Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

Big Dan Duquette on starting pitching: “I believe we can still address it.”

169 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I know the first day of ST isn't the end of the FA market, and moves can still be made. But, they only have 2 established starting pitchers, and they've made it clear that they won't go longer than 3 yrs for a starting pitcher. Which seriously diminishes the chances that they'll be able to add a starter that can have an impact. I realize I'm pessimistically skipping ahead. But, if this team opens the season with a rotation of KG, DB, and a cobbling of various minor league arms, the yard is going to be empty after opening day. 

For me, those few years of being competitive haven't erased that long span of losing. If Ownership thinks the fans' collective memory has been cleared, and reset, I think they're going to be unpleasantly surprised by the cold shoulder they receive.   

Angelos is still Angelos.

Winning didn't change a thing. If anything, it emboldened him...made him think he was somehow responsible. But he was lucky in having a bunch of young(er) players come together at the same time and actually perform. Hiring Buck was a good move, but that alone didn't make us winners. We were still terrible in 2011. Dan came in and made some shrewd moves that paid off. He assembled a team that could have won the WS in 2014. But since then it's been all downhill.

I believe the Orioles won't have a winning season again while Angelos is owner. His philosophies are terrible, he has no desire to keep up with the trends in the MLB and it looks like he's back to favoring yes men. I have no doubt Brady will be the next GM in some form or fashion. And that's bad news.

The Yard will be empty after OD, and rightfully so. Maybe Nestor can stage another Free the Birds rally.

Edited by Pickle20

35 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I know the first day of ST isn't the end of the FA market, and moves can still be made. But, they only have 2 established starting pitchers, and they've made it clear that they won't go longer than 3 yrs for a starting pitcher. Which seriously diminishes the chances that they'll be able to add a starter that can have an impact. I realize I'm pessimistically skipping ahead. But, if this team opens the season with a rotation of KG, DB, and a cobbling of various minor league arms, the yard is going to be empty after opening day. 

For me, those few years of being competitive haven't erased that long span of losing. If Ownership thinks the fans' collective memory has been cleared, and reset, I think they're going to be unpleasantly surprised by the cold shoulder they receive.   

Yeah it doesn't look good at all.  Anything good that falls into the O's lap in late Feb will be desperation from the players side.  And I;m sure that's what DD is banking on.  Even so, it seems that Baltimore is now a wasteland for FA to avoid.  We are back to the days of using confederate money (Syd Thrift rest in peace) where we would have to over pay just to get someone to look our way.

15 hours ago, pitbull said:

I guarantee you that does not happen. People still get turned away

The last time I was there was in '16, and our small group of four was offered seating lower down. We went from the lower bowl to a better row in the lower bowl, not from the upper bowl; maybe that matters. The whole thing's a different sort of bowl, now, one I don't see myself visiting this year, either.

15 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

The last time I was there was in '16, and our small group of four was offered seating lower down. We went from the lower bowl to a better row in the lower bowl, not from the upper bowl; maybe that matters. The whole thing's a different sort of bowl, now, one I don't see myself visiting this year, either.

I think your group was moved up, because you were basically in the same vicinity, probably equal value tickets. If you try to move from terrace box to lower box or field box, you'll get rerouted back to your seats. That's been my experience, on multiple occasions. And it didn't matter that the field box sections were a sea of empty seats, the ushers still jock block us. The one exception was a Friday night game against TB, in 2011. We bought $5 student night tix, and after a couple of innings, we took a shot at moving down. We sat in the first row, right over the shoulder of Sam Fuld. For whatever reason, the usher didn't care that night. 

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

I think your group was moved up, because you were basically in the same vicinity, probably equal value tickets. If you try to move from terrace box to lower box or field box, you'll get rerouted back to your seats. That's been my experience, on multiple occasions. And it didn't matter that the field box sections were a sea of empty seats, the ushers still jock block us. The one exception was a Friday night game against TB, in 2011. We bought $5 student night tix, and after a couple of innings, we took a shot at moving down. We sat in the first row, right over the shoulder of Sam Fuld. For whatever reason, the usher didn't care that night. 

Ridiculous. But a sign of the times. Can't tell you how many times we moved to better seats at Memorial Stadium with absolutely zero resistance from Ushers.

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

That could very well be. As I say, it's not going to matter to me. A friend still has one of those partial season plans. When I asked him why he'd pay hundreds for a .370 team (or thereabouts) he couldn't answer me. I think it's as much social as fandom.

Ive never had a problem sitting in the RF seats when i purchase student tix, usher in that section has been awesome to my kids and i 

Guess itll be even easier now that we will super suck 

Tim Linceum on DD's radar.  Showcase this week the O's will attend.  Lord help us.  Timmy had a 9 something ERA last time he pitched in bigs.  Perfect replacement for UJ and Tilly.  Can DD find anyone who can post an ERA lower than 5???  

We might have a historically bad pitching staff this year. And that's IF both Gausman and Bundy have solid years. What if they tank too??

Dan's last great act of defiance: sign Tim Lincecum to a ten year, $300M deal! :D He'll have to slip Angelos some heavy duty painkillers to get the signature, but it will be worth it!

13 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Tim Linceum on DD's radar.  Showcase this week the O's will attend.  Lord help us.  Timmy had a 9 something ERA last time he pitched in bigs.  Perfect replacement for UJ and Tilly.  Can DD find anyone who can post an ERA lower than 5???  

