Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Jack White bans phones at his concerts

52 posts in this topic

My apologies I thought you were ragging on other people expressing their opinion

4 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

You mean like abortion?  You don't want one, don't get one? Or voter ID laws?  You don't have a problem, don't concoct a solution?

Im good with those I would add don't like your pay get another job don't like Wal-Mart locking certain merchandise up don't shop there and a few more

Just now, Saticon3 said:

Im good with those I would add don't like your pay get another job don't like Wal-Mart locking certain merchandise up don't shop there and a few more

I'm pro union so don't agree with the first but agree re Walmart.  Of course I never shop there anyway. 

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

Nobody is forcing you to go to the concert.  This is what my kids always say, they need their phones constantly in case of a family emergency--I fine this particularly amusing when we're out together as a family somewhere, HEY! WE'RE ALL HERE!

Back in the day, nobody had a cell phone and families were fine.  

"Back in the day" :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, PinkFlamingo said:

http://amp.timeinc.net/nme/news/music/jack-white-bans-phones-gigs-2227093?source=dam

“Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse.”

I understand his desire for concertgoers to have a “100% human experience.” But, think a lot of people will be going thru cellphone withdrawal for a couple hours. 

Young people today also use their phones the same way that old people used to use their Bic lighters at concerts when they were young.

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

She couldn't drum her way out of a wet paper bag

How many popular songs or music releases have you played on? 

3 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

I’m conflicted about this. I mean, on the one hand I get that this is about making people put their smartphone down and enjoy the experience going on all around them. It’s also about making people less annoying to those around them. 

However, what’s to stop me from reasoning the following: I’ll jump through their hoops and give them my old iPhone to put in that pouch, and I’ll also have my newer phone with me as well so that I can be reached in the event of a family emergency?

I’m not sure this will take hold with other artists for the reason I just mentioned, aside from the fact that the only thing more myopic than a person using their phone at a concert is the artist demanding you not do that. 

2 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

I just like his wife-or is it ex- by now-- I read about him some time ago, seemed there was some question as to whether they were brother & sister or husband and wife.or just good friends--- they themselves gave conflicting answers. But I wouldn't turn my phone over or have it secured to see any body. 

You keep your phone with you, you don't give them to someone. As soon as it goes in the pouch, the pouch locks. You can use your phone anytime you like, you just have to take it out in the lobby and unlock the pouch. When you are done using the phone, but it back in pouch and go back into the show.

I will be at the Jack White show at the Anthem ( incredible venue, btw ), and can't wait for a phone free show! I hope every performer out there does the same.

Just now, naive said:

You keep your phone with you, you don't give them to someone. As soon as it goes in the pouch, the pouch locks. You can use your phone anytime you like, you just have to take it out in the lobby and unlock the pouch. When you are done using the phone, but it back in pouch and go back into the show.

In other words, you're unreachable to loved ones or those you're responsible to while you're at a Jack White concert.

1 minute ago, EnochRoot said:

In other words, you're unreachable to loved ones or those you're responsible to while you're at a Jack White concert.

Yes, a much welcome 3 hour relief, to some!

But again, you can use the phone any time you like, just not in the concert hall itself.

Just now, naive said:

But again, you can use the phone any time you like, just not in the concert hall itself.

If it's such a relief, couldn't one simply turn their phone off for the same effect anytime or place they want?

Just now, naive said:

You can use the phone when you choose to, not when you're needed to. 

Just now, Norman said:

If it's such a relief, couldn't one simply turn their phone off for the same effect anytime or place they want?

There are common sense solutions that would work, but it'd require more effort to enforce.

"Take a picture and you're gone. Text and you're gone. Answer a phone and you'd better be on your way out to the lobby," would seem like a sensible policy.

Just now, Norman said:

It's also a relief for the artist who can look out and see the faces instead of phones.

Ryan Adams has that Meniere's disease. Flashes from camera's will set it off. They make an announcement before each show and give a stern warning to not use a flash or he will leave the stage. Yondr pouches would be great at his shows!

1 minute ago, EnochRoot said:

There are common sense solutions that would work, but it'd require more effort to enforce.

"Take a picture and you're gone. Text and you're gone. Answer a phone and you'd better be on your way out to the lobby," would seem like a sensible policy.

Agreed.  I was more hitting on the 3 hours of welcome relief.  The things have an off switch...I don't need to go to a concert to be able to take a break from it.

3 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

You can use the phone when you choose to, not when you're needed to. 

Not sure, but I would imagine you can feel your phone vibrate through the pouch, so you'll know someone is trying to get a hold of you. Up to you how you wish to proceed at that point.

4 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Who wants to get kicked out? Put the phone in the pouch and resist all temptation.

22 minutes ago, naive said:

I will be at the Jack White show at the Anthem ( incredible venue, btw ), and can't wait for a phone free show! I hope every performer out there does the same.

I think it's a great idea.

6 minutes ago, naive said:

Who wants to get kicked out? Put the phone in the pouch and resist all temptation.

I'm not talking about calls from friends. I'm talking about the kinds of calls from babysitters and caregivers, or the ones where you're technically on call to support a dozen or so websites in the event one of them gets hacked. There are legitimate reasons people need to be reached. 

It's a draconian solution to a problem that could be meted out by simply listing up front at the door: "Use your phone and you're gone."

We could go back to pagers!  :D  

Just now, Norman said:

We could go back to pagers!  :D  

:P

I prefer the "Bag my iPhone 6, don't bother with the newer one shoved down my nether regions.." approach, but that'd work too!

7 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

I'm not talking about calls from friends. I'm talking about the kinds of calls from babysitters and caregivers, or the ones where you're technically on call to support a dozen or so websites in the event one of them gets hacked. There are legitimate reasons people need to be reached. 

It's a draconian solution to a problem that could be meted out by simply listing up front at the door: "Use your phone and you're gone."

I doubt they’re going to pat you down and search you. If I have my phone, turned off or on silent, in my bag and don’t take it out there’s no problem. 

8 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

:P

I prefer the "Bag my iPhone 6, don't bother with the newer one shoved down my nether regions.." approach, but that'd work too!

Wait......did you say iPhone?  I'm sorry, I can't talk to you any more. :mad:

9 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

"Use your phone and your gone" policy would likely work, but tick off a bunch of people.

Middle of the show, guy in the row in front of you decides to take a quick picture. Security sees it. Now, you have a bunch of security in front of you, telling the guy, it's time for him to go. They will argue a bit and more security will show up. The show continues, but all you can see is security trying to out a guy for taking a picture.

Suppose the guy did not take a picture but was standing, and someone behind him don't feel like standing so they summon security and say the guy had his camera out. Now, a bunch of people around you are dealing with security and missing the show.

A lot of variables with the use your phone and your gone policy.