Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJC

Curley Coach Fired?

209 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

My My My....YOU are such a "dual-threat"  ---  Flexible and Clairvoyant.  :rolleyes:

My buddy GayWalker.  How you doing? Typing to type again! Dreaming of those private schools again?! Lol!

20 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

The transition from double wing to spread is not a one year project.  Curley did not have the QB to run that offense, but the new coach probably had some in the pipeline.  That all got blown up now.  What a mess.

Having a  few QB's in the pipeline, doesn't mean much when the defense was giving up 30-60 points per game. Ball control and field position go a long way to helping the defense. All this BS about transition time, is just that BS. This was a solid team in the "B" Conference for god sake. They had size, an established running game and decent defense (not great but decent). The question might be better suited for the AD and that would be - why hire a coach that only wants to run the the spread? or did you even discuss systems?. The goal is to win, so go with a system that matches the talent on the field. If talent dictates spread then fine, but if it dictates something else...a seasoned coach  can easily adjust - that's high school. He might be a good coach (and I am sure everyone wishes him the best, but don't give me the "it takes time" line. This was not a bad program that needed to be turned around. My 2 cents.     

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

The transition from double wing to spread is not a one year project.  Curley did not have the QB to run that offense, but the new coach probably had some in the pipeline.  That all got blown up now.  What a mess.

Coaches who can't adjust their scheme to their personnel shouldn't have the job. Everyone (with tough kids on the line and in the backfield) can run the DW (with good coaching), not everyone can run the spread....see LB's last decade. You need a dual threat QB to run the spread well. You don't need a running QB to have an effective DW. The good coaches adapt.

Edited by mop

5 minutes ago, Express said:

Having a  few QB's in the pipeline, doesn't mean much when the defense was giving up 30-60 points per game. Ball control and field position go a long way to helping the defense. All this BS about transition time, is just that BS. This was a solid team in the "B" Conference for god sake. They had size, an established running game and decent defense (not great but decent). The question might be better suited for the AD and that would be - why hire a coach that only wants to run the the spread? or did you even discuss systems?. The goal is to win, so go with a system that matches the talent on the field. If talent dictates spread then fine, but if it dictates something else...a seasoned coach  can easily adjust - that's high school. He might be a good coach (and I am sure everyone wishes him the best, but don't give me the "it takes time" line. This was not a bad program that needed to be turned around. My 2 cents.     

Some ADs don't know football or other sports for that matter. They are politicians and bureaucrats and aren't qualified to make good coaching hires.  

56 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

That's not true about not having a spread QB... They had #2 Kiani Freeman, and if Im not mistaken he came over from Pallotti who runs the spread.

I love the talk of "modern" football. A coach wants to win football games and will run whatever scheme he thinks will make that happen. I guarantee that he is more invested in winning than any fan.

Not sure what the knock is on the DW anyway. It really is not about entertaining all of the pops in the stands.  

14 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

You don't need a dual threat (aka "can't read defenses and panics at the first sign of pressure") to run the spread.  I recall lots of teams that run spread with a pro style QB.

Clearly the spread works better with a dual threat QB. That being said if you have a great pro style passer at QB (very rare in high school) you would alter your scheme to fit your personnel. A great QB uses motion and scheme to read the D pre-snap. If he checks down to an option play, he then reads his key(s) and reacts accordingly. 

There are obviously different types of spread offenses.....

mike leach and urban Meyer both run what is considered a spread offense, using 2 completely different types of qb’s

15 hours ago, KeepItReal said:

Many great area QB's avoided Curley like the plague because of their DW offense.  They finally get a guy who wants to run something modern and they run him out of town after one season.

Great area qb's, like who. Not a great area for great qb's anyway

In a nutshell Sandora didn’t run the team. He had one coach that allowed Freshman to play that clearly Weren’t ready and he never pulled them out when they continued to make mistakes. He had another coach (from the Murphy era) that played favoritism towards some players over others that clearly weren’t as productive and Sandora let it continue to happen. His OC was inexperienced. But the main reason they ran him out of Curley is because of all the (buzz on the streets) that his coaches were trying to recruit kids with the promises of full scholarships and again he should have controlled that and didn’t. I will say if the new coach keeps the one coach from (the old Murphy days) onboard then expect another dismal season. The rumor was he was undermining Sandora because he didn’t get the position and will continue too. He clearly didn’t help Sandora and that’s a fact.

12 minutes ago, TT2015 said:

In a nutshell Sandora didn’t run the team. He had one coach that allowed Freshman to play that clearly Weren’t ready and he never pulled them out when they continued to make mistakes. He had another coach (from the Murphy era) that played favoritism towards some players over others that clearly weren’t as productive and Sandora let it continue to happen. His OC was inexperienced. But the main reason they ran him out of Curley is because of all the (buzz on the streets) that his coaches were trying to recruit kids with the promises of full scholarships and again he should have controlled that and didn’t. I will say if the new coach keeps the one coach from (the old Murphy days) onboard then expect another dismal season. The rumor was he was undermining Sandora because he didn’t get the position and will continue too. He clearly didn’t help Sandora and that’s a fact.

4 hours ago, TT2015 said:

Thought all the coaches from Murphy’s time left and he brought in all new coaches?

Posted (edited)

Curley was awful. Tuscarora, a losing team in the CMC, blew out the Friars 42-6, a week after Linganore blasted them, 64-6. They were much better seved playing the privates, as Linganore, the third best team in the CMC, in addition to being state champions, and Tuscarora, who finished tied for 5th in a 7 team league, handed the Friars 2 of their 3 worst losses last season.

Edited by themamba

Sandora and his former OC Duncan should have stayed together like at Dundalk. Also who is the new coach?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hsFbfan said:

does Curly play Fred Co again in 2018?

From the sound of things, I hope not, for FredCo's sake. I hope this season the MIAA can turn over a new leaf, with no one a fan of SFA, when they are winning, or when they were losing, all you hear about these MIAA teams is how 'god awful' these teams are. Several posters every day, for a year now, leave comments on the incompetency of the Loyola athletic department, or how bad the coaching was at Curley last season, or, as usual, how McDonogh doesn't do things the right way. An outsider would look at this league as a clown show, the Ronald McDonald edition. Wish there were positive news about the teams. Aside from hearing how great Gilman is and will be, to the future and beyond, very little else is positive, lunacy notwithstanding.

Edited by themamba

8 minutes ago, city40blast said:

Sandora and his former OC Duncan should have stayed together like at Dundalk. Also who is the new coach?

Brendon Ireton from Kent County.

sad part about last year is they had 4 kids  quit during the season and all 4 kids could ball out.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, TT2015 said:

Brendon Ireton from Kent County.

sad part about last year is they had 4 kids  quit during the season and all 4 kids could ball out.

Team is better off when selfish players remove themselves 

Edited by bleedingorangeandblack

41 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Team is better off when selfish players remove themselves 

That wouldn’t be the case here.Because there were no selfish kids on that team. You had an assistant coach that was but not the kids. Watch their games and then comment because even Stevie Wonder could see the train wreck of what was happening. This same group of kids had dominated under the JV coaches. Then they go to the Varsity level and bomb. I can tell you point blank one of the coaches told me they didn’t watch any of their JV film and didn’t know much about the kids,  That alone tells you the story. I ask you this question “bleeding orange” if a kid played 7 different positions because their dads influence and (while he was good at some of those positions offense) he was not good on defense but still was played would you call that favoritism? I know that the coaches were called out about this and you started to see them change a few things and then all of a sudden they won 2 out of last 3 games.