Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Jack White bans phones at his concerts

52 posts in this topic

http://amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/music/jack-white-bans-phones-gigs-2227093?source=dam

“Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse.”

I understand his desire for concertgoers to have a “100% human experience.” But, think a lot of people will be going thru cellphone withdrawal for a couple hours. 

Who the heck is John White?

Shouldn't this be in the music section?

Dave Chappelle started the phones in the pouch thing.

2 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Nailed it.  :D

3 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_White

John Anthony "Jack" White (né Gillis; July 9, 1975) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, record producer and actor.

He has won twelve Grammy Awards, and both of his solo albums have reached number one on the Billboard charts. Rolling Stone ranked him number 70 on its 2010 list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". David Fricke's 2011 list ranked him at number 17.

When he got married he dropped his last name (Gillis) and changed his name to his wife's.

He makes a good point but it's not his job to teach people to disconnect for a couple of hours. People need to learn that on their own. But few will.

I can easily understand why comedians want to ban phones.  Music artists a little less.  People want to hear music over and over.  Comedy is more of a one shot deal.

I have seen him several times over the years with different bands.  His album Van Lear Rose with Loretta Lynn was my favorite. 

I’m conflicted about this. I mean, on the one hand I get that this is about making people put their smartphone down and enjoy the experience going on all around them. It’s also about making people less annoying to those around them. 

However, what’s to stop me from reasoning the following: I’ll jump through their hoops and give them my old iPhone to put in that pouch, and I’ll also have my newer phone with me as well so that I can be reached in the event of a family emergency?

I’m not sure this will take hold with other artists for the reason I just mentioned, aside from the fact that the only thing more myopic than a person using their phone at a concert is the artist demanding you not do that. 

15 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

I’m conflicted about this. I mean, on the one hand I get that this is about making people put their smartphone down and enjoy the experience going on all around them. It’s also about making people less annoying to those around them. 

However, what’s to stop me from reasoning the following: I’ll jump through their hoops and give them my old iPhone to put in that pouch, and I’ll also have my newer phone with me as well so that I can be reached in the event of a family emergency?

I’m not sure this will take hold with other artists for the reason I just mentioned, aside from the fact that the only thing more myopic than a person using their phone at a concert is the artist demanding you not do that. 

I agree with your last paragraph. I don’t like having to be told, like I’m a child, to lock up my phone in a silly little pouch. 

2 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

I have seen him several times over the years with different bands.  His album Van Lear Rose with Loretta Lynn was my favorite. 

I saw them together. That show rocked.

Check this one out. 

2 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

I saw them together. That show rocked.

Check this one out. 

Even Letterman said, "Holy crap" when that was done

I just like his wife-or is it ex- by now-- I read about him some time ago, seemed there was some question as to whether they were brother & sister or husband and wife.or just good friends--- they themselves gave conflicting answers. But I wouldn't turn my phone over or have it secured to see any body. 

3 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

I just like his wife-or is it ex- by now-- I read about him some time ago, seemed there was some question as to whether they were brother & sister or husband and wife.or just good friends--- they themselves gave conflicting answers. But I wouldn't turn my phone over or have it secured to see any body. 

She couldn't drum her way out of a wet paper bag

That was a good one too!  Loved to have seen her back in the day 

7 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

Dave Chappelle started the phones in the pouch thing.

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

This would require the support of a seven nation army.

49 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

She couldn't drum her way out of a wet paper bag

I don't care she looked good doing it

1 hour ago, EnochRoot said:

Nobody is forcing you to go to the concert.  This is what my kids always say, they need their phones constantly in case of a family emergency--I fine this particularly amusing when we're out together as a family somewhere, HEY! WE'RE ALL HERE!

Back in the day, nobody had a cell phone and families were fine.  

Edited by ms maggie

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

Don't like the policy, don't go to the concert.

I think we all are in agreement with that too bad you don't seem to subscribe to similar solutions to many of today's ills that so many want government to handle

We get that don't like it don't go but why should that preclude expressing opinion about the policy?

1 minute ago, Saticon3 said:

I think we all are in agreement with that too bad you don't seem to subscribe to similar solutions to many of today's ills that so many want government to handle

You mean like abortion?  You don't want one, don't get one? Or voter ID laws?  You don't have a problem, don't concoct a solution?

1 minute ago, Saticon3 said:

We get that don't like it don't go but why should that preclude expressing opinion about the policy?

So I shouldn't express my opinion?  Jesus, pick a lane.