Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

Marlon Humphrey Arrested

25 posts in this topic

Damn it young man. What the hell? Hope this turns out to be some kind of misunderstanding.

Baltimore Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey was arrested and charged with third degree robbery early Thursday morning, according to the Tuscaloosa (Ala.) County Sheriff’s Office.

In the state of Alabama, a third-degree robbery is considered a Class C felony.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2018/01/25/marlon-humphrey-arrest-robbery-charge-baltimore-ravens-alabama-crimson-tide/1065503001/

Stupid butt! 

The Baltimore Sun is reporting it as well.  

According to Alabama code, a person commits robbery in the third degree if in the course of committing a theft he:

(1) Uses force against the person of the owner or any person present with intent to overcome his physical resistance or physical power of resistance; or

(2) Threatens the imminent use of force against the person of the owner or any person present with intent to compel acquiescence to the taking of or escaping with the property.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-marlon-humphrey-arrested-0125-story.html

Obviously it would be best to wait until the facts come out before passing judgment (and to be clear, I'm not accusing the OP or anyone else of such), but regardless of the circumstances and eventual outcome, this is going to affect the Ravens in terms of what they can do personnel-wise this offseason.

Even if the charges against Humphrey are dropped, he's likely looking at a four-game suspension next season. With Jimmy Smith reportedly not ready to return until September, the Ravens will now probably have to retain Brandon Carr, who was a likely cap-casualty. That means the Ravens will be carrying Carr's $7 million cap charge into next year. 

Edited by mdrunning

This is almost certainly going to lead to a suspension. I was ready to cut ties with Smith. With the Ravens, if it isn’t one thing, it’s another. I am still waiting to hear how many season-ending injuries will occur before June.

4 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Obviously it would be best to wait until the facts come out before passing judgment (and to be clear, I'm not accusing the OP or anyone else of such), but regardless of the circumstances and eventual outcome, this is going to affect the Ravens in terms of what they can do personnel-wise this offseason.

Even if the charges against Humphrey are dropped, he's likely looking at a four-game suspension next season. With Jimmy Smith reportedly not ready to return until September, the Ravens will now probably have to retain Brandon Carr, who was a likely cap-casualty. That means the Ravens will be carrying Carr's $7 million cap charge into next year. 

Geez, I hope not, my post did end with a hope that it was a misunderstanding.

Regarding the rest, yep, regardless of the possible criminal outcome, the personal behavior policy will cost him some games and other repercussions will follow.

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

This is almost certainly going to lead to a suspension. I was ready to cut ties with Smith. With the Ravens, if it isn’t one thing, it’s another. I am still waiting to hear how many season-ending injuries will occur before June.

Smith was restructured in 2016, which means the chickens are just now coming home to roost on that contract. He'll certainly be here next season, but I'd guess he could be gone by 2019, when the cap numbers are more favorable.

5 minutes ago, Struds said:

Geez, I hope not, my post did end with a hope that it was a misunderstanding.

Regarding the rest, yep, regardless of the possible criminal outcome, the personal behavior policy will cost him some games and other repercussions will follow.

Nope, nothing accusatory whatsoever in your post. 

Now I'm seeing that this whole mess was reportedly over a $15 cell phone charger. If that's true, my only response is, "Really?"

Edited by mdrunning

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

Smith was restructured in 2016, which means the chickens are just now coming home to roost on that contract. He'll certainly be here next season, but I'd guess he could be gone by 2019, when the cap numbers are more favorable.

I was afraid someone would say that. Remember too, he is one failed urine test away from a year off.

3 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Nope, nothing accusatory whatsoever in your post. 

Now I'm seeing that this whole mess was reportedly over a $15 cell phone charger. If that's true, my only response is, "Really?"

He said he thought it was his. Maybe Nick will fix it.

Just now, mikemor1 said:

why is it the Raven's end up with these guys? 

The vetting process has no been good for a while. Recently it’s marginally talented, oft injured, PED users.

2 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

why is it the Raven's end up with these guys? 

A lot of teams end up with these guys. We just hear about the ones in this organization.

21 hours ago, Manny said:

So, If Smith can't start and Humphrey is suspended, and they have to now keep Carr, do you think it impacts their draft?

I don't think he's getting suspended. 

Sounds like a bs case ....

Black man with money in Alabama .....

On 1/27/2018 at 0:05 PM, Eastside Terp said:

Sounds like a bs case ....

Black man with money in Alabama .....

Wasn't he close to campus .??

Maybe they love em while on the team but once they leave forget them.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:19 AM, alienrace said:

I don't think he's getting suspended. 

See, therein lies the NFL's biggest problem with discipline and the criticism they get for it. Whether he is or isn't suspended should be a byproduct of whether or not he's convicted of some crime. It would be an easy way (and reasonable / defensible way) to handle all non-football legal matters... innocent until proven guilty, and until proven guilty, the onus is solely on the team to play them or not.

Can't see how much longer they're going to get away with discipline in cases where the legal system either fails to pursue, or doesn't prove guilt.

Edited by Ravens2006

26 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Can't see how much longer they're going to get away with discipline in cases where the legal system either fails to pursue, or doesn't prove guilt.

I expect that league discipline will be a subject brought up at the next CBA. The players bought that insurance last time in case of a work stoppage. That tactic will only work once. How will they try to force the owners' hands next?

38 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

See, therein lies the NFL's biggest problem with discipline and the criticism they get for it. Whether he is or isn't suspended should be a byproduct of whether or not he's convicted of some crime. It would be an easy way (and reasonable / defensible way) to handle all non-football legal matters... innocent until proven guilty, and until proven guilty, the onus is solely on the team to play them or not.

The only thing the players will likely push for is removal of the commissioner as the final arbiter of punishment, to be replaced, I'm guessing, by an independent arbitrator. The NFL's disciplinary policies and the legal system operate on separate planes. The commissioner doesn't have to abide by the niceties of the Constitution. 

On 1/31/2018 at 9:35 PM, mdrunning said:

The only thing the players will likely push for is removal of the commissioner as the final arbiter of punishment, to be replaced, I'm guessing, by an independent arbitrator. The NFL's disciplinary policies and the legal system operate on separate planes. The commissioner doesn't have to abide by the niceties of the Constitution. 

Unless the players pay the arbitrator - and they likely won't - he won't be independent. Arbitrators never are; they dance with who brung 'em. This was cited by the CFPB as a reason why banks should be forbidden from requiring them, which they were until the GOP reversed it.

5 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Unless the players pay the arbitrator - and they likely won't - he won't be independent. Arbitrators never are; they dance with who brung 'em. This was cited by the CFPB as a reason why banks should be forbidden from requiring them, which they were until the GOP reversed it.

In baseball, arbitrators are jointly chosen by owners and players.

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

In baseball, arbitrators are jointly chosen by owners and players.

It matters more who pays them than who chooses them. A man's always loyal to the dollar.

36 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

It matters more who pays them than who chooses them. A man's always loyal to the dollar.

It doesn't work that way. An independent arbitrator is chosen and paid by both sides. That's something the NFL players should insist upon. No union in its right mind should ever agree to a non-independent arbitrator, which Goodell, in his capacity as commissioner, most certainly is since he is employed and paid by the owners.

Ezekiel Elliott's attorneys asked for a non-independent arbitrator in his suspension hearing, but were denied since the CBA gives the commissioner the right to hear the case himself or appoint someone to do so.