Heisenberg

PA SC throws out gerrymandered map, orders new one to be drawn by midterms

99 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2018 at 11:35 PM, Jimmy Jazz said:

One of the obvious things to do is to keep municipalities intact. No chopping up a city and its suburbs in a way that uses one to dilute the other.

I’m with you.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:41 AM, Dystopia said:

Ungerrymandering Maryland will help some but it won't solve all the stink that infests Annapolis. Maryland is so blue that Dems will still retain majorities even with fair maps. 

Yeah it makes you realize how power hungry they are, that they have to cheat to gain one more seat.

20 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

And your rant makes it sound like you don't really want honest government for ALL the people since you totally ignored ms maggie saying the following:

On 1/22/2018 at 9:48 PM, ms maggie said:

i would love to see districts re-drawn based on common sense parameters along the lines of MOTR's suggestion above. 

Get some programming whiz kids to work on it, throw all the data into the computer and let the chips fall where they may. These state legislators are the goofs who got this whole mess going, don't leave it up to them again.

Shoot me, I missed yours, but now that Ive seen I agree.

I thought I did post an agreement at the time with MOTR's post.

11 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

There is a growing trend of Republican leaders disregarding the law and Constitution. They have set up the groundwork for fascist rule.

I thought these guys claimed to be Constitutionalists?

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2018/02/05/Supreme-Court-allows-Pennsylvania-congressional-redistricting-gerrymander-denies-Republican-plea/stories/201802050112

HARRISBURG — The U.S. Supreme Court denied Monday an attempt by top Pennsylvania Republican lawmakers to delay the redrawing of congressional district maps after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court found them unconstitutional.

The state high court ruled last month that the 18 districts violated Pennsylvania’s constitution because they unfairly benefited Republicans.

Days after the state high court threw out the state’s congressional map, state Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati, R-Jefferson, and state House Speaker Mike Turzai, R-Bradford Woods, asked the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene.

Good news. 

If THIS Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, you know the partisan district plan up there is bad.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

If THIS Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, you know the partisan district plan up there is bad.

No, it was just that the SCOTUS really didn't have the authority to intervene in this case.

21 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

No, it was just that the SCOTUS really didn't have the authority to intervene in this case.

Correct.  The SC has intervened in cases where the argument was that the lines had been drawn along racial lines, i.e. a civil rights violation. Texas and NC? Think that's right.

and in what is a small victory and maybe a harbinger of things to come...the USC declined Monday a request from Pennsylvania Republicans to block a lower court ruling that ordered Pennsylvania to redraw congressional lines.

Justice Samuel Alito issued the order.

apparently if you can't beat'em, cheat'em as far as gerrymandering goes might be coming to an end...however other attempts to suppress voting are still in the works.....

4 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Correct.  The SC has intervened in cases where the argument was that the lines had been drawn along racial lines, i.e. a civil rights violation. Texas and NC? Think that's right.

I think a lot of PA Dems have been waiting for this since 2015, when Dems swept the judicial races there. 

Good.  Some of those districts looked pretty bad.

not shocked, the Kentucky part of Pennsyltucky just refuses to acknowledge reality.....I guess if you can't beat'em you'll just remove them....brilliant strategy.....

my home state has been turned in to a cesspool by the repugnican party...

9 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

not shocked, the Kentucky part of Pennsyltucky just refuses to acknowledge reality.....I guess if you can't beat'em you'll just remove them....brilliant strategy.....

my home state has been turned in to a cesspool by the repugnican party...

Amazing how anyone can see the Republican Party as anything other than a cancer. 

6 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Amazing how anyone can see the Republican Party as anything other than a cancer. 

at this point in time it surely is....the only cure is vote them out and keep them out of all statehouses and washington....

Wolf has rejected the map proposed by the slimy PA GOP legislature. The PA SC will now have a nonpartisan map drawn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/02/13/pennsylvania-governor-rejects-republicans-new-congressional-map/?utm_term=.b3934e48273a

Pennsylvania's Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf on Tuesday rejected a revised congressional map submitted by the state's Republican legislature after independent analyses found that the new map was just as biased in favor of the GOP as the old map.

“Like the 2011 map, the map submitted to my office by Republican leaders is still a gerrymander,” Wolf said in a statement. “Their map clearly seeks to benefit one political party.”

In addition to the outside analyses, the governor's office presented the conclusions of Tufts University mathematician Moon Duchin. Duchin used an algorithm to generate “millions of alternative districting plans” according to the state's traditional redistricting criteria.

Edited by Baltimatt

On 2/5/2018 at 2:01 PM, ms maggie said:

NC is also a partisan issue. The difference is the PA Constitution is pretty clear on this and The PA Supreme Court is the arbiter of what that means. SCOTUS won’t take cases based on a States Supreme Court interpretation of its own Constitution. In NC, WI and MD it was filed in federal court.

Nice to see I'll have a fair map to be voting in this November. PA Republicans are just as bad as the MD Democrats are and they have quite a district drawing contest going. 

Looks like a fair map to me. Districts are not absurdly shaped and look like they follow reasonable lines. I'll have to check and see if mine changed. My district number changed and the shape somewhat but it is still comprised of like characteristics. What I would call semi-rural with mostly small towns.

Edited by Woodbuchr

On 1/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, Heisenberg said:

The double standard is on your side. Maryland is ONE state that Democrats have gerrymanderd, out of what, two? Republicans have gerrymandered North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia, Michigan, Texas, and Florida. All larger than Maryland. Yet all the righties complain about on here is Maryland. I for one hope the SCOTUS rules against gerrymandering this term which will allow ALL states, including Maryland, to have their district lines drawn independently. 

Change one, then change them all. Democrats clearly benefit.

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Change one, then change them all. Democrats clearly benefit.

Definitely. If the SC kills gerrymandering later this year they’ll likely all be undone.