Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Apexbud

SpaceX set to launch massive Falcon Heavy rocket

26 posts in this topic

"SpaceX is launching arguably its most daring mission to date Tuesday, when the Falcon Heavy rocket takes off on its first test flight.

The Falcon Heavy rocket is massive, larger than anything that has launched since NASA's Saturn V missions, which took people to the moon. The rocket's target launch is set for Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. ET from Cape Canaveral, Florida, with a 2.5-hour launch window. There are windows scheduled on Wednesday and Thursday as well, in case Tuesday's launch doesn't work."

"This is a private mission funded by billionaire Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX -- the Falcon Heavy has three engine cores with 27 Merlin engines, capable of lifting 5 million pounds into orbit. But this mission is carrying a much lighter cargo. Musk, 46, will send his own cherry-red Tesla roadster, complete with a spacesuit-clad dummy in the driver's seat, as its cargo.

The car "will be in deep space for a billion years or so if it doesn’t blow up on ascent," Musk tweeted in December."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/spacex-set-launch-massive-falcon-heavy-rocket/story?id=52847271

You realize if the car makes it into orbit it becomes the fastest road car ever. 😎

They are also going for a triple landing of the booster rockets.

Great stuff!

I posted abt this in Science, will be watching & posting today when it happens or doesn't.

5,000,000 lbs of thrust is nothing to sneeze at. The Saturn V was 7,000,000. 

Absolutely insane. In a great way, IMO. I got to watch the launch and the entire adventure was some of the best film I've ever seen. 

Check out this link to live views from the space roadster. Tesla could not do better as a way to sell the brand. 

The simultaneous landing of the booster rockets were spectacular!

I have not heard anything about the core booster landing yet, but this mission is a huge success.

The Tesla Roadster is headed to Mars.

Now is the time to build the permanent colony on the Moon.

Hi Apex, all three rockets landed. Yes, I think I felt something watching the two boosters land. Like I mentioned, to me thats almost unbelievable footage, not to mention the tech and innovation that made it possible.

I sold the S2000, got a big truck, but now that roadster looks good.  I see what he did there...

Growing pains in a new F1 era (post 2013) for a make that didn't return to F1 until 2015. But I get it, no excuses for a brand that has those resources. In Indy car, Honda rivals and often dominates the other leader in open wheel racing engines, Chevy.

But the Tesla goes 7 miles a second.

I'm old so I remember the dominant McLaren Hondas in the late 80's.  I was disappointed in the new iteration to say the least.   I think Senor Alonso was too.

32 minutes ago, FritoPendejo said:

I'm old so I remember the dominant McLaren Hondas in the late 80's.  I was disappointed in the new iteration to say the least.   I think Senor Alonso was too.

I'm old enough to remember the Honda's from the '60s.

These are not merely internal combustion engines anymore, but complex, complicated hybrid power units that drive F1 cars.

Pepper, Tesla is going to build a new roadster. 😎 

Maybe not as fast as Elon's personal ride today...

1 hour ago, pepper said:

Hi Apex, all three rockets landed. Yes, I think I felt something watching the two boosters land. Like I mentioned, to me thats almost unbelievable footage, not to mention the tech and innovation that made it possible.

I sold the S2000, got a big truck, but now that roadster looks good.  I see what he did there...

Pepper, you got me thinking.

I felt something about today's launch and landings as well. Setting aside the giggles of launching a car to Mars, we may have witnessed the first demonstration of the vehicle that could finally make Humans a multiple planet species.

That's exciting stuff!

During Elon's press conference he revealed that the Core stage impacted the ocean at around 300mph. Seems that it ran out of fuel and just missed the barge but took out 2 of it's engines. Still overall one heck of a flight. I posted the flight in the Science Forum. Pretty cool watching the 2 side boosters landing in unison.

Edited by Bartman

When I was a kid on Saturday mornings I would watch Rocky Jones Space Ranger on TV. His ship would land in a reverse of a blast off, and it looked so fake and unbelievable, even to a 9 year old kid. Today two of Musk's rocket boosters landed just like that, side by side.Renews my faith in the ability of mankind (that would be peoplekind in Canada)  to turn science fiction into science fact. Amazing.

13 minutes ago, Bartman said:

During Elon's press conference he revealed that the Core stage impacted the ocean at around 300mph. Seems that it ran out of fuel and just missed the barge but took out 2 of it's engines. Still overall one heck of a flight. I posted the flight in the Science Forum. Pretty cool watching the 2 side boosters landing in unison.

Thank you for the update, Bartman. I missed your posts on the other page, but I think this is international news, and deserves a post here.

Were they able to recover anything? Sounds like it.

14 minutes ago, Papi said:

When I was a kid on Saturday mornings I would watch Rocky Jones Space Ranger on TV. His ship would land in a reverse of a blast off, and it looked so fake and unbelievable, even to a 9 year old kid. Today two of Musk's rocket boosters landed just like that, side by side.Renews my faith in the ability of mankind (that would be peoplekind in Canada)  to turn science fiction into science fact. Amazing.

I barely remember Space Rangers.

I would eat all that science fiction stuff up. Dad was working for a subcontractor that was deep into the begining of the US space program. You've heard of Army Brats? I was a Space Brat. We lived coast-to-coast and sometimes in the middle of no where.

Musk has said that he wants to die on Mars. I think he added hopefully not on impact.

If he makes it there, I wonder if he would attempt to recover the roadster? An electric car would work there...

😎

A couple Good ones on Imgur

http://i.imgur.com/W5D5n5X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U3oRb0R.png

I also remember watching Rocky Jones on TV Sat mornings. Also Big Fan of Sky King and the short lived Steve Canyon tv show. Never made a Career out of it but I did earn my Private Pilot license out of Essex Skypark flying Cessna 150's from there in the 70's. I really miss those few years that I flew on the weekends. I shoulda done more.

Edited by Bartman

My God. Those boosters returning and settling back into the launch pad?

Incredible!

3 hours ago, Papi said:

I watched some space series with puppets kind of like they used in Team America World Police.  When they showed them take off and the rocket flying, sparks were just falling out of the back end.  Cartoon flames would have been more realistic.  

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

A couple Good ones on Imgur

http://i.imgur.com/W5D5n5X.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U3oRb0R.png

I also remember watching Rocky Jones on TV Sat mornings. Also Big Fan of Sky King and the short lived Steve Canyon tv show. Never made a Career out of it but I did earn my Private Pilot license out of Essex Skypark flying Cessna 150's from there in the 70's. I really miss those few years that I flew on the weekends. I shoulda done more.

LOL.  Idaho Springs on I 70 renamed themselves Steve Canyon after the War and commissioned a statue which apparently is still there.  
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11302

3 hours ago, Papi said:

Brian Williams made an interesting point tonight. We have technology to do this. But we can't stop Amtrak trains from crashing into each other as they're inexplicably on the same track.

What the hell.

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

Brian Williams made an interesting point tonight. We have technology to do this. But we can't stop Amtrak trains from crashing into each other as they're inexplicably on the same track.

What the hell.

Good point.  To be fair, I guess one of the three boosters didn't make it.  Amazing none the less.  We have gotten pretty damn good at preventing airliners from going down.  
I guess Amtrak employees are not rocket scientists or air traffic control professionals.  

20 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

What the hell.

Don't forget Musk is also behind the high speed Hyperloop transportation system that looks to connect Baltimore and DC.

The commute could be cut to mere minutes between the two cities.

A possible first leg to tie into other cities.

Edited by Apexbud