Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Big Dan Duquette on starting pitching: “I believe we can still address it.”

184 posts in this topic

Big Dan continues to prove he is a moron. Correct me if i’m wrong, but didn’t this ding-bat vow (see also: promise) to acquire three new starting pitchers over the off-season? “I don’t know where they’ll come from, but we’ll have new pitchers,” or something like that.

Another boldface lie.

Yeah this is such a sad broken record.  I really think he may not have all that much money to make any moves.  I firmly believe Pete has pulled the payroll back into the 140s.  from 165.  He lost money last year on a 165 payroll and got what 75 wins.  DD and Buck blew it with their squandered payroll last year.  Now we are screwed for this year for getting any real pitching.  Paying 36 mil/yr for Krush and Trumbs LOL!!!!!

Dan's a lame duck. And based on what he accomplished here and what happened here, I don't see him being extended or wanting to return if that was offered. So I can understand him just not caring. And Angelos has a long history of just not caring.

14 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I mean in his defense the offseason is still active

Good point.  But I just don't hear much of a conviction in his last statement that he can get it done on the pitching.  Me thinks Petey pulled the check book back from DD and Buck.  But even so, DD and Buck have shown no inclination to hit on any starting pitching since 2012.  And Pete gets no free pass.  He blew it with his ill advised man krush contract.  Manny and Schoop see Krush getting 161 mil smackers for little production and they don't get a sniff of a long term deal.  Fan fest, what fan fest.  Schoop is seeing the exit sign now. Manny misses fan fest so Schoop thinks he can too.  Get Manny the heck out of here now!!!!

5 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Good point.  But I just don't hear much of a conviction in his last statement that he can get it done on the pitching.  Me thinks Petey pulled the check book back from DD and Buck.  But even so, DD and Buck have shown no inclination to hit on any starting pitching since 2012.  And Pete gets no free pass.  He blew it with his ill advised man krush contract.  Manny and Schoop see Krush getting 161 mil smackers for little production and they don't get a sniff of a long term deal.  Fan fest, what fan fest.  Schoop is seeing the exit sign now. Manny misses fan fest so Schoop thinks he can too.  Get Manny the heck out of here now!!!!

I dont think that paying Crush was DD but more Pete

5 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I dont think that paying Crush was DD but more Pete

Yep that is what I just said.  You into the Orchard, lol???  I'm thinking about getting into some Jack's Hard Cider tonight  You ever try it???

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yep that is what I just said.  You into the Orchard, lol???  I'm thinking about getting into some Jack's Hard Cider tonight  You ever try it???

Lol nope switched to Blue Moon Mango 

Im ready for a long season 

There is no way Duquette is lying or not caring. That is just pure B.S. I haven't heard anything regarding his retirement after this season, so even if this is his last year in Baltimore, it would go a long way toward future employment if he were to put together a successful season. Trouble is, the Orioles are a franchise that has traditionally had one foot on the gas pedal while the other is on the brake.

Ownership is not going to approve a big contract for starting pitchers, so that's out. If the Orioles were to try and trade for pitching, I'm sure Hays, Harvey, Sisco, Mullins, et. al. would certainly get someone's attention (although the thought of trading any more prospects personally scares the hell out of me.). If the idea is to trade from the major league roster for more immediate help, I'm sure Duquette could flip Manny, Schoop, Brach and perhaps even Givens before the month is out, but I'm guessing such deals would never make it out of committee.

Trevor Cahill is still available. Offer him a one-year deal and see if he bites. Now that the Astros have about 17 starters, re-start talks with them regarding Charlie Morton. Talk to Tampa--which is still shedding payroll--about Jake Odorizzi and if need be, take on Denard Span's contract for 2018. I'm sure he doesn't figure into Tampa's plans. Pittsburgh is still looking to cut payroll, so ask them about Ivan Nova and see if they're interested. 

The possibilities are still there for a team which largely ignores the international market and will not spend for front-line starters. All that's needed is a little creativity and (unfortunately) approval from the ones who sign the checks.

I thought we had hit rock bottom on our starting pitching until I read MASN pushing minor league free agent signee Michael Kelley as a rotation candidate.  He had a 6.64 ERA in AAA last year in 42 innings.  Wow just wow.  Not even DD can polish this turd into something shiny.  This is just getting stupid now.

The one name still on the 

29 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

The one name on that list which sort of surprises me is Darvish. He's rumored to have been fielding offers from clubs such as Milwaukee and Minnesota. Not the usual suspects, but interest nonetheless. One story even said he would sign with someone by the end of last week. That obviously didn't happen. I'd thought once the Brewers signed Lorenzo Cain (huge overpay), the dominoes might start falling, but thus far all is still mostly quiet.

