Heisenberg

PA SC throws out gerrymandered map, orders new one to be drawn by midterms

79 posts in this topic

Great.  18 congressional districts separated by the shortest total miles of district lines with voter population +/-  1%.

Yep but when does Maryland get to redraw theirs?

And this was based on the PA state Constitution, so it's very, very unlikely that the SCOTUS will overrule. 

Edited by Heisenberg

32 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

Hope it happens in Maryland 

Me too but I fully expect MD Dems to fight it and or cheat on any new redistricting plan.

As a new resident of Pennsylvania I am glad to see this. Not from a Democrat or Republican viewpoint but because lines should be drawn without consideration of party.

I agree with posters that Maryland should be next.

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

When someone successfully challenges it in court.

I'm all for it everywhere. All gerrymandering does is ensure an unnatural degree of partisanship and too many seats are virtually for life.

Edited by ms maggie

1 hour ago, Rocketwolf said:

Me too but I fully expect MD Dems to fight it and or cheat on any new redistricting plan.

Yup.  Well cheating at redistributing is kind of redundant 

1 hour ago, Rocketwolf said:

Herein lies the problem. It's just the other side that's rotten.

Guess you missed this part of the article re the PA court ruling:

"Republican state lawmakers are expected to ask the US Supreme Court to reverse the state high court's ruling."

i would love to see districts re-drawn based on common sense parameters along the lines of MOTR's suggestion above. 

Get some programming whiz kids to work on it, throw all the data into the computer and let the chips fall where they may. These state legislators are the goofs who got this whole mess going, don't leave it up to them again.

3 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

Probably they will fall with the Wisconsin case which is linked to the NC decision. The PA decision is different as the arguement is based on its more strict state Constitution.

19 hours ago, ms maggie said:

"Republican state lawmakers are expected to ask the US Supreme Court to reverse the state high court's ruling."

i would love to see districts re-drawn based on common sense parameters along the lines of MOTR's suggestion above. 

Get some programming whiz kids to work on it, throw all the data into the computer and let the chips fall where they may. These state legislators are the goofs who got this whole mess going, don't leave it up to them again.

yadda yadda yadda yes PA's Repubs are wrong, that is their states problem

I live in MD and here the Dems are wrong, which directly affects me

So I have every right to complain about it.

Without having to mention every other state and political party that is in the wrong.

That you come up with this "johnny cheated yesterday" excuse to defend your party is just plain pathetic, 

and unworthy of anyone that wants honest leadership from government.

But then maybe you dont really want honest government for ALL the people.

Because that's what it looks like when you say stuff like the above Again And Again!

I know its not your first trip to this well of shame!

23 minutes ago, Rocketwolf said:

yadda yadda yadda yes PA's Repubs are wrong, that is their states problem

I live in MD and here the Dems are wrong, which directly affects me

So I have every right to complain about it.

Without having to mention every other state and political party that is in the wrong.

That you come up with this "johnny cheated yesterday" excuse to defend your party is just plain pathetic, 

and unworthy of anyone that wants honest leadership from government.

But then maybe you dont really want honest government for ALL the people.

Because that's what it looks like when you say stuff like the above Again And Again!

I know its not your first trip to this well of shame!

Start your own thread. This is national news and a major development. There hasn’t been any recent news in the Maryland gerrymandering lawsuit to warrant a thread or even a mention. Do I really need to put a “Breaking news: Maryland still gerrymandered” disclaimer after every thread I make related to gerrymandering? 

Edited by Heisenberg

On 1/22/2018 at 7:48 PM, ms maggie said:

The whole reason states that have been gerrymandering so effectively is that they can run models with past voting data, often down the house, to draw the lines in probabilistic manners that get them the best chances of putting things in their favor. This is one of the negatives of improvements in analysis and computational power. 

It's likely easier to draw pseudorandom boundaries based on reasonable parameters than it is to do the kind work that has been done in intentionally gerrymandering districts.

The sooner we end all this, the better. If we can kill gerrymandering, and find a way to wrestle the political parties away from the rabid superactive who are putting up nutjobs in primaries, we can start to be less crazy.

One of the obvious things to do is to keep municipalities intact. No chopping up a city and its suburbs in a way that uses one to dilute the other.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

One of the obvious things to do is to keep municipalities intact. No chopping up a city and its suburbs in a way that uses one to dilute the other.

Not necessarily; keeping municipalities intact solely to prevent dilution creates the urban-rural separation that, taken to its largest level, is what gave us Trump. Creating a "shortest boundary line" algorithm that divides the voting population into roughly equal blocks is the only way to do this correctly, precisely because the shortest boundary line approach doesn't look at how people voted, but only at who is eligible to vote, consistent with the shortest amount of linear boundary.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, Heisenberg said:

Start your own thread. This is national news and a major development. There hasn’t been any recent news in the Maryland gerrymandering lawsuit to warrant a thread or even a mention. Do I really need to put a “Breaking news: Maryland still gerrymandered” disclaimer after every thread I make related to gerrymandering? 

More yadda yadda yadda from someone I wasnt answering, a guilty conscience?

You can put a disclaimer any where it fits, I dont care.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:19 AM, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Not necessarily; keeping municipalities intact solely to prevent dilution creates the urban-rural separation that, taken to its largest level, is what gave us Trump. Creating a "shortest boundary line" algorithm that divides the voting population into roughly equal blocks is the only way to do this correctly, precisely because the shortest boundary line approach doesn't look at how people voted, but only at who is eligible to vote, consistent with the shortest amount of linear boundary.

absolutely....let the computers draw the lines based on the algorithm

Edited by can you hear me now!

Typical posts on this subject from the same crowd that doesn’t disapprove of the torturous lines that were drawn in Maryland by Mike and Mike, whose shenanigans concerning this very subject, keeps them in power perpetually. 

9 minutes ago, volperdinger said:

Typical posts on this subject from the same crowd that doesn’t disapprove of the torturous lines that were drawn in Maryland by Mike and Mike, whose shenanigans concerning this very subject, keeps them in power perpetually. 

The double standard is on your side. Maryland is ONE state that Democrats have gerrymanderd, out of what, two? Republicans have gerrymandered North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia, Michigan, Texas, and Florida. All larger than Maryland. Yet all the righties complain about on here is Maryland. I for one hope the SCOTUS rules against gerrymandering this term which will allow ALL states, including Maryland, to have their district lines drawn independently.