Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
poefolks

Ozzie Stepping Down Next Season

51 posts in this topic

Decosta's reign as GM is about to begin. I'm not sure what the main differences are between the two. anybody know? I guess we'll soon find out for better or worse..

My understanding is that DeCosta is an Ozzie disciple, and will carry on with his predecessor's philosophy. If true, nothing will change, unless EC has just been going along with the program, waiting for his chance to take over and take corrective action.

41 minutes ago, weird-O said:

My understanding is that DeCosta is an Ozzie disciple, and will carry on with his predecessor's philosophy. If true, nothing will change, unless EC has just been going along with the program, waiting for his chance to take over and take corrective action.

Each man has his own spin on how he does things. While DeCosta was trained by Ozzie I doubt he will do things exactly the way Ozzie did them.

One wonders how much of this was Ozzie, and how much was Steve giving him a chance to go out on his own terms. I am not trying to imply either possibility. I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall during those meetings. Hopefully with a new GM, Harbaugh's getting a little nervous.

And... there's no guarantee DeCosta will be tapped to replace Ozzie. If Bis wants Ozzie out, then he may have fallen out of love with the basic philosophy and that would me he'll let DeCosta go somewhere else. A lot of teams have expressed interest. Given what the team has spent to keep him here, I consider this very unlikely. But it is not impossible.

Edited by Evil Yoda

30 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Each man has his own spin on how he does things. While DeCosta was trained by Ozzie I doubt he will do things exactly the way Ozzie did them.

One wonders how much of this was Ozzie, and how much was Steve giving him a chance to go out on his own terms. I am not trying to imply either possibility. I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall during those meetings. Hopefully with a new GM, Harbaugh's getting a little nervous.

And... there's no guarantee DeCosta will be tapped to replace Ozzie. If Bis wants Ozzie out, then he may have fallen out of love with the basic philosophy and that would me he'll let DeCosta go somewhere else. A lot of teams have expressed interest. Given what the team has spent to keep him here, I consider this very unlikely. But it is not impossible.

Steve has already given the job to DeCosta, he mentioned that in the presser. I'm not good with remembering names of NFL execs, but there was a discussion on the radio, about a former Ravens exec who is available. The radio guys were talking about whether it would be a good/bad idea to bring him back, and give him the job. Apparently he was here during the days when the Ravens were absolutely killing it in the draft, with guys like Sizzle. All this was discussed earlier this week, before the Ozzie announcement. So it was all just conversation. Like I mentioned, I don't remember the guy's name, that they were discussing. But they loved the idea that Ozzie move on, and have this guy take over. 

Now that we know who will be running the club, I hope ED has his own, different approach to the draft. And I hope the results are much improved.  

12 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Steve has already given the job to DeCosta, he mentioned that in the presser. I'm not good with remembering names of NFL execs, but there was a discussion on the radio, about a former Ravens exec who is available. The radio guys were talking about whether it would be a good/bad idea to bring him back, and give him the job. Apparently he was here during the days when the Ravens were absolutely killing it in the draft, with guys like Sizzle. All this was discussed earlier this week, before the Ozzie announcement. So it was all just conversation. Like I mentioned, I don't remember the guy's name, that they were discussing. But they loved the idea that Ozzie move on, and have this guy take over. 

Now that we know who will be running the club, I hope ED has his own, different approach to the draft. And I hope the results are much improved.  

I hope it's exactly the same approach with exactly the same results. I guess more Super Bowls would be better but how many teams have won multiple Super Bowls since 2000...7 or 8 teams maybe? Lets see, Pats of course, Steelers, there has to be a couple more but I'm too lazy to look them up. I'll still take the same results that Ozzie gave us.

29 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

I hope it's exactly the same approach with exactly the same results. I guess more Super Bowls would be better but how many teams have won multiple Super Bowls since 2000...7 or 8 teams maybe? Lets see, Pats of course, Steelers, there has to be a couple more but I'm too lazy to look them up. I'll still take the same results that Ozzie gave us.

If you go back several years, I would agree with you. But not the last...what...3 drafts? The results have been pretty mediocre. Generally ignoring your offense, and choosing poorly when you do draft an offensive player, is going to keep this team in the mid-tier range. Meaning, they'll be in the playoff hunt, and may get there sometimes. But they'll probably be eliminated early. In the meantime, they've been living right up against their salary cap, which limits what they can do in the FA market. 2012 was already a long time ago, in football years.    

