Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marshan Man

Organizers celebrate first Baltimore Ceasefire weekend without killings, 'keep trudging forward'

90 posts in this topic

They say third time’s a charm, and so it was in Charm City this weekend, when the third Ceasefire weekend went the way organizers hoped — with no homicides in Baltimore over the designated 72-hour period.

“We feel just really excited and proud of Baltimore,” said Erricka Bridgeford, one of the organizers of the grassroots anti-violence effort. “For so many people to set their intentions together, and then to see it happen, I think it gives Baltimore a needed boost of self-esteem.”

There were two non-fatal shootings over the weekend, and a 27-year-old man who was shot on Thursday died on Saturday. But there were no homicides as a result of violence between Friday and Sunday, police confirmed.

Pretty sure if this had gone the other way there'd be a thread, so...

Link?

This is good news.  Sadly, good news doesn't sell as well as bad. 

We can only hope this weekend starts a new trend.  At some point, the revenge killings have to reach an ending point, don't they?

1 minute ago, Struds said:

We can only hope this weekend starts a new trend.  At some point, the revenge killings have to reach an ending point, don't they?

One would think...

It's sad that a weekend without a killing is news :(  I'm not sure how much the ceasefire has to do with it but I'm happy for the zero killings!

When was the last time we went 72 without a murder?

Edited by downunder
typo

Any day without a murder is alway good news

Sure the freezing rain had a lot to do with it ....

Maybe the Age of Miracles isn't over. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.. There are still plenty of bad guys with guns out there with turf to protect and grudges to be settled, etc.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:42 PM, Struds said:

Maybe attrition is finally catching up with the trigger pullers and the JVs aren't ready yet?

I'm definitely pro-police but nothing will change in Baltimore until the BCPD sorts itself out.

24 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I'm definitely pro-police but nothing will change in Baltimore until the BCPD sorts itself out.

Baltimore County PD? Sorry I got dinged a lot for using the wrong abbreviations along the way. :D Just busting a bit. You meant BPD? Although the county is having some issues too. Just clarifying.

An analogy, On Star Trek the original. There was an episode where some creature (looked like a large fried egg) attacked and infected Spock...now the good Dr could remove some of the nasty neuro tenttacle in Spocks body...but never all....a complete purge with light waves of some sort...finally cured it....but left Spock temporarily blind. But eventually he was OK...cured....but well it sucked for Spock for a while.

Maybe the city needs to just 'shine the light'....purge and start over. Because this tentacle by tentacle thing likely will not work and more than likely make things worse in the long run......because the public etc.....will always 'think' that the good Dr. didn't get all of them through convential methods.

JMTs.

It’s been 8 days since the last murder in Baltimore. 

22 minutes ago, naive said:

That's good news .....

Heard Pugh on TV taking credit .....

I guess firing Davis was all that was needed .....

4 hours ago, naive said:

It’s not for lack of trying. 

Two shot in separate shootings Saturday https://www.abc2news.com/news/crime-checker/baltimore-city-crime/two-shot-in-separate-shootings-saturday-in-baltimore

Both men were shot in the stomach.

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Maybe all the bad guys have the flu?

One can only hope.

32 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Maybe all the bad guys have the flu?

One can only hope.

There will be plenty of murders in the city that we can all celebrate, however, the 9 days without one is a nice break from reality.

5 minutes ago, naive said:

There will be plenty of murders in the city that we can all celebrate, however, the 9 days without one is a nice break from reality.

Whose celebrating?

You missed "one can only hope"?

I wasn't hoping for more murders:rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, naive said:

Can't disagree....it is nice.

But being the cynic that I am...'wait for the spring thaw'. Then we can 'talk'.

8 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Shock Trauma doing a heck of a job ........

Maybe too good a job?

I don't know about you....but over the years there seems to be an awful lot of 'frequent flyers' in the ER being patched up to do it all over again.

And no I don't have a link....it is just an OPINION.....that is somewhat based on facts.

Edited by Guido2

All crime is trending down in Baltimore.

But the experts here know it is simply a mirage.

26 minutes ago, naive said:

No one celebrates murders. You’re putting your own distorted-view words in other’s mouths. 

Yes, the 9 days without reading about murders has been good for everyone...especially the Homicide detectives.