I don't blame the O's for attending. There are multiple playoff contender type teams that will be there. Right now it's easy to scoff at. But imagine the heat the O's would take, if TL returns as just a serviceable starting pitcher, and they didn't even send a scout. If the O's didn't attend, I know one poster who would start the first draft of his post on that day, just in case Timmy makes it back. I can see it now, "He has no vision for this team, we could have had Lincecum, and he didn't even send a scout to watch him workout" 

3 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I don't blame the O's for attending. There are multiple playoff contender type teams that will be there. Right now it's easy to scoff at. But imagine the heat the O's would take, if TL returns as just a serviceable starting pitcher, and they didn't even send a scout. If the O's didn't attend, I know one poster who would start the first draft of his post on that day, just in case Timmy makes it back. I can see it now, "He has no vision for this team, we could have had Lincecum, and he didn't even send a scout to watch him workout" 

Good point, but this guy is nothing more than a cannon fodder spring training arm, IMO  I'm fine with the O's looking, but I fear this is the type of guy the O's are really banking on to fill one of three rotation spots.  Its a pure lottery ticket play.  Again that's fine if you actually have 4 or 5 ML starters in pocket.  But the O's are banking on lottery tickets to fill three rotation spots right now.  Take a look at Timmy and see what happens, but unless he has had an arm transplant,  its a zero IMO.  Just wish the O's would put some energy into looking at actual ML starters, not lottery tickets like Timmy who had a 9 era and 2.34 WHIP in 2016.   I think he was washing cars in 2017.

15 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I don't blame the O's for attending. There are multiple playoff contender type teams that will be there. Right now it's easy to scoff at. But imagine the heat the O's would take, if TL returns as just a serviceable starting pitcher, and they didn't even send a scout. If the O's didn't attend, I know one poster who would start the first draft of his post on that day, just in case Timmy makes it back. I can see it now, "He has no vision or foresight  for this team, we could have had Lincecum, and he didn't even send a scout to watch him workout" 

Fixed it for ya 

7 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Fixed it for ya 

You are on it early today Bleeder :)!   Its the first time I've seen foresight and the O's mentioned in the same post.  This and Timmy Lincecum!  Its going to be a banner day :D

16 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

You are on it early today Bleeder :)!   Its the first time I've seen foresight and the O's mentioned in the same post.  This and Timmy Lincecum!  Its going to be a banner day :D

This is looking like one looooooooong spring

31 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Fixed it for ya 

;)

33 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Good point, but this guy is nothing more than a cannon fodder spring training arm, IMO  I'm fine with the O's looking, but I fear this is the type of guy the O's are really banking on to fill one of three rotation spots.  Its a pure lottery ticket play.  Again that's fine if you actually have 4 or 5 ML starters in pocket.  But the O's are banking on lottery tickets to fill three rotation spots right now.  Take a look at Timmy and see what happens, but unless he has had an arm transplant,  its a zero IMO.  Just wish the O's would put some energy into looking at actual ML starters, not lottery tickets like Timmy who had a 9 era and 2.34 WHIP in 2016.   I think he was washing cars in 2017.

Couldn't agree more. 

Out of curiosity, I looked into TL's situation. Heyman wrote that he probably rushed to get back from his hip surgery, and the results were obvious. So he took the year to fully recover, and to get back into playing shape. 

14 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Out of curiosity, I looked into TL's situation. Heyman wrote that he probably rushed to get back from his hip surgery, and the results were obvious. So he took the year to fully recover, and to get back into playing shape. 

Good info.  Well if its was his hip, maybe he has a little something left in his arm.  

28 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

This is looking like one looooooooong spring

I still have a thread of hope that the market will come back to DD and some serviceable players fall into his lap in late Feb -  Lynn, Vargas, Jay/Dyson.  That should get us to around an 80 win team vs 69 :lol:

Roch pushing the narrative the O's are getting closer to resigning Tillman.  Pretty predictable since Buck loves the guy.  I don't really want him, but if the base is cheap enough why not.  We don't have many other options right now.  Rotation will be set when Tilly rides to the rescue:lol:

Also, it must really be slow down there.  Roch giving updates on Matusz and Reimold.  Cripes who the heck cares.  Both trying comebacks going to some retread FA camp.  

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Roch pushing the narrative the O's are getting closer to resigning Tillman.  Pretty predictable since Buck loves the guy.  I don't really want him, but if the base is cheap enough why not.  We don't have many other options right now.  Rotation will be set when Tilly rides to the rescue:lol:

Also, it must really be slow down there.  Roch giving updates on Matusz and Reimold.  Cripes who the heck cares.  Both trying comebacks going to some retread FA camp.  

I don't have a problem with resigning Tillman to a one-year deal. I have a big problem with the fact that Alex Cobb isn't donning an Orioles jersey at a press conference.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The O's and Tillman need each other. They need a warm body. And he'll benefit from a familiar, friendly environment of people who know him, and will have more patience with him. I'm on board with all of that.

But here's where things will take a bad turn. The O's won't pencil him in as a potential #5. Nope, they'll pencil him in as the #3, then settle for two more pitchers that top out as #4-5 arms. The end result is a rotation where your best pitcher (Gausman) is a #3, if he was on a competitive team. And the rest of the rotation will be #5 caliber arms.