Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ibrihim

Md. Lawmaker To Propose Bill Banning Tackle Football For Kids Under 14

29 posts in this topic

Del. Terri Hill, a Maryland House of Delegates member representing Baltimore and Howard Counties, is a medical doctor and sits on the Health and Government Operations Committee.

Dr. Hill wants state law to prohibit kids under the age of 14 from tackling in football, heading in soccer, and checking in lacrosse and hockey.

Her intent is to limit the risk of head injuries.

“In reality, what we’re trying to do is minimize the risk of kids getting these injuries, because the younger the brain, the more long-term damage we see,” Dr. Hill said.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/02/05/maryland-youth-tackle-football/

I don't think kids under 14 can hit hard enough to hurt each other especially when wearing a football helmet.

But I once headed a soccer ball and I was dizzy for a week.

Probable overreach, but parents would be wise to avoid tackle football at least until middle school. 

And trust me, kids under 14 can absolutely hit hard enough to give, and receive concussions. 

Its stupid nanny government BS. 

More kids get hurt playing baseball than football.

Edited by Smokey 1

17 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Its stupid nanny government BS. 

More kids get hurt playing baseball than football.

saying that there should be more regulation, is not helping your call for the end of the "nanny" state. whatever that is. 

Sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes: Lets even further emasculate the male gender.

Tell you what....when they prohibit....14 year olds and under and/or really inforce the penalties for; having a gun, using a gun, attacking people on the street, selling drugs, having knives...etc.

When they take care of that 'little problem'....then talk to me about this kind of garbage.

smh....more soccer mom..feel good...vote getting legislation.

Again....typical....uber left progressive nonsense...HERE IT IS VERY.... SIMPLE DIPWADS....if you don't want  your kid to play tackle football.....then do let them....don't make EVERYONE ELSE be forced to be a sheep because you 'hate' something. And you KNOW YOU are so correct.

smh.

Edited by Guido2

59 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

Probable overreach, but parents would be wise to avoid tackle football at least until middle school. 

And trust me, kids under 14 can absolutely hit hard enough to give, and receive concussions. 

I can't speak to heading and the other sports since I never played them. Well I played ice hockey ....but I think they are referring to field.

I know/played Pop Warner football. At least when I played....they had age categories....AND within those groups they had SIZE categories.

There is not doubt....that some kid with 'genes' could easily be a monster....most kids don't have those genes.

Take a look at Wilt Chamberlain...face it he was a freak....in Jr high ...if memory servers he was already 6'6".

To me size and weight has more to do with the punishment handed out AND more importantly what can be absorbed...than chronological age.

Some thoughts:

Why would you let a small 14-year-old do those things, but not a large 13-year-old? Some 13-year-olds have reached their adult height and look 16, while some 14-year-olds look like 11-year-olds.

The article doesn't quote the bill's text, and I wonder whether informal (backyard or playground) games would be covered. When I was in the 5th grade, I broke my collar bone playing backyard football.

Why isn't rugby included? One of my kids got a concussion playing the sport in high school.

I don't agree with this proposed bill however, I do believe there needs to be better oversight when it comes to coaching.  I've seen some Jr. league coaches that act like they are coaching grown men.  Parents need to report coaches to the league that are out of control.  Further, football needs to be taught correctly. Someone mentioned that kids can't hit hard enough to cause a concussion, that's not rue at all.  I've seen it happen. 

You better believe a 10 year old can hit hard enough to cause a concussion. 

20 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

You better believe a 10 year old can hit hard enough to cause a concussion. 

Then if your child is so frail and the parent so fearful....then the parent should not allow the child to play....not adjust the rules so they can.

It is called 'taking ownership' and 'being a responsible parent'.

Unfortunately, the 'thinking' is that we (the gooberment) can legislate bad things out of existence. :rolleyes: News flash.....'shxt happens'...that is life. And to validate that statement....think about all the gun laws that the GA has cranked out over the years.....killings in the city went up ...not down.

See ...that is the problem...and not just with sports....but too many things today.....the thinking is that we (the gooberment and do-gooders) that we know better....that you (the public) are too stupid or lazy or inept to realize the issues....so we will punish (implement) with laws so the idiots will survive or be protected from themselves.

Edited by Guido2

That's a parental responsibility, not a government responsibility.

4 hours ago, sparky1 said:

saying that there should be more regulation, is not helping your call for the end of the "nanny" state. whatever that is. 

Where do you see me calling for more regulation?  You must be hallucinating.

You said that there are more injuries in baseball, implying that in addition to regulating football, or maybe ignore football and regulate the real problem, baseball should be regulated because as you noted, it is more dangerous. 

Too many parents (read: fathers) push their boys to play football and to do the most damage to the opponent. If you have seen the brain scans of the dead pro players with CTE it’s horrible. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to take that chance with their child’s developing. brain. 

As far as the government regulating it...the government will eventually be involved if the kid grows up and turns out like Aaron Hernandez. 

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

You said that there are more injuries in baseball, implying that in addition to regulating football, or maybe ignore football and regulate the real problem, baseball should be regulated because as you noted, it is more dangerous. 

