Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Remember Martin Luther King Jr.

16 posts in this topic

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cover-story/cover-story-2018-01-15

I asked myself, What would King be doing if he were around today?” the San Francisco-based artist Mark Ulriksen says, about the civil-rights leader, the inspiration for this week’s cover. (The cover’s title draws from Martin Luther King, Jr.,’s 1964 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, in which he spoke of a “creative battle to end the long night of racial injustice.”) “This is 49er country, and my mom and I have been going back and forth—she’s upset that players have brought politics into sports, but I say, How would you feel if you had to show up at work every day and salute a country that treats black people like second-class citizens? I’m glad that Colin Kaepernick and Michael Bennett are making it political. I’m sure that if King were around today, he’d be disappointed at the slow pace of progress: two steps forward, twenty steps back. Or ten yards back, as the metaphor may be.”

CVN_TNY_01_15_18RGB.jpg

Its important to remember that King was just as reviled then as kneeling NFL football players are today.

Edited by hst2

President Trump is signing a Martin Luther King Day proclamation at the White House today.

I'll wait and get the translation. 

I can't look at him or listen to him for more than a few moments. 

5 minutes ago, Boobie said:

President Trump is signing a Martin Luther King Day proclamation at the White House today.

They say he'll sign anything that's put in front of him.

Nice sentiments from our President on MLK Proclamation Day.

not shocked by some racist comments here.

Just now, Boobie said:

He can certainly read a card well.

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

CVN_TNY_01_15_18RGB.jpg

Its important to remember that King was just as reviled then as kneeling NFL football players are today.

Depends where you lived.

I'm from the Midwest and I remember people (white people) at my middle school crying after it was announced on the intercom he was killed.

No doubt white Mississippi residents reacted differently than they did in Lincoln Nebraska where it was probably single digits of blacks in the state at that time.

The distaste for the NFL players IMO is overstated. The quality of the product of the NFL has more to do with the distaste for the NFL and their players than the kneeling IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Boobie said:

There aren't any...

Teh betaverse has gotten further away than previously considered.

1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

Depends where you lived.

I'm from the Midwest and I remember people (white people) at my middle school crying after it was announced on the intercom he was killed.

No doubt white Mississippi residents reacted differently than they did in Lincoln Nebraska where it was probably single digits of blacks in the state at that time.

The distaste for the NFL players IMO is overstated. The quality of the product of the NFL has more to do with the distaste for the NFL and their players than the kneeling IMO. 

The NFL has been in decline for the past 3-5 years. Even I, who used to get DirecTV just so I could get the NFL Ticket ,have drastically reduced watching NFL games (I still try to watch as many Ravens games as I can). I was tired of seeing poor officiating even with instant replay backing. The "catch/no-catch" rule is infuriating. In any other league it is a catch, but the NFL somehow can't get it right...but I digress.

As far as MLK Jr., there is quite a bit of evidence to prove that many whites, especially in the south did not mourn his death when it happened. His legend came on stronger after his death.

17 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

The NFL has been in decline for the past 3-5 years. Even I, who used to get DirecTV just so I could get the NFL Ticket ,have drastically reduced watching NFL games (I still try to watch as many Ravens games as I can). I was tired of seeing poor officiating even with instant replay backing. The "catch/no-catch" rule is infuriating. In any other league it is a catch, but the NFL somehow can't get it right...but I digress.

As far as MLK Jr., there is quite a bit of evidence to prove that many whites, especially in the south did not mourn his death when it happened. His legend came on stronger after his death.

My thing with instant replay is the only reason we have it now is to cram more commercials and has nada to do with the quality of the game.

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Depends where you lived.

Yeah, I remember people crying too.

But the FBI thought of him as "the most dangerous man in America" and encouraged him to commit suicide. They were hardly alone.

8 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Yeah, I remember people crying too.

But the FBI thought of him as "the most dangerous man in America" and encouraged him to commit suicide. They were hardly alone.

The FBI meaning J. Edgar.  When he left that got better I believe.

But yes you are correct. But in my own environment we weren't taught that and my parents were Goldwater Republicans. But to compare how Dr. King was looked at to NFL players taking a knee I think cheapens the legacy of Dr. King.

But what do I know, I'm just a old white bread Midwesterner who was around both time frames and am only speaking of my own experiences as a kid and in my house.    

5 hours ago, hst2 said:

CVN_TNY_01_15_18RGB.jpg

Racists hate peace. They hate that non Whites have Freedom of speech.

Heck Repubs (ronald reagan) and the NRA supported gun control when it took the rights away from black gun owners.

3 hours ago, jonsensback said:

My thing with instant replay is the only reason we have it now is to cram more commercials and has nada to do with the quality of the game.

Think there should be a time limit on reviews.  60 seconds, if goes over, call on the field stands.

The thing I admired most about King was his courage. He was well aware that he was a target. Only the good die young I guess.

just be careful how you remember/celebrate MLK

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/01/selma-martin-luther-king-can-you-copyright-a-dream-114187

Can You Copyright A Dream?

"...The litigious MLK estate, controlled now by King’s descendants, has a long history of employing copyright to restrict the use of King’s speeches. The estate appears to have two objectives: maximize revenue and control King’s image. In the 1990s, the estate sued USAToday for publishing the full text of the “I Have a Dream” speech King delivered on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in August 1963, and the newspaper quickly settled by paying for a license and attorneys’ fees. The estate then sued CBS for including footage of the speech in a segment of its documentary series The 20th Century with Mike Wallace. In its defense in court, CBS argued that the speech had entered into the public domain because King had not complied with the notice and registration requirements of the Copyright Act of 1909. The trial court agreed with CBS, but an appellate court reversed and ruled in favor of  the MLK estate on narrow technical grounds..."

Edited by boink