Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saticon3

Go Jags!

89 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Not surprising.  I thought one of the all time BS answers came from Tomlin yesterday.  NFLN reported that when asked about the relationship between Roethlisberger and Haley, Tomlin said he was in the process of gathering information on that.  Really?  Haley reports directly to you, and Roethlisberger is the team's star QB.  You're with them every day from late July through the end of your season.  They are the two most important people in making your offense click.  How could you not know exactly what the relationship is?  That told me right there that he was just shelving any answer until an announcement was made.  

I didn't hear that, but you're right, how could a head coach not be aware of such a situation? I did think Big Ben's pronouncement right after the game that he wanted to keep playing for another few years was an indication Haley was gone, since he and Roethlisberger reportedly did not get along.

It's rather ironic how things can change in the course of the year. Just a year ago, Haley was being praised for this play-calling in the postseason, when Pittsburgh advanced to the AFC Championship, and there was speculation as to whether or not he'd be a head coaching candidate again. His divorce from Kansas City was rather messy, however, due at least in part to Haley's somewhat abrasive personality. 

For all the criticism and reports of a rift between Haley and his quarterback, Big Ben did have some of his best years statistically under Haley. In 2014, he had his highest passer rating ever (103) and in 2015 he led the league in passing yards per game at 328. Part of the rift may have stemmed from Haley's run-first philosophy and a passing game which emphasized the short and intermediate throws rather than the downfield game. I'm sure this had a lot to do with attempting to keep Roethlisberger upright more often and not take so many sacks, which can shorten a career. Last year, Big Ben was sacked a career-low 17 times, and this year only 21. Before Haley, Big Ben was taking at least 46 sacks per season from 2006 to 2009, which is way too many.

I think Haley simply out-smarted himself at times on Sunday, something you see almost every week around the league because oftentimes there's no other logical explanation for otherwise head-scratching play calls. Over his career, Roethlisberger is 18-for-19 on converting QB sneaks, something of which Haley doubtless was aware, yet chose not to play the percentages.

I think I’ve come to realize that in some cases these NFL coaches and coordinators get a lot more credit than they deserve. Glorified PE coaches in many cases (nothing against PE coaches).

So when they make terrible decisions or design pathetic offensive and defensive schemes (see Ravens) it doesn’t surprise or shock me as much as it used to.  

To me Marty Mornhinweg is a perfect example.  He’s pretty clueless but somehow ended up in a high profile coaching job (and has been given a very long leash).  Just listen to some of his interviews/ press conferences 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I didn't hear that, but you're right, how could a head coach not be aware of such a situation? I did think Big Ben's pronouncement right after the game that he wanted to keep playing for another few years was an indication Haley was gone, since he and Roethlisberger reportedly did not get along.

It's rather ironic how things can change in the course of the year. Just a year ago, Haley was being praised for this play-calling in the postseason, when Pittsburgh advanced to the AFC Championship, and there was speculation as to whether or not he'd be a head coaching candidate again. His divorce from Kansas City was rather messy, however, due at least in part to Haley's somewhat abrasive personality. 

For all the criticism and reports of a rift between Haley and his quarterback, Big Ben did have some of his best years statistically under Haley. In 2014, he had his highest passer rating ever (103) and in 2015 he led the league in passing yards per game at 328. Part of the rift may have stemmed from Haley's run-first philosophy and a passing game which emphasized the short and intermediate throws rather than the downfield game. I'm sure this had a lot to do with attempting to keep Roethlisberger upright more often and not take so many sacks, which can shorten a career. Last year, Big Ben was sacked a career-low 17 times, and this year only 21. Before Haley, Big Ben was taking at least 46 sacks per season from 2006 to 2009, which is way too many.

I think Haley simply out-smarted himself at times on Sunday, something you see almost every week around the league because oftentimes there's no other logical explanation for otherwise head-scratching play calls. Over his career, Roethlisberger is 18-for-19 on converting QB sneaks, something of which Haley doubtless was aware, yet chose not to play the percentages.

Haley was also the guy who was involved in a shouting match with Anquan Boldin on the sideline as the OC of the Arizona Cardinals in the NFCC.  I agree that Haley brought some positives to Pittsburgh.  But i think the reduction in sacks has been mainly due to Pittsburgh finally upgrading their offensive line.  Their line graded out in the bottom third of the league in the late 2000's, now it is generally acknowledged to be one of the top 5.  But yeah, some of Haley's decisions were head scratchers for sure.  The early line favorite for his replacement is their QB coach who seems to have a very good relationship with Roethlisberger.  

An odd, amusing (since no one was hurt) postscript to the Jags/Steelers game.:P

JACKSONVILLE — Leonard Fournette was struck by the irony. Literally.

Two days after the Jaguars snuffed out the Super Bowl hopes of the Pittsburgh Steelers, their star rookie running back was involved in a car wreck — his Maybach rear-ended by a driver who pledges allegiance to the Black and Gold.

“I wasn’t really worried about it,” Fournette told USA TODAY Sports about the fender-bender on I-295. “But the funny thing is, it was Pittsburgh fans. Know what I mean?”

It was weird, considering  the rookie scored a career-high three TDs at Heinz Field last Sunday. He was taken aback upon discovering the Pennsylvania plates on that car that hit him.

“They were from Pittsburgh,” Fournette added. “They came to Jacksonville to drop the in-laws off.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jaguars/2018/01/18/jaguars-leonard-fournette-car-totaled-steelers-fan-maybach-pittsburgh-jacksonville/1043387001/

On 1/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, Eastside Terp said:

Funny how playoff teams like Pittsburgh and Nashville aren't standing pat like we are ......