I heard a bit of a conversation with Dan Connolly. Here are a couple of comments he made. As for FA pitchers, he said the O's are shopping in the Jason Vargas price range. He said the O's are pretty much fully committed to giving Mike Wright a rotation spot. He's out of options, and they feel like they need to give him one last chance to take control of his career, and make himself a starting pitcher. Apparently, the team is afraid that he'll move on to another team, put things together, and become the starting pitcher they've always believed he could be. I think their concerns are justified. Perhaps even more revealing is that this attitude tells me the organizations recognizes, as we all do, that they have no clue how to develop starting pitchers. They should be very afraid that he's going to become another Arietta. Connolly's personal opinion, is that Wrong has a great arm. 

He said the team appears to be content to move forward with the following rotation: Gausman, Bundy, Wrong, Ynoa, Cortez and another minor leaguer (I can't remember the name he said). 

51 minutes ago, weird-O said:

He said the team appears to be content to move forward with the following rotation: Gausman, Bundy, Wrong, Ynoa, Cortez and another minor leaguer (I can't remember the name he said). 

Long season ahead. Well a short season for me. I have a feeling it's back to the days when I check out by late May and look forward to Ravens camp. 

7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Long season ahead. Well a short season for me. I have a feeling it's back to the days when I check out by late May and look forward to Ravens camp. 

I don't think you'll be alone. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

My cable bill went up this month. Why is that relevant? Because on it is a charge for "regional sports network". It's $6.75 and it went up nearly $2. A little research revealed that you get charged this fee whether you watch sports or not. It's a license to print money for the Angelos family.

They literally have no reason to care whether people come to the games or like the team. So they don't.

(Comcast is being sued over this. What the outcome of that will be, who knows? But it's long past time for a cable provider to give customers the right to pick and choose individual channels. I'd drop MASN in a New York minute if I could - I'll buy it again when Angelos puts a quality team on the field.)

8 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

My cable bill went up this month. Why is that relevant? Because on it is a charge for "regional sports network". It's $6.75 and it went up nearly $2. A little research revealed that you get charged this fee whether you watch sports or not. It's a license to print money for the Angelos family.

They literally have no reason to care whether people come to the games or like the team. So they don't.

(Comcast is being sued over this. What the outcome of that will be, who knows? But it's long past time for a cable provider to give customers the right to pick and choose individual channels. I'd drop MASN in a New York minute if I could - I'll buy it again when Angelos puts a quality team on the field.)

You didn't already know about the RSN charge? I recently posted something about it. But otherwise, that's really old news. That's been going on since MAN went live. Initially, Comcast told Peter and Co. to blow it out their ear. But they quickly realized how many O's and Nats fans were jumping to Direct TV so that they could watch the local baseball teams. So they had to give in. As a sports team ownership group, Pete and Co. don't have a single redeeming quality. They're all terrible people. 

I agree with you, about a la carte tv service. The industry is actually starting to look in that direction, finally. But it's slow going, and I don't expect it will happen in the immediate future. Comcast recently made their second attempt at offering a package of just local channels, for $20. I guess they're rolling the dice and hoping there are customers who don't realize that local channels are free, all it takes is a $20 digital antennae. Otherwise, it's a dinosaur of an industry, and all TV providers are seeing diminishing revenue. Millennials aren't interested in massive, monthly cable bills. Streaming services are encroaching on the big boys territory. And that's just the ones who prefer to stay within the confines of purely legal services. There's not a week that goes by, where I don't get mail from Direct TV, begging me to come back.

12 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

I ❤️ Direct tv

I'm actually considering Directv now.  I like the channel pack thing they have now. I'm paying over $200 for Comcast and mostly a bunch of channels I don't watch. 

42 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm actually considering Directv now.  I like the channel pack thing they have now. I'm paying over $200 for Comcast and mostly a bunch of channels I don't watch. 

Biggest reason i had it was sunday ticket 

Now with the way things are NOW maybe my next move as well

Listening to Buck, it sounds like the O’s are counting on at least two of the three Rule 5 pitchers being among the 25 guys going north.

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

This seems like a 60-102 rotation. There's 1.5 proven pitchers there.

Considering the combined record, ERA, and WHIP posted in 2017 by the half dozen former Oriole system pitchers that Dan saw fit to part with in recent years... compared to the same for the guys he's seen fit to bring in... I almost hope he doesn't bother doing anything at this point. Actually fear he could very well make it worse...

Our best hopes are that Tillman actually does turn it around and does so here, and Bundy and Gausman find consistency.  

Edited by Ravens2006

Nothing to do with Buck Showalter. Clearly this was Big Dan and Peter Angelos’ poor decision.

3 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Nothing to do with Buck Showalter. Clearly this was Big Dan and Peter Angelos’ poor decision.

(Taps Pit on shoulder)

ubaldo says hi