unless they ban all clothing which can be construed as making a statement, whatever that statement may be, I can see it being an issue. If they want to go that way and ban clothing with certain emblems or making statements, just go to uniforms and nobody can make statements or complain about someone else doing it.

Most teen clothing “makes a statement” of some sort. 

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Most teen clothing “makes a statement” of some sort. 

True. So that's where the uniforms come in unless they want to accept all clothing.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:55 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

CCPS looking to ban Confederate flag clothing https://www.abc2news.com/news/region/carroll-county/carroll-county-public-schools-looking-to-ban-confederate-flag-clothing

I never realized that was a problem in Carroll Co. 

Cecil-tucky maybe. 

It's not a "problem" anywhere. As always , it's loud mouth minority that politicians  are too cowardly to stand up to.

6 hours ago, Duke of Earl said:

It's not a "problem" anywhere. As always , it's loud mouth minority that politicians  are too cowardly to stand up to.

This thread was posted yesterday Dukey. You’re slipping.  :lol:

On 1/12/2018 at 4:13 PM, Woodbuchr said:

Fact is they do have a dress code...and paraphrasing here 'what is considered to be inappropriate' is part of it. And that ties with your second statement I bolded. Who determines what is inappropriate? That is the problem.

If you look at it from a purely analytical way and not passionately or in a 'I feel' way. Well then what differentiates a Confederate flag shirt and a Muslim support shirt.  Yes the Conf. flag represents many bad things...to some...and others good things....a pro-Muslim T-shirt...depending on you perspective could mean...once again....to some many bad things or good things. I am no intending to debate that point here.

Further again depending on your stance.... that bad things that happened were hundreds of years ago re the Confederacy....and re the Muslims ...the bad things that are happening have been in the last decade and continue I am sure as we speak.

Again, I am playing devils advocate here and turning all the cards face up.

So the answer? Probably school uniforms. Which of course some will say is an impediment to freedom of expression....which would be true.....but in their minds ONLY what they deem is expressible.

Edited by Guido2

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Fact is they do have a dress code...and paraphrasing here 'what is considered to be inappropriate' is part of it. And that ties with your second statement I bolded. Who determines what is inappropriate? That is the problem.

If you look at it from a purely analytical way and not passionately or in a 'I feel' way. Well then what differentiates a Confederate flag shirt and a Muslim support shirt.  Yes the Conf. flag represents many bad things...to some...and others good things....a pro-Muslim T-shirt...depending on you perspective could mean...once again....to some many bad things or good things. I am no intending to debate that point here.

Further again depending on your stance.... that bad things that happened were hundreds of years ago re the Confederacy....and re the Muslims ...the bad things that are happening have been in the last decade and continue I am sure as we speak.

Again, I am playing devils advocate here and turning all the cards face up.

So the answer? Probably school uniforms. Which of course some will say is an impediment to freedom of expression....which would be true.....but in their minds ONLY what they deem is expressible.

A cheaper and easier approach would be to allow only plain tshirts. No words or decals. 

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

A cheaper and easier approach would be to allow only plain tshirts. No words or decals. 

See....there you go ...thinking logically.

However....some here and others out in the world ...will point out that plain white shirts are an indicator of nasty things a select group of inner city kids associate with.

Not that is true ....in all cases.

But again....playing devils advocate.

No good deed goes unpunished. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

See....there you go ...thinking logically.

However....some here and others out in the world ...will point out that plain white shirts are an indicator of nasty things a select group of inner city kids associate with.

Not that is true ....in all cases.

But again....playing devils advocate.

No good deed goes unpunished. :lol:

I never said anything about plain white shirts. I just said tshirts with no decals or wording. Any kind of shirt, basically, but no logos, no branding. Nothing from the shops on the boardwalk, in other words. 

That would be the rule: No wording, branding, logos or pictures. It’s not rocket science. (Lol, I’m watching Hidden Figures)

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I never said anything about plain white shirts. I just said tshirts with no decals or wording. Any kind of shirt, basically, but no logos, no branding. Nothing from the shops on the boardwalk, in other words.

That's the way to go. One of the places I worked had a very casual dress code (except when you were receiving a customer). Tee shirts were permitted as long as they were in good repair and bore no logos. Knit shirts could only bear our company's logo. And so forth.

The Confederacy belongs in the past. It's long past time to rid ourselves of the symbols of that shameful treason.