Phil Savage was the name. Cerrato decided to make it a topic, but for years the Ravens have all but admitted that DeCosta was getting the job whenever Ozzie moved on. I think it was just talk radio fodder... and Vinny seems to have some dislike for DeCosta...

Edited by Ravens2006

16 minutes ago, weird-O said:

If you go back several years, I would agree with you. But not the last...what...3 drafts? The results have been pretty mediocre. Generally ignoring your offense, and choosing poorly when you do draft an offensive player, is going to keep this team in the mid-tier range. Meaning, they'll be in the playoff hunt, and may get there sometimes. But they'll probably be eliminated early. In the meantime, they've been living right up against their salary cap, which limits what they can do in the FA market. 2012 was already a long time ago, in football years.

Since the Ray Rice incident, badly mishandled (and maybe we don't know how badly) by the Ravens, it's almost like Ozzie's heart hasn't been in it.

Could be wrong, but I think besides the Pats, there are no other franchises that have won more than 2 Lombardis since 2000... 

I don't see the dire straits many want to paint the organization in as a whole. Aside from '15, their down years are .500 ish and still fighting for a playoff birth well in to week 16 or even the final seconds of week 17. They've set a higher bar for themselves, like most good organizations do. 

Putting aside the Patriots - the Ravens, Giants and Steelers have each won 2 Super Bowls this decade. Seahawks came close - but chose to pass rather than run.

Winning a Super Bowl in the the 21st century NFL is hard and rare. Winning 2 is exceptional.  Winning 5-6 like the Patriots is just beyond pale, and took a perfect confluence of events  - the best QB of all time with the best coach of all time, and three division franchises that have all been engaged in nearly two decades of historic ineptness simultaneously. They have had no real division rivals this century - unlike the Ravens, Giants and Steelers each who have had multiple rivals in their tough divisions.

Ozzie learned a lot from Bill Belichick when he was with Cleveland. Both teams do their draft process in a similar way but the Pats have had more success. IMO it was time for him to go, Ozzie had more hits than misses but when he missed it was BIG. Couldn't draft a WR to save his life. 

Eric DeCosta is the assumed successor. How does this jive with the Rooney rule?

Not shocking since there appeared to have been a succession plan in place for some time. You have to wonder, though, if the process wasn't accelerated by DeCosta's reported interest in the Green Bay GM job. If that's the case, then you also have to wonder if DeCosta and Harbaugh won't soon be butting heads.

8 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Could be wrong, but I think besides the Pats, there are no other franchises that have won more than 2 Lombardis since 2000... 

I don't see the dire straits many want to paint the organization in as a whole. Aside from '15, their down years are .500 ish and still fighting for a playoff birth well in to week 16 or even the final seconds of week 17. They've set a higher bar for themselves, like most good organizations do. 

Trouble is, the Ravens are probably in their most dire cap position in the past 15 years, and they have a lot of needs which have to be addressed. They'll certainly make some roster moves in order to create needed cap space, but their salvation isn't going to come via free agency. The chickens are coming home to roost on all of those restructured contracts, which makes it even more vital that the Ravens nail this draft, something which has been an issue the past few years to begin with.

12 hours ago, Manny said:

Eric DeCosta is the assumed successor. How does this jive with the Rooney rule?

That question was brought up on PFT. Seems because he was named as a successor they don't need to follow the rule.

2 hours ago, stevez51 said:

That question was brought up on PFT. Seems because he was named as a successor they don't need to follow the rule.

The Rooney rule is one of the all-time dumbest things ever.  Has there truly ever been a case of a minority getting hired because he was granted a token interview when a team already had their man picked?  No, there hasn't. 

It may have brought some awareness at some point, in regards to looking more towards minorities as head coaches, but it certainly hasn't worked in a sense that the rule itself has any meaning.  It only serves as embarassment for the recipients of the token interviews, and causes yet more racial tension and division.  Teams are going to hire who they truly believe gives them the best chance at winning, at least in most cases you would tend to think. 

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

The Rooney rule is one of the all-time dumbest things ever.  Has there truly ever been a case of a minority getting hired because he was granted a token interview when a team already had their man picked?  No, there hasn't. 