How are we standing pat? The Steelers are replacing one of their coordinators just like we are. We are making the exact same amount of moves as the Steelers.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, mdrunning said:

For Haley to totally change his game plan like that, I would think Tomlin would have been on board with it. It may have even come from Tomlin. It's totally understandable to me to want your aging quarterback to take less of a beating. I guess Haley just happened to be the fall guy. As for the play calls on Sunday, it's always a bad call if it doesn't work. The Ravens did the same thing on 4th down and ran it outside instead of straight up the middle and everyone on here loved the play call. Why did they love it? Because it worked. If it didn't work, people would have lost their mind on here that they should have run it up the middle. 

5 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

For Haley to totally change his game plan like that, I would think Tomlin would have been on board with it. It may have even come from Tomlin. It's totally understandable to me to want your aging quarterback to take less of a beating. I guess Haley just happened to be the fall guy. As for the play calls on Sunday, it's always a bad call if it doesn't work. The Ravens did the same thing on 4th down and ran it outside instead of straight up the middle and everyone on here loved the play call. Why did they love it? Because it worked. If it didn't work, people would have lost their mind on here that they should have run it up the middle. 

I never said Haley changed the game plan; he just made a couple of fourth-down calls which didn't make a ton of sense, especially not when you consider the game situation. A bad call is a bad call, whether it works or not. Roethlisberger was 18-of-19 career on QB sneaks, he's 6-5, and those types of plays initiate contact from the shortest possible distance. Besides, in the postseason, you can't be worried about someone getting hurt on a designated play. The only concern is getting the first down and moving the chains. New England still runs sneaks with Brady, and I believe Brees ran one Sunday against Minnesota. What do those two have in common? They're both older than Roethlisberger.

Whether Haley deserved to be fired or not is debatable, but he certainly isn't the only culprit. Questionable decisions aside, how could a team playing at home fall behind by three touchdowns after less than two quarters? That's more on Tomlin than Haley. And for a guy who's more of an emotional compass than a deep-browed thinker, that's a fundamental flaw. Game plans aside, it's the head coach's job to  have the players physically and mentally ready to play, and the Steelers almost certainly were not.

In the case of the Ravens, that play worked only because of Alex Collins. Cincinnati had it sniffed out and only failed to contain it when they over-pursued and Collins reversed his field. Otherwise, they had him stopped for a three or-four-yard loss.

I, for one, am enjoying the dysfunction in Pittsburgh.

13 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I never said Haley changed the game plan; he just made a couple of fourth-down calls which didn't make a ton of sense, especially not when you consider the game situation. A bad call is a bad call, whether it works or not. Roethlisberger was 18-of-19 career on QB sneaks, he's 6-5, and those types of plays initiate contact from the shortest possible distance. Besides, in the postseason, you can't be worried about someone getting hurt on a designated play. The only concern is getting the first down and moving the chains. New England still runs sneaks with Brady, and I believe Brees ran one Sunday against Minnesota. What do those two have in common? They're both older than Roethlisberger.

Whether Haley deserved to be fired or not is debatable, but he certainly isn't the only culprit. Questionable decisions aside, how could a team playing at home fall behind by three touchdowns after less than two quarters? That's more on Tomlin than Haley. And for a guy who's more of an emotional compass than a deep-browed thinker, that's a fundamental flaw. Game plans aside, it's the head coach's job to  have the players physically and mentally ready to play, and the Steelers almost certainly were not.

In the case of the Ravens, that play worked only because of Alex Collins. Cincinnati had it sniffed out and only failed to contain it when they over-pursued and Collins reversed his field. Otherwise, they had him stopped for a three or-four-yard loss.

I didn't go back re-read your previous post but I thought you said something about Roethlisberger not holding the ball as long and/or calling plays to get the ball out of his hands faster or something to that effect which just led me to believe they changed their game plans to get the ball out of his hands faster so he wouldn't take as much punishment.

There was another play as well where Flacco tossed it to Collins on a 4th down play and he ran outside on a 4th and 1 and he got it. From what you are saying, is that a bad play call because he should have went right up the middle? I mean, I agree if Roethlisberger is truly 18-19 then they probably should have sneaked it but if he didn't get it there will be a lot of fans complaining that everybody in the entire stadium knew that was coming and they should have given it Bell who might be the best running back in the game. You know that as well as I do. You can't win if you are a coach in the NFL if a play does not work.

14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

The Steelers D lost that game. Not containing the run  when it was most that team had. Tomlin not kicking deep with 2:18 left, down by 7 and with 2 time outs. Or the bad luck of the on side kick hitting one of your players before 10 yds.

There is no doubt their defense lost the game. Haley's offense scored 42 points on (I believe) the number 2 defense in the league. You got people on here admiring the Steelers for getting rid of their offensive coordinator right after their defense just gave up 45 points or so to a bottom of the barrel offense. I would think that defensive coordinator is the one who needs to go but people on here like the fact they are keeping their defensive coordinator. Haley did a good job there. It's just Ben did not like him for whatever reason

On 1/14/2018 at 2:00 PM, mdrunning said:

That non-catch call against New England is looming large for Pittsburgh right now. 

That non-catch call may have had a say in who ended up in the super bowl.  

6 hours ago, cprenegade said:

That non-catch call may have had a say in who ended up in the super bowl.  

Nope. NE beats Pittsburgh (and anyone else) either way.