Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJC

Curley Coach Fired?

209 posts in this topic

This has already been raised here....

2 hours ago, BJC said:

Sounds a little immature from the (article showing off the box cutter) but the bigger issue might have been coaching. The B conference wasn't loaded last year and Curley really struggled. I watched one game where they took  the kick off, ran down the field with ease and then threw 3 incomplete passes inside the 10 and settled for a field goal. Passed the rest of the game and got beat 30-3 or something like that. Simply, they didn't coach to talent (they had the ability to run the ball, but the coach wanted to throw). Thus the question - how'd that work out for you. That might have played a roll in his dismissal.    

4 hours ago, Express said:

Sounds a little immature from the (article showing off the box cutter) but the bigger issue might have been coaching. The B conference wasn't loaded last year and Curley really struggled. I watched one game where they took  the kick off, ran down the field with ease and then threw 3 incomplete passes inside the 10 and settled for a field goal. Passed the rest of the game and got beat 30-3 or something like that. Simply, they didn't coach to talent (they had the ability to run the ball, but the coach wanted to throw). Thus the question - how'd that work out for you. That might have played a roll in his dismissal.    

You’re really going to fire him after one year? The guy proved he could coach at Dundalk, not something you just forget how to do overnight. Agree, judging from the box score they had a rough year, but strictly from a coaching perspective, he, and any coach, deserve more than one year.

This incident, or lack there of, and his on the field performance should be two totally separate issues. If Curley thinks they made a bad hire, and tried to exploit this incident and make it look worse then it was to get out from under it, then shame on curley. Word is all allegations were unfounded by the police.

Edited by Dblock34

1 hour ago, Dblock34 said:

You’re really going to fire him after one year? The guy proved he could coach at Dundalk, not something you just forget how to do overnight. Agree, judging from the box score they had a rough year, but strictly from a coaching perspective, he, and any coach, deserve more than one year.

This incident, or lack there of, and his on the field performance should be two totally separate issues. If Curley thinks they made a bad hire, and tried to exploit this incident and make it look worse then it was to get out from under it, then shame on curley. Word is all allegations were unfounded by the police.

I mean, its not like he didn't have the talent at Curley  when he came and had to build the team from the ground up. This was a very athletic Curley team, it's just poor coaching and decision making that hampered their teams success. 

All I can say is be careful what you ask for Curley! First they start off by not giving Murphy the AD job which sent him looking elsewhere,  then they go out and hire the up and coming Sandora, who is a very good coach. Now after one year, he is no good. Come on, other kids in the class said it was nothing don't ruin a guys life over a stupid little incident.  And Bob that team this year was young and learning a new system, so not very good.

1 hour ago, bob12345 said:

I mean, its not like he didn't have the talent at Curley  when he came and had to build the team from the ground up. This was a very athletic Curley team, it's just poor coaching and decision making that hampered their teams success. 

This is bigger than coaching and X's and O's - this is a man with a family who just lost his JOB, not just his football stipend, over what sounds like an indiscretion that should have resulted in a "call on the carpet" at best and a suspension at worst. Whether or not he threw the ball too much isn't really important.

I have to believe that the incidents are separate.  I do not care how bad you dislike someone, an incident report like this is damaging to the point where that career is over.  I find it hard to believe that a school, would create or stretch an incident to ruin a persons life just to get rid of them as a football coach.  Why would a private school, whom rely's on athletics to bring in a portion of students to the school want this bad publicity?

It's awful that he lost his teaching job and coaching job. That's a life altering decision by Curley to have a reaction and fire him while claiming he was a child abuser. It's a nice thought that the kids and community are speaking out about how great he was and petitioning, but Curley isn't a school I anticipate to change it's mind or admit it was wrong in a public display like the one they have made out of this. 

8 hours ago, HY3:13 said:

This is bigger than coaching and X's and O's - this is a man with a family who just lost his JOB, not just his football stipend, over what sounds like an indiscretion that should have resulted in a "call on the carpet" at best and a suspension at worst. Whether or not he threw the ball too much isn't really important.

well said

Posted (edited)

Curley should have never hired him because he wasn’t a good fit. Public coaches get these private school jobs and forget they still have to recruit/get kids in that can pay tuition and part of his staff was out  offering scholarships to everyone. Curley had in place a JV staff that has been one of the most successful staffs in the MIAA -B conference and should have given them the job. The new coach only brought in I believe one of his coaches from Dundalk and that guy was only a JV coach. Kinda makes you wonder why  no one else followed with him? They played kids out of position, sat starters down in favor of Freshmen/sophomores that were clearly not ready for that level of play. Who ever they hire next better bring in his own staff. 

