Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regularguy

Conservative columnist: "Even for Trump, this was a new low.

17 posts in this topic

Link.

One thing we've learned in the last two years is that no legal, moral or cultural strictures bind Trump and that he is immune to the better angels of human nature. The moral event horizon around him consumes the good in anyone who becomes one of his vassals. There is no better version of Trump, ever. He can only degrade and destroy everything he touches, but today was remarkable, even for him. Monday's simpering, prissy, self-indulgent performance in Ohio was just another raree-show with our Kentucky Fried Nero fiddling while the stock market burned. Then came the moment where he broke another seal, and cracked another seam in the foundation of our Republic.

That was when Trump, in his typical sneering, sniggling, purse-lipped way said of the Democrats watching his State of the Union speech: “They were like death. And un-American. Un-American. Somebody said ‘treasonous.’ I mean, yeah, I guess, why not? Can we call that treason? Why not? I mean they certainly didn’t seem to love our country very much.”

If you're looking for someone who is betraying this nation, look for a person who would deliberately and systematically wreck the institutions that guarantee the separation of powers and the accountability of the executive and legislative branches. Look for a person who would suborn the rule of law to protect himself, his family, and his cronies from justice. If you're looking for someone in the act of betraying the glorious vision of our Founders and our Constitution, look no further than the vulgar, prancing, reality-show clown who holds the Presidency. Look no further than the man who swore to uphold the Constitution and obey the laws of this land, yet ignores them, and attacks those who would carry them out. We have had presidents in living memory who failed, who strayed from the righteous path, who were venal or paranoid or who fell victim to their lusts and weaknesses. But none came so close to treason as this President.

I know North Korea wouldn't tolerate that type of "treasonous" behavior.

We don't live in a dictatorship or a monarchy. I swore an oath—in the military and in the Senate—to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not to mindlessly cater to the whims of Cadet Bone Spurs and clap when he demands I clap

https://twitter.com/SenDuckworth/status/960665400643080193

Edited by bmorepunk

Cadet Bone Spurs. Ouch!

6 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Tammy Duckworth for President 2020.

I’d totally be down for that. 

7 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Tammy Duckworth for President 2020.

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

I’d totally be down for that. 

Unfortunately, she was born in Thailand.

Just now, FatBoy said:

Unfortunately, she was born in Thailand.

One of her parents is an American citizen, so she's a U.S. citizen from birth. (Same as Ted Cruz)

Just now, regularguy said:

One of her parents is an American citizen, so she's a U.S. citizen from birth. (Same as Ted Cruz)

Ok. Thanks, I didn't realize that.

She's pregnant, so her running seems unlikely. But she's a great high profile bulwark against "if you don't adulate me, you're against the troops!". A woman who is double-amputee combat veteran is like Trumponite.

"If you're looking for someone in the act of betraying the glorious vision of our Founders and our Constitution, look no further than the vulgar, prancing, reality-show clown who holds the Presidency."

A conservative not kowtowing to vulgar donald simply because there's an R behind his name

The conservatives in my circle shy away when donald is mentioned. Kudos to Mr. Wilson

"You may have noticed by now, but I’m not one to pull any punches on DonaldTrump. As a conservative, I see him as a statist abomination, a plump, be-wattled authoritarian-wannabe man-baby with the intellectual horsepower of a toaster oven."

The writer's always hated Trump as all "establishment" so called "conservatives" do.  Just letting you know if you think this is another harbinger of Trump's supporters deserting him.

Edited by Saticon3

1 hour ago, ODENTON said:

"... the vulgar, prancing, reality-show clown who holds the Presidency."

And then there's this from the same article:

"For some reason, this president seems determined to demonstrate that he will do anything, at any time, to please the Russian authoritarian. He will tear down the United States government around him to hide from accountability. He will wreck alliances, compromise intelligence sources, and endanger our troops to please Putin. There’s a word for that."

The conservatives in my circle shy away when donald is mentioned.

I have the noticed the same with some friends and family members. None were especially pro-Trump prior to the election, but they were all "But Hillary is worse"!

Now there's no "But Hillary" to soften Trump's continued repulsiveness.

1 hour ago, Saticon3 said:

"You may have noticed by now, but I’m not one to pull any punches on DonaldTrump. As a conservative, I see him as a statist abomination, a plump, be-wattled authoritarian-wannabe man-baby with the intellectual horsepower of a toaster oven."

The writer's always hated Trump as all "establishment" so called "conservatives" do.  Just letting you know if you think this is another harbinger of Trump's supporters deserting him.

:lol:

You always deliver the pure Trumpist world view.  Seems like everyone is "establishment" or "rino" or "deep state" or whatever the latest excuse is.

"the intellectual horsepower of a toaster oven"  tough times for decent people.