Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCBirdfan

Pees unretires - named DC of Titans

44 posts in this topic

Dean Pees‘ retirement didn’t last long. After calling it quits on January 1 following a six-year run in Baltimore, the veteran coach is set to join the Titans as the team’s defensive coordinator, Josh Wolf of The Tennessean writes

New head coach Mike Vrabel has previously played under Pees when he served as linebackers coach and defensive coordinator with the Patriots from 2004-09. Pees replaces **** LeBeau, who served as defensive coordinator for the last three seasons.

Edited by ncbirdfan

Sounds like The Ravens "convinced" him to "retire" as a face saving move for him. 

23 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Sounds like The Ravens "convinced" him to "retire" as a face saving move for him. 

I would tend to agree with this. Of course they would never admit to anything and I'm OK with that.

Vrabel had to convince him to unretire. Might only be a stop gap one year thing. I'm just glad he is not ours anymore. Titan's fans will find out how well they lose games late on D.

It's just a shame John Harbaugh and Marty Mornigweg didn't 'retire', too.

Well, the good news is the Ravens play Tennessee next year. As one columnist pointed out, that should mean a last-minute win for the Ravens.

Not sure why you had to curse about the outgoing DC...

Edited by Ravens2006

17 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Without a doubt. And soon, the Titans will understand why.

19 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

The steelers did that to Brice Ariens years ago. 

Pees worse moment as Patriots DC. Discusses how Pees made the wrong call on Plex TD.  Go to the 18:50 mark in the video.

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Well, the good news is the Ravens play Tennessee next year. As one columnist pointed out, that should mean a last-minute win for the Ravens.

That would be one game that I favor a passing attack over a run game. Without pressure, Joe can pick apart defenses. Pees is adverse to pressuring the QB.

Every single team brings the house against Joe on 3rd down. When they do, he is helpless. With Pees and Old Man Mattison before him, we allowed a disproportionate amount of 3rd and long completions. In other words, holding off on the blitz has been a miserable failure for the Ravens. How much worse can it be if we “unleash hell?” The one year between Mattison and Pees, Pagano put together a feared defense using that mantra.

2 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Pees worse moment as Patriots DC. Discusses how Pees made the wrong call on Plex TD.  Go to the 18:50 mark in the video.

I will always remember Pees for the 2014 playoff game versus New England, Christmas Day 2016 in Pittsburgh and New Years Eve 2017 against the Bengals. This guy is responsible for much of the failure of this team dating back to the Super Bowl. And remember, his “prevent defense” nearly cost us against the 49ers in the Super Bowl.

Edited by Manny

I will be very interested in following Tennessee's defense next year.  Based on the prevailing feelings here, the Tennessee sack total (43) will drop, and of course there will be several 4th quarter collapses.  I'm in the minority here in that I don't put all of the Raven's defensive failures on Pees alone.  Of course the DC has to take some responsibility for what he is defense is, but at some point you have to look at the players and say maybe people overrated the Raven's talent just a little.  Their pass rush didn't exactly overwhelm me when they were rushing 4.  They finished the season with 41 sacks. 15 below the league leaders.  The last few years the defense looked tired and slow in the second half of games in the later stages of the season.  This was a secondary that was touted by people around here as possibly the best in the league.  The same secondary that gave up 500+ to Roethlisberger, and blew a 4th and 12 play to Andy Dalton.  At some point the players have to make a play, and they didn't.  But we'll see what happens next year.  

16 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I will be very interested in following Tennessee's defense next year.  Based on the prevailing feelings here, the Tennessee sack total (43) will drop, and of course there will be several 4th quarter collapses.  I'm in the minority here in that I don't put all of the Raven's defensive failures on Pees alone.  Of course the DC has to take some responsibility for what he is defense is, but at some point you have to look at the players and say maybe people overrated the Raven's talent just a little.  Their pass rush didn't exactly overwhelm me when they were rushing 4.  They finished the season with 41 sacks. 15 below the league leaders.  The last few years the defense looked tired and slow in the second half of games in the later stages of the season.  This was a secondary that was touted by people around here as possibly the best in the league.  The same secondary that gave up 500+ to Roethlisberger, and blew a 4th and 12 play to Andy Dalton.  At some point the players have to make a play, and they didn't.  But we'll see what happens next year.  

The secondary led the league in interceptions. I still think it was more about the players than Pees. Not that he didn't play his part, but I'm not sure that his play call was the problem on 4 and 12 as much as it was execution. 

22 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

The secondary led the league in interceptions. I still think it was more about the players than Pees. Not that he didn't play his part, but I'm not sure that his play call was the problem on 4 and 12 as much as it was execution. 

They led the league in interceptions in 2016 also.  But in both seasons they failed to get stops when needed.  I don't think the play call was the problem either.  And Harbaugh signed off on it.  

You guys always seem to know more than any of the professionals in the NFL. If Pees is as bad as you say he is, why would Tennessee lure him out of retirement? Is this just another case of pure stupidity by the professionals again or is it more likely that you guys really don't know what you are talking about? Seriously. Every offensive coordinator this team has ever has has been inept besides Kubiak and his numbers aren't any different than some of Cam's seasons. Marty sucks. Yeah, he has several top ten offenses he has coached (i believe) and even has a number one offense on his resume. You say "Well that's only because...". Come on guys. Do you really believe every single offensive coordinator we have ever had sucks? How many more offensive coordinators do we have to go through before we say "Hey. Wait a minute. Maybe it's Flacco." It makes zero sense that if Pees was as bad as he says he is that Tennessee would lure him back out of retirement. I know some of you will say "That's just because they are friends...". That's just Baloney. You have a first year head coach who wants to succeed but he is going to put his first year in jeopardy simply because he is not smart enough to get a good defensive coordinator. Does that make sense to you? I just think Pees and the coaches are a lot better than what you give them credit for. 