Edited by TT2015

We will see what happens. There were several good coaches on Murphy's staff that should have gotten the job and understood how the MIAA works

1 hour ago, TT2015 said:

Curley should have never hired him because he wasn’t a good fit. Public coaches get these private school jobs and forget they still have to recruit/get kids in that can pay tuition and part of his staff was out  offering scholarships to everyone. Curley had in place a JV staff that has been one of the most successful staffs in the MIAA -B conference and should have given them the job. The new coach only brought in I believe one of his coaches from Dundalk and that guy was only a JV coach. Kinda makes you wonder why  no one else followed with him? They played kids out of position, sat starters down in favor of Freshmen/sophomores that were clearly not ready for that level of play. Who ever they hire next better bring in his own staff. 

Out of position according to whom? 

Coaches come in all the time and make changes to fit their program not the previous regime

34 minutes ago, cfoty said:

We will see what happens. There were several good coaches on Murphy's staff that should have gotten the job and understood how the MIAA works

Wouldnt be surprised that they werent offered out of spite because thats exactly how the MIAA works 

On 2/5/2018 at 5:09 PM, Express said:

Very good stuff here....The coach is a very good coach with a proven track record, however, he did not have the type pf layers to accomplish what he was seeking to do....he was a very bad fit for Curley but otherwise a very good coach.....  

On 2/5/2018 at 9:05 PM, Dblock34 said:

Curley made a horrible decision with hiring....case closed.... 

Posted (edited)

On 2/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, bob12345 said:

THIS STATEMENT SUMS IT ALL UP.....not only does it describe exactly what happened with regards to the nature of the dismissal but it opens up a broader issue ..CURLEY BLEW IT LIKE A YELLOWSTONE PARK GEYSER......They were on the rise in the Miaa-a and absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail....The friars were bringing in the very best players north of Dematha and then they bungle the entire operation by bringing in a coach who simply was not fit to make the most out of what they already had....Curely has or had a very good system predicated on running, blocking and utilizing its bench and the coach they hired had no intentions of making use of that system....public school coaches are just not cut out for private school programs and vice versa...its simply all to often a bad idea based on conflicting philosophy on how to run a team. Bcc is not a private school but it operates very much like a private school and they recently learned that bringing in a coach from out of network is a very bad idea....  

Edited by AgentOrange

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, AgentOrange said:

THIS STATEMENT SUMS IT ALL UP.....not only does it describe exactly what happened with regards to the nature of the dismissal but it opens up a broader issue ..CURLEY BLEW IT LIKE A YELLOWSTONE PARK GEYSER......They were on the rise in the Miaa-a and absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail....The friars were bringing in the very best players north of Dematha and then they bungle the entire operation by bringing in a coach who simply was not fit to make the most out of what they already had....Curely has or had a very good system predicated on running, blocking and utilizing its bench and the coach they hired had no intentions of making use of that system....public school coaches are just not cut out for private school programs and vice versa...its simply all to often a bad idea based on conflicting philosophy on how to run a team. Bcc is not a private school but it operates very much like a private school and they recently learned that bringing in a coach from out of network is a very bad idea....  

Randy Trivers, Holzer, Schmidt, Cilento all public school guys done quite well in private world. Best players North of DeMatha how about SFA, McD, etc

Pretty uneducated statement.

Edited by OldBallCoach

Also Curley was a B conference team AO. Talent level was iffy IMO this past year from previous year, team lost to Loyola 40-0 that season

47 minutes ago, OldBallCoach said:

Randy Trivers, Holzer, Schmidt, Cilento all public school guys done quite well in private world. Best players North of DeMatha how about SFA, McD, etc

There was also a guy named Malloy, I believe, that did pretty well, also.

2 hours ago, themamba said:

Great point 400 wins puts you in a class by your self

5 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

For your information....Curley was doing that damn good with regards to landing talent....I did not say anything about transfers....I'm talking about recruiting classes only....The friars killed the market on Hamilton rec league and some other places...AND YES SIR.....THEY WERE OUT SLINGING MCD..... yes they were

4 hours ago, themamba said:

there is always the exception to the rule and I assumed you knew this but yet you went and made a statement to the contrary...yes there are folks like Malloy and then there are others...but do the math man.....then get back to me....