Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

January 12, 2013 -- 5 Years Later (Flacco)

15 posts in this topic

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/42526/five-years-later-mile-high-miracle-seems-even-more-miraculous

The five-year anniversary of the defining moment of the Ravens' Super Bowl run seems even more miraculous when you consider what has unfolded in the five years since the Mile High Miracle:

• Flacco has only thrown one winning or tying touchdown in the final minute of regulation. In the snow game of 2014, Flacco's 9-yard touchdown pass to Marlon Brown with four seconds remaining propelled Baltimore to a 29-26 win over the Minnesota Vikings. In total, Flacco has three touchdown passes in the final minute of regulation (two of which came in losing efforts and had no effect on the outcome).

• With less than a minute left in regulation and the game on the line, Flacco has attempted two passes that traveled at least 50 yards in the air. Both fell incomplete. In a 2014 regular-season game, he couldn't connect with Brown on a 54-yard pass with 49 seconds left and Baltimore lost to the Colts, 20-13. In a 2014 divisional playoff game, Flacco's 52-yard pass resulted in an incompletion with four seconds remaining in a 35-31 loss to the Patriots.

• Flacco is 5-for-15 (33.3 percent) on passes that have traveled at least 50 yards in the air. The strange part is Flacco, who has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, has only attempted one such deep pass in the past two seasons. It was a 54-yard strike to Mike Wallace last season in Oakland.

• Flacco has two touchdowns on passes that have gone at least 50 yards in the air. In 2013, he delivered a 66-yard deep ball amid strong wind gusts to Jones, who burned former Ravens safety Ed Reed for the score. In 2014, Flacco became the fastest quarterback in NFL history to throw five touchdowns when his 56-yard pass to Steve Smith Sr. put Baltimore ahead of Tampa Bay 35-0 just 16 minutes, 3 seconds into the game. That means Flacco has gone 54 games without throwing a touchdown on a pass 50 yards or longer.

I've commented to a few folks that the 4 and long play against cincy was just karma getting squared away for the lucky break we got in Denver ......

Just think of what Harbaugh and flacco's career would look like without that one lucky play .....

We still owe karma for the ray rice 4th and long against the chargers .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

1 hour ago, Eastside Terp said:

I've commented to a few folks that the 4 and long play against cincy was just karma getting squared away for the lucky break we got in Denver ......

Just think of what Harbaugh and flacco's career would look like without that one lucky play .....

Those lucky plays squared unlucky plays from the AFC Championship the year before.

3 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

In Ravens history anything Ray Rice did never happened. 

3 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

In Ravens history anything Ray Rice did never happened. 

That's ridiculous

Marc and Marty have run an offense here for the last 3 years that doesn't play to what their talent does best, including Joe. So everything and everyone is going to look and perform under their capability. Probably won't change next year either...

Used this example a couple weeks back, but using the "lucky plays" in their favor as an example... The 4th and 29, Joe put the ball in the hands of Ray Rice in space and he had a chance to make a play. Lucky result or not, Rice in the open had a chance to make people miss and shed tackles, it's what he did well at the time. The miracle bomb, you needed big gains quickly, so Joe used his big arm to throw a rainbow to a very fast WR streaking deep down the sideline. Reasonable risk.

At the end of the CIN game, needing big yardage quick, their final possession started and ended with very short throws to a speedless Ben Watson. An OC has to keep that from happening before the snap. That wasn't a common occurrence or problem before 2015, and it's been a rampant problem since...

Edited by Ravens2006

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

Marc and Marty have run an offense here for the last 3 years that doesn't play to what their talent does best, including Joe. So everything and everyone is going to look and perform under their capability. Probably won't change next year either...

Used this example a couple weeks back, but using the "lucky plays" in their favor as an example... The 4th and 29, Joe put the ball in the hands of Ray Rice in space and he had a chance to make a play. Lucky result or not, Rice in the open had a chance to make people miss and shed tackles, it's what he did well at the time. The miracle bomb, you needed big gains quickly, so Joe used his big arm to throw a rainbow to a very fast WR streaking deep down the sideline. Reasonable risk.

At the end of the CIN game, needing big yardage quick, their final possession started and ended with very short throws to a speedless Ben Watson. An OC has to keep that from happening before the snap. That wasn't a common occurrence or problem before 2015, and it's been a rampant problem since...

I'm not sure I understand you point here. Is it that before Marty and Trestman got here, The Ravens would run good plays like the 4th and 29 dump off to Ray Rice and now they do stupid things like dump off to Ben Watson? If this is in fact your point, that's just not a very good point. To call a play to pass to your running back for 5 yards and expect him to gain 29 yards for a first down is crazy. Yes they got. Yes it worked but it is an extremely low percentage play but that's just my opinion. I'm sure others on here will think it is a high percentage play. You can run that play 100 times and the chargers will stop it 99 times. I do realize Ray Rice was a playmaker but again the percentages are too low to design a play like that. In fact, i'm quite sure that was Flacco's last option instead of getting sacked just like the Ben Watson play. The only difference is the one worked and the other didn't. If Ray Rice did not get that first down, people would be screaming "How do you throw a 5 yard pass on 4th down when you need 29 yards?" You know that and I know that. 

The point is that they (and Joe) used to do a better job putting the ball in the hands of better options, or at least trying to. Of course it was a lucky RESULT to convert a 4th and 29 like that, but it was made possible by at least putting the ball in the hands of a guy who COULD make something out of nothing. The miracle at Denver, they needed to score quickly (not just get a 1st down), so they sent a fast WR deep and Joe chucked it up. 

It's not the result alone, but the nature by which they go at it. Throwing short passes to Ben Watson when you need to go a long way really fast or your season is over... shouldn't even BE an option. Send 4 deep and go underneath to Alex Collins, okay maybe. But Ben Watson is never going to be that guy. That starts on the sideline. And it's not just that drive, it's a common theme in recent years, when they've had opportunities to ice a game offensively, like the PHI game last year, the most ludicrous things come in from the sideline (which Joe seems to just go along with) that usually just wind up giving the opponent new life.

Edited by Ravens2006

That whole list looks like something just slapped together in the heat of the moment. They plays aren't ranked in any particular order, they're just listed chronologically.

14 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

It wasn't on the original list. Some guys at Baltimore Sports and Life actually contacted the writer and grilled him over why that wasn't on the list so he wrote back and said they'd add it.

It never gets the same attention because it happened earlier in the game, but I think the Keith Washington (?) Blocked FG and Anthony Mitchell TD return basically saved the 2000 Ravens playoff run. If Del Greco's kick sails through the uprights, TEN has the lead and is teeing off on a Ravens offense that actually has to move the ball. Don't think they win that game, that day, without the return TD.