Edited by Evil Yoda

There is no easy answer. Plain shirts? Okay, if one group of students wears Red Shirts and the other Blue Shirts is that the Bloods and Crips support groups? Will Khaki shirts offend some as being militaristic? Will black shirts offend some and white others?

When did going to school get so complicated? Why does everyone have to be so offended by everything?

1 hour ago, Woodbuchr said:

There is no easy answer. Plain shirts? Okay, if one group of students wears Red Shirts and the other Blue Shirts is that the Bloods and Crips support groups? Will Khaki shirts offend some as being militaristic? Will black shirts offend some and white others?

When did going to school get so complicated? Why does everyone have to be so offended by everything?

You’re thinking too much. 

16 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

You’re thinking too much. 

I don't think so when you consider how many people are so easily offended by so much (or so little as the case may be from someone else's perspective).

Unnecessary in my opinion but also nothing I would get worked up over 

14 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

Because it gives the "offended" power to "stick it" to the "offender".  Its a form of hostility and aggression.

17 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

That would be the rule: No wording, branding, logos or pictures. It’s not rocket science. (Lol, I’m watching Hidden Figures)

And you didn't. My point is that some ax grinder seeing a white tee shirt would....as ax grinders do ....start picking at that point also.

IOW....a whiner can find something to whine about no matter what...

15 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

See.....you got my point. No good deed...................

When you have ax grinders lurking about.

BTW...... Khaki shirts. The little voice in my head reminded me of many cases where some kids wore Camouflage pattern shirts to school and were sent home to change because; A-the administration felt is was as you stated militristice or B=felt the student was promoting hunting....a definite lib/progressive no no.

Again....who decides what is 'proper'. dress?

In theory.....a kid wearing a Nike swooosh t shirt or sneakers ....under a given administration....could be sent home because those products are pretty much made by sweat shop labor in foreign countires or in some cases made by prisoners. Talk about exploitation.

See what I mean.....it all depends who has the megaphone.

Everything is complicated (and not just schools) because the last few decades of 'ME' is all that counts and it is my way or the highway. I am ALWAYS correct and YOU are always wrong. In the past everyone wanted to be 'an American' period. Not Polish-American....Not Aftrican-American.. Not  etc etc. In years past, EVERYONE spoke some english and made it a point to learn it ASAP....not the other way around as is it today. You can only speak Spanish....well here is your drivers test in Spanish. .

The greater good that once existed is gone.Now it is hooray for (fill in rhe blank) and screw your (fill in rhe blank)

Edited by Guido2

22 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

We saw in Charlottesville that the old hate and racism are perpetuated. Part of that is the symbols by which those who hate recognize each other. Can we agree to make that at least a little more difficult? Especially in school, where minds are impressionable? We can't make it impossible for those who hate to pass that on as Fred Trump did, but we can certainly make it hard to do in schools.

4 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

We saw in Charlottesville that the old hate and racism are perpetuated. Part of that is the symbols by which those who hate recognize each other. Can we agree to make that at least a little more difficult?

Would you like to ban those symbols from the public view?

32 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Would you like to ban those symbols from the public view?

Personally, yes. But I wouldn't advocate doing so or demand legislation for it. I also don't have a problem if governments wish to ban or remove such symbols.

42 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

We saw in Charlottesville that the old hate and racism are perpetuated. Part of that is the symbols by which those who hate recognize each other. Can we agree to make that at least a little more difficult? Especially in school, where minds are impressionable? We can't make it impossible for those who hate to pass that on as Fred Trump did, but we can certainly make it hard to do in schools.

With that in mind is the Confederate flag the only symbol that would meet your criteria of perpetuating hate and racism? If your wish, and it is a reasonable one, is to make it more difficult for those that hate to recognize each other then cover all the symbols. I have no dog in the hunt, my ancestors were from west central PA with some from eastern PA dating back to the Revolution on one side and the late 1800's on the other so the Confederate flag has no sway in my heart. I just don't agree with singling it out when there are so many symbols or even colors that could be considered provocative by one group or another. As I said it seems so many people now are so easily offended.

Ban them all or ban none.

Edited by Woodbuchr

2 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

Ban them all or ban none.

Read my original post. I called for plain shirts. I don't believe kids need to be exposing other kids' to corporate logos and advertising, either.