Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

O's, Britton reach deal

18 posts in this topic

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22061452/baltimore-orioles-zach-britton-agree-one-year-12-million-deal

The Baltimore Orioles have agreed to terms with closer Zach Britton on a one-year, $12 million deal to avoid arbitration, according to multiple reports.

Britton is likely to miss the start of the 2018 season after rupturing his Achilles tendon in December. He told ESPN at the time that he hopes to be back a "little quicker" than the six-month projections.

The 29-year-old was also slowed by injuries in 2017, including an MCL strain in his left knee. He was limited to 38 games and had a 2.89 ERA, 1.527 WHIP and 15 saves.

Britton was the most dominant reliever in baseball in 2016. He led the league with 47 saves and had a 0.54 ERA and 0.836 WHIP. He was an All-Star and finished fourth in Cy Young voting.

A once dominant closer who will be rehabbing his way through most of the season, only to eventually return to a team that, upon his return, will already be done for the year. 

Someone please start writing that manuscript, because I gotta see that feel good story, made into a movie.

18 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

What a waste of $12 million.

That's true. But they had to pay him, since he was injured as a result of team approved baseball activities. 

According to Dan Connolly, Manny has come to terms for $16 million, while Brad Brach has agreed to a $5.165 million deal.

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

A once dominant closer who will be rehabbing his way through most of the season, only to eventually return to a team that, upon his return, will already be done for the year. 

Someone please start writing that manuscript, because I gotta see that feel good story, made into a movie.

"Brian's Song", move over! :)

On 1/12/2018 at 4:35 PM, weird-O said:

That's true. But they had to pay him, since he was injured as a result of team approved baseball activities. 

Believe they can still release him during spring training and pay only a small portion of the 12 million. Not that they would. Wait, would they?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Believe they can still release him during spring training and pay only a small portion of the 12 million. Not that they would. Wait, would they?

No, that money is guaranteed since Britton came to terms on a contract before going to arbitration. Only contracts awarded by an arbitrator are not guaranteed.

11 hours ago, mdrunning said:

No, that money is guaranteed since Britton came to terms on a contract before going to arbitration. Only contracts awarded by an arbitrator are not guaranteed.

Perhaps Boras hinted that he would offer them a discount in '19, which he will not do but Duquette is past caring, to get this deal done! :)

17 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Perhaps Boras hinted that he would offer them a discount in '19, which he will not do but Duquette is past caring, to get this deal done! :)

Britton made $11.4 last season, so the $12 million he'll get this year is a very modest raise. If the two sides had gone to arbitration, it's very possible the figure would have been higher. In arbitration, you can win the cases you should have lost and lose the cases you should have won. It had nothing to do with any promises of future largesse on the part of Boras or Duquette not caring.

Manny Machado settled for $16.1 million. Had he chosen to file, he likely could have gotten something similar to the $21.6 million Bryce Harper accepted from Washington to avoid arbitration. 

Edited by mdrunning

27 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Britton made $11.4 last season, so the $12 million he'll get this year is a very modest raise. If the two sides had gone to arbitration, it's very possible the figure would have been higher. In arbitration, you can win the cases you should have lost and lose the cases you should have won. It had nothing to do with any promises of future largesse on the part of Boras or Duquette not caring.

Manny Machado settled for $16.1 million. Had he chosen to file, he likely could have gotten something similar to the $21.6 million Bryce Harper accepted from Washington to avoid arbitration. 

He's getting $12. mil for half a season. Maybe once he comes back he will pitch well enough to be traded for something worthwhile.

You want to talk about false or misleading story lines, I was listening to the radio while going to pick up my wife. The radio person said, Manny Machado will be back with the O's this year. Where else could he go, they still have his rights.

Just now, stevez51 said:

He's getting $12. mil for half a season. Maybe once he comes back he will pitch well enough to be traded for something worthwhile.

You want to talk about false or misleading story lines, I was listening to the radio while going to pick up my wife. The radio person said, Manny Machado will be back with the O's this year. Where else could he go, they still have his rights.

I heard that as well and my reaction was similar. 

1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

I heard that as well and my reaction was similar. 

Maybe just to hype up the listener ..??

2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe just to hype up the listener ..??

Probably due to whoever wrote the news copy had no idea how baseball's compensation system works.

I have an elderly neighbor up the street who is still mad about the Orioles "trading" Andrew Miller to the Yankees.:) 

23 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Ah, I see. Welp.

18 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Thanks to the great work by the front office, Schoop will also be back with the O's this year.  :lol:

After the news broke that ZB was injured and likely to miss most of the season, I looked into his contract situation. Since he was hurt doing baseball related activities that were authorized by the team, his salary is guaranteed for the year. There is no technicality or backdoor way for the team to avoid paying him. Since he hadn't gone to arbitration yet, the guaranteed salary would have to be equal to to his 2017 salary, at the min. So the team gave him a $600K bump.    

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

After the news broke that ZB was injured and likely to miss most of the season, I looked into his contract situation. Since he was hurt doing baseball related activities that were authorized by the team, his salary is guaranteed for the year. There is no technicality or backdoor way for the team to avoid paying him. Since he hadn't gone to arbitration yet, the guaranteed salary would have to be equal to to his 2017 salary, at the min. So the team gave him a $600K bump.    

I think by rule, the least a team can offer a player in arbitration is 80 percent of his previous year's salary (the standard 20 percent cut). Had the Orioles done so, there's no guarantee the arbitrator would have picked their figure. Given his injury-marred season, I doubt if Britton would have tried to shoot the moon in his salary request, but he likely would have sought a larger raise than 600K and it's very possible he could have won. In arbitration, the player almost always wakes up either rich or richer.

Settling an arbitration case beforehand isn't always the best way to go, but it does at least provide cost certainty as teams start assembling their rosters.