16 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Could be. But it seems that the coaches here develop a plan and then insist that the players execute that plan, rather than looking at the players and developing a plan they can execute. Good coaches amplify the strengths of their talent while hiding the weaknesses to the greatest extent possible. Poor coaches are inflexible. The coordinators Harbaugh chooses are, for the most part, mediocre. IMO.

16 hours ago, cprenegade said:

They led the league in interceptions in 2016 also.  But in both seasons they failed to get stops when needed.  I don't think the play call was the problem either.  And Harbaugh signed off on it.  

What was their opponents run pass ratio? ....

They are good against the run so did folks throw more? .....

If so, combine that with slug qbs they faced ....

18 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

What was their opponents run pass ratio? ....

They are good against the run so did folks throw more? .....

If so, combine that with slug qbs they faced ....

The ravens were good against the run? They were terrible against the run. They had one of their worst seasons ever as a rush defense. 

On 1/31/2018 at 1:22 PM, RavingManiac said:

You guys always seem to know more than any of the professionals in the NFL. If Pees is as bad as you say he is, why would Tennessee lure him out of retirement? Is this just another case of pure stupidity by the professionals again or is it more likely that you guys really don't know what you are talking about? Seriously. Every offensive coordinator this team has ever has has been inept besides Kubiak and his numbers aren't any different than some of Cam's seasons. Marty sucks. Yeah, he has several top ten offenses he has coached (i believe) and even has a number one offense on his resume. You say "Well that's only because...". Come on guys. Do you really believe every single offensive coordinator we have ever had sucks? How many more offensive coordinators do we have to go through before we say "Hey. Wait a minute. Maybe it's Flacco." It makes zero sense that if Pees was as bad as he says he is that Tennessee would lure him back out of retirement. I know some of you will say "That's just because they are friends...". That's just Baloney. You have a first year head coach who wants to succeed but he is going to put his first year in jeopardy simply because he is not smart enough to get a good defensive coordinator. Does that make sense to you? I just think Pees and the coaches are a lot better than what you give them credit for. 

I'll explain it to you in simple terms. The TN coach is a rookie coach who was Pees coach at NE. It is a who you know league. 

Edited by johnpolitics

I grant that I believe that Pees(and Marty) are better coaches than most (jaded) Ravens fans give them credit for, but Pees should have stayed retired.  Overall he wasn't terrible, and had some pretty fine defenses during his tenure, but in recent years, his defense's lack of ability to close games out, almost peculiarly, shows that he really just doesn't have anything left in the tank.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:13 PM, johnpolitics said:

I'll explain it to you in simple terms. The TN coach is a rookie coach who was Pees coach at NE. It is a who you know league. 

I appreciate you making it simple for me. I really do. Is it safe to assume that you think the rookie coach knows how bad a defensive coordinator Pees really is but he knows him so that’s why he hired him? Is it also safe to assume that this same rookie coach knows Pees is most likely going to fail but the rookie coach just doesn’t care enough.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:00 AM, alienrace said:

I grant that I believe that Pees(and Marty) are better coaches than most (jaded) Ravens fans give them credit for, but Pees should have stayed retired.  Overall he wasn't terrible, and had some pretty fine defenses during his tenure, but in recent years, his defense's lack of ability to close games out, almost peculiarly, shows that he really just doesn't have anything left in the tank.

I think the fans just don’t understand what they are talking about. They seem to think everyone in the nfl are idiots for some odd reason. Does it make sense for a rookie coach,who knows how terrible Pees is as a defensive coordinator, to hire him simply because he knows him knowing he will fail? Is Vrabel just an idiot? The man played for him. Don’t you think he knows how good or bad Pees is more than anybody on this board? Don’t you think Vrabel wants to be successful? If so, why not hire a good defensive coordinator? 

On 2/3/2018 at 11:00 AM, alienrace said:

I think it was more on the players. The safety vs the bengals was not in position. The safety against the raiders last year bit on a fake by the wide receiver. There may be a game or two that was Pees fault but he has done a pretty good job with what he has had to work with. We have had no pass rush by rushing four except for Suggs the last few years. Injuries to the defensive backs have been devastating. 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Manny said:

That would be one game that I favor a passing attack over a run game. Without pressure, Joe can pick apart defenses. Pees is adverse to pressuring the QB.

Every single team brings the house against Joe on 3rd down. When they do, he is helpless. With Pees and Old Man Mattison before him, we allowed a disproportionate amount of 3rd and long completions. In other words, holding off on the blitz has been a miserable failure for the Ravens. How much worse can it be if we “unleash hell?” The one year between Mattison and Pees, Pagano put together a feared defense using that mantra.

I don't no about that. I think Pees did pretty well given the talent he had. When you look at the 2 teams in the SB, Baltimore had a better pass defense than both. And considering points allowed, only 4 teams held the opponents to less points. And there were only 7 teams that held their opponents to less first downs. Those are pretty important stats. Now blown leads????? I'm not sure. That may be a weakness. Stats can be misleading.