That was not what I was saying.  I only noted the baseball injuries to show how out of touch the pol was to the issue.  I am generally against government regulation and especially against efforts of the government to "protect us from ourselves". 

6 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Amen. When I was a kid we played tackle without helmets. We also road bikes without helmets and drove cars without seat belts. 

Edited by bmore_ken

34 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Amen. When I was a kid we should played tackle without helmets. We also road bikes without helmets and drove cars without seat belts. 

Yep. And I laid my bike down once or twice, too (memorably, when I hit a patch of that grey sand we used to call gutter grit).

No one really knows, yet, what the link between concussions and cognitive problems in later life might be. Or even if there is a link. Reasonable precautions, like padding, are a good idea. Bans are overreaction.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-football-safety-legislation-20180206-story.html

The measure would prohibit football and other contact sports for elementary and middle-school kids if they are played on public fields or facilities maintained with public funds.

“This is about a vulnerable population and developing brains,” Del. Terri Hill, a physician and Howard County Democrat, said Tuesday. “It’s a public health issue.”

Hill said younger children can’t always recognize or report the symptoms of head injuries and that research shows it’s not just concussions that cause long-term damage. She said the accumulated damage from lesser hits – “sub-concussive” ones – also can cause damage later in life.

I rolled over the cage ball in the gymnasium - full force onto my forehead. I had a concussion -- and a scar to prove it. And some kid's two front teeth broke off into my forehead during a rousing game of "Tag."  Same, as well as another scar on my forehead to prove it. lol  :)

The point is that kids are going to get hurt.  I agree with Cowboyz and will add that the adults in charge need to be held responsible for the safety of the kids in their charge.

19 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I also agree. 

Although Dr. Hill is a brilliant Ivy League educated physician (BA in Bioelectric Engineering from Harvard, MD from Columbia), she is not a neurologist (her specialty is cosmetic surgery) and should not use her medical background to influence or enact legislative initiatives.

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I rolled over the cage ball in the gymnasium - full force onto my forehead. I had a concussion -- and a scar to prove it. And some kid's two front teeth broke off into my forehead during a rousing game of "Tag."  Same, as well as another scar on my forehead to prove it. lol  :)

The point is that kids are going to get hurt.  I agree with Cowboyz and will add that the adults in charge need to be held responsible for the safety of the kids in their charge.

But you didn’t do all that repeatedly each week for a couple months of the year. 

Not sure if I can disagree with this. I played the equivalent of pop warner in the midwest as a kid and I trashed my knee when I was 13. Kept playing through high school with a couple more surgeries. Can’t blame that on playing rec football since we had good coaches who were actually coaches and not someone trying to make up for what he lacked as a athlete.

And I saw plenty of them when I refed pee wee leagues in Maryland about 10 years ago.

Matter of fact, coaches like that are why I stopped reffing.

17 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Amen. When I was a kid we played tackle without helmets. We also road bikes without helmets and drove cars without seat belts. 

This ^^

I lost all of my baby teeth playing "smear the queer" and 5 on 5 with my neighborhood friends :D

1 hour ago, Ibrihim said:

I also agree. 

Although Dr. Hill is a brilliant Ivy League educated physician (BA in Bioelectric Engineering from Harvard, MD from Columbia), she is not a neurologist (her specialty is cosmetic surgery) and should not use her medical background to influence or enact legislative initiatives.

She probably did a neuro rotation during her training. Almost every doctor rotates through various services during residency; this helps the doctor learn what they want to do, and perhaps as importantly, what they are good at. So she's not uninformed.

I wouldn't have a problem with a law that required youth sports to hand parents a booklet, written by doctors, explaining the risks and perhaps even how the program was working to mitigate them. That lets the parents make an informed decision. But a blanket ban goes too far.

Additionally, weight and strength should be the qualifiers. Not age. The two are loosely correlated at best.

Edited by Evil Yoda

14 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

She probably did a neuro rotation during her training. Almost every doctor rotates through various services during residency; this helps the doctor learn what they want to do, and perhaps as importantly, what they are good at. So she's not uninformed.

I wouldn't have a problem with a law that required youth sports to hand parents a booklet, written by doctors, explaining the risks and perhaps even how the program was working to mitigate them. That lets the parents make an informed decision. But a blanket ban goes too far.

See but 'for some'...that booklet would be not good enough...'they' would assume....as I stated before ....that 'they' know better....that likely parents won't a- read it, b- understand it or c-not do what 'they' think is right and still allow the kid to play.

It is about control....nothing more nothing less.

Further...would a booklet even be necessary? I mean .... unless one has their head in the sand...there is more than enough 'warnings' on the media in general.....and I am sure a quick Google will provide much more information. Way more (pro and con) that a booklet could.

And that would also require a parent to ....as I said earlier....take ownership.....which 'they' doubt parents are capable of....so ....hence....a blanket rule.

Again repeating myself....this is very similiar to gun control laws...don't focus on the 'problems' but rather control everyone with blanket laws. Individual responsability/ ownership/punishment is no longer an issue...in affect 'they' think everyone is irresponsible.

JMTs

Edited by Guido2