It may have brought some awareness at some point, in regards to looking more towards minorities as head coaches, but it certainly hasn't worked in a sense that the rule itself has any meaning.  It only serves as embarassment for the recipients of the token interviews, and causes yet more racial tension and division.  Teams are going to hire who they truly believe gives them the best chance at winning, at least in most cases you would tend to think. 

Disagree.  The point of the Rooney rule is to create a diverse slate of candidates during the recruiting process that affirmatively injects persons of color into the head coaching pool of candidates.  That is ultimately how coaches like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith eventually got head coaching positions. Because they were finally included in the candidate pool for several jobs, they were ultimately selected for head coaching positions.  It was a very proud watershed moment for the African American community, and a moment of immense gratification, when they faced off in the Super Bowl.

It is that opportunity for even a "token" interview that was denied to minority coaches as a homogeneous group of all older white men (until Shad Khan of the Jaguars) for many years excluded minority coaches from the interview process and entering "the pool. " Only the late Al Davis - who hired Tom Flores (Hispanic) and Art Shell (Black) - had hired minorities for head coaching positions prior to the implementation of the Rooney rule.  It was this proactive requirement to take an affirmative action to have a mandatory diverse slate of candidates into the hiring process that forced owners to cast their hiring nets wider -- rather than recycling coaches from the same pool of folks like Jerry Glanville, Sam Wyche, Buddy Ryan and Rich Kotite - which happened frequently before implementation of the Rooney Rule. 

Even if you don't get the job -- you gain the experience of going through the recruiting process, honing your leadership and strategy vision and your overall interview skills. You have an opportunity to make an impression on a GM or other front office personnel who will eventually move on to other positions in a highly transient NFL.  I can certainly say I benefited from each job interviews where I didn't land the position I applied for, and it made me better when I went through the loop again for another job or a leadership position. I have seen many people land jobs because they were also able to expand their "network" through the interview process.  For example, I can't count how many times I have watched a person move to a managerial position at another competitive company, and recruit a talented person that made a positive impression during an interview in our organization via highlighting their accomplishments, vision and soft skillsets - even if they didn't ultimately get the position. I coach/mentor all of the candidates in my current organization to apply for positions, even if I think they might be a longshot, because they will benefit from the experience and make them better candidates the next time around. That represents a true people investment and not lip service.  Prior to the Rooney rule - minority candidates were being denied even the "at-bat" opportunity as repeatedly validated by the candidate lists NFL teams were interviewing.  Despite better overall coordinator success than many of their peers - guys like Tony and Lovie were not even on the interview list for several years.  Optically, it was a really bad look for the NFL given that 70% of the players on the field were black - and many of the white NFL owners quite frankly needed a catalyst requirement.    I hope the NFL gets to the point of not needing a "Rooney Rule,"  but I think it is still of significant value at this juncture.  Peace.

Edited by RestonRaven

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

Ironically I think it led to hiring of Mike Tomlin. Everyone assumed Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt would succeed Cowher. 

23 hours ago, poefolks said:

Decosta's reign as GM is about to begin. I'm not sure what the main differences are between the two. anybody know? I guess we'll soon find out for better or worse..

One someone sounds like Elmer Fudd with an awful Massachusetts accent and the other one built two Super Bowl Champions and arguably the best defense ever.

21 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Phil Savage was the name. Cerrato decided to make it a topic, but for years the Ravens have all but admitted that DeCosta was getting the job whenever Ozzie moved on. I think it was just talk radio fodder... and Vinny seems to have some dislike for DeCosta...

Ahhh...thank you. I figured someone would know who I was referring to. 

On the other hand, it looked stupid this year for the Raiders. They fired Del Rio on the knowledge that Gruden would take the job. Tee Martin still came in for a token interview. 

21 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

I tend to agree with the broader opinion that the Ravens don't look so bad, because the league has such parity. Of course, now "parity" is being replaced with the word "mediocre". But you also make a good point, that they are being judged by their established higher level of play. That's something we have grown accustomed to.   

6 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I thought the Rooney Rule only applied to HCs? 

50 minutes ago, Manny said:

Ironically I think it led to hiring of Mike Tomlin. Everyone assumed Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt would succeed Cowher. 

Actually it didn't.  They had already interviewed Ron Rivera to satfisfy the rule.  Tomlin was interviewed later on.